Lippert Auto Step Problem

ishwashgus

Steps quit on me on my trip west. Lippert "Coach Step" model, two stepper. Examined it in my shop and found the little gear motor that positions the steps to be shot. Got to thinking about installing a new one myself and can picture the output gear of the little gear motor having to be installed in exactly the right position on the gear plate that is attached to the steps. Is a bit of a timing problem it appears.

Anybody ever attempt this job themselves, who might give me a pointer on it. I would think the steps have to be in the all-the-way-out position, but even in this position, I could easily install the gear motor out of position a tooth or two or three. May have to take it to Forest River shop, huh...heck, Lippert may not even sell me one directly anyway, haven't checked.

ishwashgus

Ok, guess I didn't need your help on this. Found answer on my own. A lady mechanic YouTube-er showed how to replace a Kwikee step gear motor for a two step Kwikee (or was it a three step, can't remember), The steps have to be in the all-the-way-extended position to install the replacement gear motor. It helps to not jack the steps into a tight extended position though, helps to be sort of in a relaxed state so you can more easily install the gear motor bolts, three of them. Also, there is a center bolt on the flat plate that has gear-teeth that the gear-motor operates; the teeth are on its side. This bolt is an allen-head bolt, and it needs to be loosened a bit to provide some additional slack for reinstalling the three gear motor bolts. Another important consideration: When you get the gear motor up and bolted in, don't plug it in until you are clear of the step mechanism. If you are in the way; the closing steps could easily break a finger or bruise a hand, foot or leg. Lippert does not call this a gear motor; they call it a step motor. The part number for my Lippert Coach Step step motor is 300-1406, and it is the same step motor that most Lippert Coach Steps use. Stromberg Carlson part number SP1636669 is an equal. Get a new step motor from Amazon and ebay, or of course, Lippert.

If this is in the wrong place, may the forum boss-man could move it to the right place?

Solera2012

Here is what I found on my one step retractable. Purchased replacement motor assy. Looked at the various posts on difficulty in alignment of the three long skinny bolts that hold it in place, working upside down, with minimal clearance.

Just unplug the unit, in my case four large bolts held it in place, used a floor jack under it, and lowered it for clearance to remove from under the MH.

Upon inspection, after unbolting the banjo arm connecting the motor to the step mech., I could freely, in my case not so much, move the unit back and forth in its travel position. Detected major resistance, and the culprit was the non-greaseable pivot hinge had gotten moisture incursion. After much introduction of lubricants, moving the step mech. Many times it freed to an acceptable degree.

Also, addressed the abundant rust, paint peeling, etc. Upon reinstall, it was immediately evident, that the motor was working under extreme load, because after this exercise it was considerably quicker.

My take away is; you are MUCH BETTER OFF removing the unit to give it a complete make over. I can't tell you enough on how frustrating it was to try and align the three long skinny motor attachment bolts, with it on saw horses right in front of me. One post I read was very helpful in that you think you lost your mind on why one bolt refuses to thread correctly, until you see it's such a non spec tolerance, that you need to be in the right work position to reassemble.

Top Bottom