Road trip to Capitol Reef, UT

fosterama

Glasseye is a great photographer and I've enjoyed his Adobe Spark images of his trips in Frito.
I just got back from a Utah camping trip and thought I'd try using Spark- pretty intuitive and easy to use although I know it is better to have pictures reside on this site as opposed to the cloud.
I don't own a camera- I just point my i-phone and shoot.
Hope this works:

https://spark.adobe.com/page/OjnDp97r7dDJs/

glasseye

Superb, Dan! Great shots! Made us feel like we were right there with you.

I'd love to get some dramatic clouds like that, but I'm not sure Frito could handle those washouts. You hit a few spots that are on my next-year list. Thanks for reminding me about them.

Spark sure makes it fun, eh?

fosterama

Thanks!
Usually the Notom-Bullfrog road after the pavement ends is fine for Winnebagos and low slung rental cars- teeth rattling wash board at times but still accessible. Like most dirt roads in Utah, though, once it rains all bets are off on making it through.
SE Utah is one of my favorite destinations.
Although I don't have any skill as a photographer sometimes being in the right spot at the right time makes for some great images.

Rock Doc

I love Capitol Reef! Another great road is UT Highway 24 between Capitol Reef and Bryce National Parks—a National Scenic Byway. If you’ve never driven it before, it's especially great to drive from Bryce to Capitol Ree that first time. The surprises of the scenery as it unfolds before you is breathtaking!

Rock Doc

Mein Sprinter

Known member
Glasseye is a great photographer and I've enjoyed his Adobe Spark images of his trips in Frito.
I just got back from a Utah camping trip and thought I'd try using Spark- pretty intuitive and easy to use although I know it is better to have pictures reside on this site as opposed to the cloud.
I don't own a camera- I just point my i-phone and shoot.
Hope this works:

https://spark.adobe.com/page/OjnDp97r7dDJs/
Awesome... Can you name and describe the Roads taken that also have side off road allowable camping. We prefer boondock camping in lieu of campgrounds.

Very much interested in going there from our station in Prescott, AZ.

Thank you..

Cheers...

fosterama

Hi Meinsprinter,
Sorry for the delayed response- just got back from another Utah trip- this time with my wife.

capitol reef hickman bridge trail.JPG

You'll have a great time in southern Utah.
The various Parks and Monuments all have ranger stations that are great sources of information.
Definitely worth the stop as you move from one area to another.
For the latest weather outlook, road conditions, places to drive, topping off your water jugs, maps, guide books, hiking info (and flush toilets!) they can't be beat.
Google searches will also help find those lonely roads off the beaten path where you want to boondock.
There is a wealth of info on obscure tracks and possible campsite locations on the internet.
The National Parks and the roads between them from Zion to Bryce to Capitol Reef to Canyonlands and Arches are crowded in the peak spring and fall seasons.
Despite the crowds all of them are worth the stop or drive thru- some of the prettiest land in the USA.
All it takes to get away from the masses is to hike farther than an overlook or get off the main highway and drive a side road.

trail to sipapu bridge natural bridges.JPG

Lots of the tourists are trying to "do" all the parks and move from one to another each day.
If it's Tuesday it must be Bryce!
Those on a slower schedule can find solitude and nice dispersed camping away from the fray.
Escalante and Bears Ears Monuments aren't on the radar of a lot of travelers and there is a lot of BLM land in Utah!
The Cottonwood Canyon road , Hole in the Rock road, Burr Trail, and Cedar Mesa area would be some good starting points for some possible places to get your van dusty!

owachomo bridge natural bridges.JPG

Sometimes the best places are found by accident just exploring around...
Stay safe and have fun on your road trip!
:thumbup:

Top Bottom