Best suspension upgrades for westie

discus

GA Westy
Old Crows,
I really haven't made up my mind. The sway about 60mph was bothering me at first but after inflating to 70 front 80 rear, I can drive a lot easier but you can feel the rock hard tires!

coloradobjj

Follow up, I put the Roadmaster active suspension on, huge difference, feels totally acceptable now. I am still on the original shocks so I cant help to wonder how its gonna feel if I put new Konis on. only 20k on my van so not sure if the shocks get worn out just sitting. Thoughts? its definitely not a need anymore though, Roadmasters did the trick! Thanks for everyone's Knowledge.

Wasaabi

Sprinter Westfalia #133
Follow-up here regarding higher pressures in front. I was already quite happy with the Roadmaster kit but I figured why not, try 65PSI in front. Well, the stability has gotten even better. Thanks for that tip! It feels like a Mercedes now ;) Seriously I am amazed from where it started to how great the van feels now. I find myself having to consciously slow down because nothing about the handling reminds me to do it.

discus

GA Westy
Wasaabi, next thing you should try is dynamat extreme under the hood and behind the 2 front doors. The engine transmitted so much noise inside we could not even hear each other or use the radio. It is now a significantly quieter and more relaxing drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

discus

GA Westy
Just an update on the sumosprings. I got an email back saying the solos are sufficient for the westy. From the dimensions that i got, the fronts would work as the sumo springs would be preloaded as soon as the vehicle is lowered after install. Unless your rear leafs are flat, it wont work as there would still be a 1/2" gap between the bottom of the sumo and the axle. I guess it would come into play when the vehicle is fully loaded at the back or if you are exiting the driveway at an angle.

I got a good deal for the fronts with free shipping. I will give that a try this week and report back after a few weeks after ive driven it about 200 miles.

discus

GA Westy
Im happy to report that SumoSprings SSF 106-40~47 works very well for the Westy. I just completed a 700 mile drive. It tracks straighter now at 60lbs than without the Sumo at 70lbs. Drove through crosswinds and thunderstorms and it was a nice and easy drive. Thanks Old Crows

sprinter_wy

Hi Discus

We are also about to do something about reducing sway of our Westy - especially in the Wyoming winds this makes sense!

As a first step we were thinking about the Sumos. Just to be sure about what you did could you please confirm two things:

1. You only installed the front Sumos
2. The Sumo model you used were the Solo #SSF-106-40 shown here http://shop.supersprings.com/p/sumosprings-solo-ssf-106-40
(wanted to confirm this as you also had a "46" in your description in your earlier post)

Cheers!

discus

GA Westy
Hi Discus

We are also about to do something about reducing sway of our Westy - especially in the Wyoming winds this makes sense!

As a first step we were thinking about the Sumos. Just to be sure about what you did could you please confirm two things:

2. The Sumo model you used were the Solo #SSF-106-40 shown here http://shop.supersprings.com/p/sumosprings-solo-ssf-106-40
(wanted to confirm this as you also had a "46" in your description in your earlier post)

Cheers!
Check out - http://supersprings.com/sumosprings_front_installation.asp. Item #5 is SSF-106-40~47 as 40 and 47 are now the same item. Are you using oversize and wider tires like the LTX AT2? You may experience some fender rubbing if you encounter a dip on the road at high speeds. Otherwise, its been great.

I installed front and back since I already ordered them. The back still had 1/2" gap between the sumo spring and axle so they are useless until you load up the Westy I guess.

Check streetsideauto also for prices on the front sumo. SD will match and beat the price if you call. Good luck!

Joe Manzione
Customer Service
tf: (877) 774-6473 ext. 212
customerservice@sdtrucksprings.com
Call him and use code is SALE20. Tell him I referred you.

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
Hi Discus

Cheers!
Suggest doing rear first.......might be all you need. Short drive will tell.

Wasaabi, next thing you should try is dynamat extreme under the hood and behind the 2 front doors. The engine transmitted so much noise inside we could not even hear each other or use the radio. It is now a significantly quieter and more relaxing drive.

The OEM hoodliner on my rig has been damaged by mice sometime in it's past, so I was looking for a replacement. A couple of questions.

1) Did you remove and discard the OEM hoodliner and apply the dynamat extreme across the entire underside of the hood structure or did you remove the OEM hoodliner, piece the dynamat on the underside of the sheetmetal forming the actual hood then replace the OEM hoodliner.

2) Did you consider using Dynamat's Hoodliner instead of the dynamat extreme ? http://www.dynamat.com/brands/hoodliner/

Along similar lines. I added a second set of weather stripping to the drivers and passenger side doors of my Westfalia. I did the same thing in my Sprinter View. Quiets the ride significantly and looks OEM. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQT5G8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Different Sumo models on website, including one which attaches at top and at the bottom (rear axle). Wonder if that model is available for Sprinter as that model would always be in play as no gap between Sumon and rear axle. Probably have to call SumoSprings folks.

discus

GA Westy
The sumo springs solo will not be effective at the back of the westy unless the van is fully loaded. The maxim is expensive. Since the solo is the only one available for the front, I would suggest doing front first. Cheap and you can always add the maxim at the back later.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Called SumoSprings folks and was told no Maxims available for rear axle on 2004 Sprinters (2005 Westies on 2004 chassis), only the Solos.

Am waiting for return call to check re Solos on front (rep couldn't find for front which may be a change in availability or just an out-of-date system).

discus

GA Westy
Sumo solo for front is the same model for ford and sprinter. 40 or 47 will both work.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Current information. Supersprings (Sumo) has a vehicle selector on their website. Also confirmed with tech support.

Front is SSF-401-54 ($153.00, free shipping)
Rear is SSR-325-47 ($185.40, free shipping)

These are all Solo Sumo Springs (rubber stops attached at top). No Rebel or Maxim models are available for our Sprinter.

The front SSF-401-54 is yellow or orangey in photos. Instructions for installation also are for Jeep Wrangler.

The rear SSR-325-47 is black.

The last two digits reflect the density; higher the number means more dense. As the front is shorter, company went with denser material.

Can shop around for slightly cheaper prices.

Personally have not gotten around to doing yet, but on my list. CampingWorld might be an option for installation as do need to jack up vehicle and allow front or rear wheels/axle to dangle for front or rear installation.

Last edited:

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Note: Prior information may have become outdated as SuperSprings updated their numbering and models. Some websites may still have older information and model numbers, so good to double-check.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Previously, folks were using 106-40 or 106-47 in the front. The top of these SumoSprings is flat like the original bumperstops so there is lots of surface area support.

The new SSF-401-54 (which apparently is rates for the same capacity as the prior 106 versions) has a "hole punch" circular cylinder at the top so the surface area is reduced to the rim of a metal can.

Don't know why the change. Less surface area support. Would look like moisture could could collect in it as well. Photo of the original bumperstop and the nrw SSF-401-54.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showpost.php?p=477937&postcount=15

Top Bottom