Need advise on roof top AC vs. packaged AC

Saturn949

Hi. I have 2004 MB cruiser , the one with roof top AC in the middle. It is Duotherm Pinguin 2 model 12000btu It does take about 14A to run. Makes terrible noise and vibration but working. I did use it o my trip to Utah Arizona however this was about it. It can be used only wen stay with the plug.

My Onan gen-set quit on me last summer - I was really want to strangle engineers who designed to install this rattle-box inside of the van on the same floor as rest of RV. I had to remove access door frame in order to get generator out just to find that PLASTIC starter motor sprocket fall apart due to edge and heat inside of this compartment without any adequate ventilation. Needless to say it was to darn loud to be inside when AC was running on the gen-set.

My use of the van and needs for AC only in the RV park stay, I did not do much boon-docking so not running on generator, It would be great to have AC for 1 hr or so while i'm in rest stop on my way to Arches or Moab in Utah.
What I found- single Honda EU2000 or Champion will not be able to run roof top AC and I need a two of thous. There is no space to store two and I do not want to install Onan back. I rather use space for much needed storage or carry small and quiet generator when I will needed. On other side I have recently rebuild my power system and install 300Ah Litium battery with 2000W inverter so small window type let say 5000 btu type AC will consume only 550W or so I will have enough battery t run this small AC for 1 hr as I wanted.
I thinking to build a mini-split AC unit from 5000btu window packaged AC what i have to experiment with where cold coil and fan will be inside and compressor and hot side outside. Would have to use two 12v fans to. from space calculation 5000btu should be adequate to cool at list 250 sq/ft room and van under 100.
The other very easy way- I can install AC inside of empty generator box-box must be opened at stops when AC will be on the only draw back will be that AC is in the bathroom.

I do have fantastic fan in the bathroom and MAAXFAN in the front area.

In general I think it is better in the long run not to have 100lb weight on the roof making tall van top heavy, and roof I think will play a bit with 100lb load on road bumps. It also may cost some loss in mpg if I drive a lot HWY speeds. Temperature wise it is probably hottest spot right on the sun baking making not as efficient.

Sorry for the long post but want to cover all aspects.
I would like to hear your opinion .
Just keep old AC on roof as is and use two fans what I have. I have not tested 2 fans in Arizona reast stops do you think it will be enough?
Remove old AC use roof opening to install European style Feema skylight and build mini-split or insert in gen-set box 5000 btu system? Is 5000btu will be enough.
Do you think having new skylight will loose more heat in winter month?
Oh almost forgot, later on I will add 200W solar panels to the van so with this and small, 5A consuming AC it will be partially solar powered AC.
Thanks.

Last edited:

andrewj

Get a portable LG or similar and one Honda. Both might fit in the old Gen spot for travel mode. Convert through Honda to propane, put unit in, and hose our, fire up Gen and you will be cold.

15psi

I put a 8000 LG in my Rialta, removed Onan, and used Honda 2000. Worked good, especially at night. Very quiet.
It was in generator box. But on hot days it couldn't really keep up. Surely would not be enough for these larger RVs.
What you might want to try is a easy start. Not the capacitor type. https://id144248.webhosting.optonli...anager/product_info.php?cPath=4&products_id=4

not cheap but it actually works. ($314) Capacitors can actually make it harder to start with generator.

Look in to the Mini-splits ACs. Like a 10k.

Also you might want to turn off the RV battery charger/inverter and try the honda with AC only. Most people don't realise that the charger is using a ton of energy charging the batteries in the background, when ever you plug in 120v.

Last edited:

Top Bottom