Propane vs. Diesel generator?

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
Where I'm at (California high desert) one has to run AC about 12 if not 24 hours a day, and at 100 degrees plus the propane genny has a hard time starting the second AC when its hot.
Uncle Dave
Second AC? I am guessing you are not driving a Sprinter...

I did just take a trip across country at the peak of the heat. We ran the AC while driving, but got used to the heat at night. I guess the one night in Phoenix was the only night we plugged in and ran the AC all night. The campers do get hot, I think the Serenity is the worst at shedding heat, with that low (read thin) roof and tiny window openings. I can open the roof, which I prefer to opening the doors, one of the reasons I got the RV, but I do miss the ability to open the whole back and side and have the RV cool in minutes. But when the bugs are out having screens on everything like the Serenity does, even came with screens for the cab, I can leave the windows open and walk away. Not gonna come back to 1000 bugs circling the LED lights.

-Randy

ps. We had AC problems this trip. Got to Lake Havasu and discovered it was not blowing cold enough, but a trip to the dealer in Phoenix got us back and running. I won't lie, that is a HOT part of the world. The guys putting our mattress in, lifting the old one in and out at 110 in the shade and our camper in the sun, I'da passed out, but I come from foggy summers. I was glued to their swamp cooler while they worked.

Last edited:

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
Second AC? I am guessing you are not driving a Sprinter...

I did just take a trip across country at the peak of the heat. We ran the AC while driving, but got used to the heat at night. I guess the one night in Phoenix was the only night we plugged in and ran the AC all night. The campers do get hot, I think the Serenity is the worst at shedding heat, with that low (read thin) roof and tiny window openings. I can open the roof, which I prefer to opening the doors, one of the reasons I got the RV, but I do miss the ability to open the whole back and side and have the RV cool in minutes. But when the bugs are out having screens on everything like the Serenity does, even came with screens for the cab, I can leave the windows open and walk away. Not gonna come back to 1000 bugs circling the LED lights.

-Randy

ps. We had AC problems this trip. Got to Lake Havasu and discovered it was not blowing cold enough, but a trip to the dealer in Phoenix got us back and running. I won't lie, that is a HOT part of the world. The guys putting our mattress in, lifting the old one in and out at 110 in the shade and our camper in the sun, I'da passed out, but I come from foggy summers. I was glued to their swamp cooler while they worked.
yes and no...obviously the 2 AC unit is the motorhome.

To clarify- I have a diesel 8000 in my sprinter and a propane 6300 in my Motohome (for now)

My wife runs an energy hungry business out of the sprinter (pet grooming) , and the motorhome is simple hedonism.

Ill probably outfit the motorhome with an identical genset as a backup for the business.

Welcome to my world!

UD

Last edited:

pattonsr

I just stumbled across this tidbit regarding the 3.2 KW Onan diesel generator. The Onan EC-30 autostart does not support the QD3200. I looked at the Magnum AGS module and found a warning that the QD3200 is not supported. The Onan QG 3600 propane is supported along with almost everything Onan has offered for the last 10 years.

If your pets are left alone for part of the day with AC on via shore power and the shore power goes off, then the EC-30 (or EC-30W) will turn on the generator and support the air conditioner. But this strategy will not work if one has the QD3200. The QD3200 came out in 2007 and is the baby of the Quiet Diesel line that is used by many Class A RVs. It appears that the QD3200 did things differently and is not compatible with remote autostart.

This only matters if one is planning to add the EC-30W to provide for pet safety. The EC-30W is wireless and is designed for easy customer installation.

avid

Saphira's rider
I hate to name drop, but DEAN told me that onan/cummins doesn't even make the diesel generator. IIRC he said it was a European manufactured model that is rebadged to Onan. I asked pointedly about this because I am not a fan of propane generators either.

I wish the motorhome manufacturers would simply provide a bay to store either a Yamaha or Honda portable. They are much, much quieter, more efficient and less expensive. Here is a real eye opener. Owners of big diesel pushers are starting to carry portable generators because they are less expensive to own and maintain. But oh, those 10K diesel gensets on pull out front trays are sexy!

Last edited:

pattonsr

Avid,

That would explain why the QD3200 seemed like someone else designed it. I found it really odd that the Onan EC-30 did not support it. Now it makes sense.

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
Owners of big diesel pushers are starting to carry portable generators because they are less expensive to own and maintain.
Yeah, if the genset was missing you would have all that space available for a second set of batteries fed by a big alternator and solar panels. I just bought 245 watts of flexible panels for my RV.

SolarVansmall.jpg

Get a big inverter to run the AC to cool off the van, or run the microwave or keurig. If you needed to recharge and didn't want to run the engine and were not near shore power you could get the little Honda and set it on the ground so the vibrations don't transfer. Sweet!

Why is it every time I dream of modifying the electrical I always have to come back to what I already have? Yes, my Honda's gonna get stolen on the ground. Yes you cannot run the 13,500 BTU AC on batteries. Funny how experience in what sells makes RV manufacturers able to make a better RV than I can dream up.

-Randy

Last edited:

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
I hate to name drop, but DEAN told me that onan/cummins doesn't even make the diesel generator. IIRC he said it was a European manufactured model that is rebadged to Onan. I asked pointedly about this because I am not a fan of propane generators either.

I wish the motorhome manufacturers would simply provide a bay to store either a Yamaha or Honda portable. They are much, much quieter, more efficient and less expensive. Here is a real eye opener. Owners of big diesel pushers are starting to carry portable generators because they are less expensive to own and maintain. But oh, those 10K diesel gensets on pull out front trays are sexy!
I employ this strategy and it isn't a panacea.

