Concession Trailer - Tesla battery powered

HarryN

Hi, my son and his ex wife had this trailer custom built as an eco friendly, quiet concession stand.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CUSTOM-TESL...514718?hash=item2cb30cb21e:g:asIAAOSwAuZX7IoH

The locations that they were initially allotted did not allow the use of a generator, so it was built to run entirely off of batteries for the entire day, and then charged up at night. It includes air conditioning, a fully certified food preparation food kitchen, etc. The design of the roof, insulation, make it very comfortable. It was used on the Gulf Coast of FL in the summer with good comfort.

I considered to buy it and make it into a camping trailer, but I don't have truck to pull it and am more into sprinter conversions.

It is extremely well built with a steel frame, even in the uprights because one of the upgrade plans called for the roof to be covered with solar panels, which are quite heavy.

The trailer is beautiful and worked out very well. The ex-wife thing - not so well, so it is up for sale.

I prefer that you contact him via the ebay listing, but I helped design the electrical system so if you are unsure you can contact me.

Take care,

Harry

HarryN

I spoke with my son this past week and seems to be increasingly inclined to pull this off the market and keep it. Not sure if anyone is interested, but if you are, might want to speak up soon before he starts converting it into something else.

I am not interested in the trailer but would love to hear your insight into the design build of the electrical system in the rig. I have been toying around with the idea over the last few months of a solar system/lithium battery that utilizes the battery modules out of a Nissan Leaf. I have looked into the Tesla 18650 battery module approach but have not found a good source for modules that don't break the bank. Any insight you can offer would be appreciated. Wishing your son much luck on the sale of the trailer.

HarryN

In a lot of ways, it isn't that different than any other off - grid home design, except of course that it is steel framed.

In their case, all of the appliances were selected to be standard 120 VAC, single phase, so only one breaker panel was needed. That silly pinini maker pulls 2800 watts at initial warm up, which was interesting to factor in.

Nissan Leaf batteries were another option we looked at, but Nissan has a deal with a company in Japan to bring back all of the used ones for stationary storage, so they are hard to get as well. Nissan also doesn't temperature control their packs that well, so they wear out faster, especially in hot environments.

There is a lot of demand in the EU for used Tesla modules, so many of them end up there.

The big challenge with all of these home built Li battery pack projects is that most of them cannot be sold to anyone else. It takes a lot of focus, design effort, and cost to build up a setup that is safe enough to be re-sold.

To be honest, if you are struggling to afford used Tesla modules, consider instead to use Lifeline AGMs for now and upgrade to LiFe later. Their 8D is a pretty nice setup.

I just did a 5 KW-Hr (4 KW-Hr usable) LiFe system for a sprinter customer and it is around $12K by the time you use "rated / certified" batteries, controls, breakers, etc. It seems crazy, but that is the real price of doing a LiFe pack setup correctly as a "product".

Top Bottom