I don't know anyone that has a diesel genset in their RV that uses portables because that move forces you to carry and use a (highly volatile) third fuel.

No true portables will start and run a 15K AC unit, and it takes two to reliably start and run a single 13.5 (not equipped with a hard start kit) if its hot or if you are at altitude. Is a yamaha 3000ISEB - "portable"?

As for maintenance and economy- I disagree The oil change interval on the water cooled diesels is usually 150 hours vs what 20 for a honda 2K? The portable when used long periods need frequent valve adjustments and timing belt changes.

The RVQD 8000 in the grooming van idles at a few hundred watts using only .13 gallons an hour. This is honda 2K consumption level.

I have a propane genset and use portables a lot but if I had a diesel I would leave those babies at home.

UD

avid

Saphira's rider
I employ this strategy and it isn't a panacea.

I don't know anyone that has a diesel genset in their RV that uses portables

I have a propane genset and use portables a lot but if I had a diesel I would leave those babies at home.
Thanks for your opinion! Others don't agree with your POV.

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
Thanks for your opinion! Others don't agree with your POV.
There are facts and there are opinions - everyone has an opinion.

Your statement -

"They are much, much quieter, more efficient and less expensive. Here is a real eye opener. Owners of big diesel pushers are starting to carry portable generators because they are less expensive to own and maintain."

This statement (other than purchase price ) - is contradictory to the available data.

Diesels being water cooled are quieter, run cheaper, and require less maintenance. - full stop.
A honda running a laptop charger is quiet- a honda running an AC unit is a roaring little bastard.

IF you have 3rd party data to the contrary throw it out.

UD

Last edited:

icarus

Not all diesels are water cooled...not all propane or Petrol gennies are air cooled. Generalities are not always true.

5 5 kw lister diesel (air cooled) at 1800 rpm makes tons of noise, but less than my former 10 kw water cooled lister.

Icarus

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
Not all diesels are water cooled...not all propane or Petrol gennies are air cooled. Generalities are not always true.

5 5 kw lister diesel (air cooled) at 1800 rpm makes tons of noise, but less than my former 10 kw water cooled lister.

Icarus
I never said "all."

The Context in my quote is Avids - big diesel pusher gensets mounted in front slides.

Dont know of any of those in that class that are air cooled.

UD

SullyVan

2005 T1N Conversion
Dave, this gensets interested me greatly. I see the big pushers open both bays to create a cross breeze, leave them under the coach and run them.

Not quieter than the Hondas... but pretty close. Considering they could power a small town and do not have the rv or marine markup, pretty cool.

I'd say purchase price as well as fuel efficiency go into the equation?

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
Dave, this gensets interested me greatly. I see the big pushers open both bays to create a cross breeze, leave them under the coach and run them.

Not quieter than the Hondas... but pretty close. Considering they could power a small town and do not have the rv or marine markup, pretty cool.

I'd say purchase price as well as fuel efficiency go into the equation?
Which genset are you referring to?

UD

SullyVan

2005 T1N Conversion
Which genset are you referring to?

UD
No idea. Just saw them in the parking lots around the country. Nice though.

They had standard, water cooled, large 15-20kw generators in the bays of some class A pushers. Standard industrial type with radiator mounted right on the engine.

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
No idea. Just saw them in the parking lots around the country. Nice though.

They had standard, water cooled, large 15-20kw generators in the bays of some class A pushers. Standard industrial type with radiator mounted right on the engine.
The "big" stuff is usually Powertech- and they are typically perkins or kubota with some isuzu and yanmar based stuff showing up.

Yeah- super nice. In terms of dollar per watt per fuel and maintenance these are really "the bomb" and powering a small town is about right.

The medium stuff from 6-12KW is usually Onan electrical ends with Kubota 3 cylinder diesels in the classic green Onan Box.

The older stuff is constant speed (usually 1800 RPM) the newer stuff is variable RPM. Some guys like the constant stuff better as the low throb lulls them to sleep vs the changing rpm of the variables when AC compressors kick on.

Usually the AC's are so loud they drown out the relatively quiet diesels.

I lust after the RVQD 8000 the wife has in her Sprinter.

UD

Last edited:

Fletcher500

I am considering a Serenity. I figured the diesel gen set would make more sense because its drawing from the main fuel tank, and the burn rate of the little gen should only be about 1/4 gal per hour..rough estimate.

The specs I read also noted the leveler is not available with the diesel, but that's not a deal killer...I think.

For the propane, where is your tank located, and how do you fill it? Is it a stationary tank, or do you have to remove it, and walk it to the fill station?

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
The LP tank is mid body behind the axel, there is a remote fill on your service panel. I prefer the propane generator. It will not get oily and gross over the years, always clean burning.

Luckyme1980

I am considering a Serenity. I figured the diesel gen set would make more sense because its drawing from the main fuel tank, and the burn rate of the little gen should only be about 1/4 gal per hour..rough estimate.

The specs I read also noted the leveler is not available with the diesel, but that's not a deal killer...I think.

For the propane, where is your tank located, and how do you fill it? Is it a stationary tank, or do you have to remove it, and walk it to the fill station?
Based on some discussions with a Leisure Van dealer, diesel was my choice. Just purchased our Serenity, and flying out Friday to take delivery and drive home 1250 miles. I think the Diesel gen set is overpriced, but worth the convenience of not burning through so much propane. We compared a Diesel generator vs. a propane unit in 2 different RV's parked side by side, noise level and odor, and found such a minimal difference.

Top Bottom