First leak!

DiverBob

2018 Unity TB
My wife and I were returning to Michigan after a trip to Florida in our 2018 Twin Bed. Last night we stopped overnight in a Cracker Barrel parking lot near Indianapolis. After we stopped it started raining and it kept raining harder with very gusty winds as the night went on. By morning when we woke up the rain and winds had stopped. My wife quickly found a large wet spot on the side of her bed located right under the emergency access window (drivers side). A quick look with a flash light clearly showed the leak was not coming from below the mattress as I found some lingering dampness right around the forward corner of the emergency window. Can’t tell if the rubber around the window leaked or if it comes from the window caulking. The interior trim hides the opening and I wasn’t sure how to remove the trim properly. Besides, we were ready to move on and get home today!
As I’m only about a month way from the end of the 2 year warranty I contacted LTV who quickly said to get it into our dealer for repairs.
This will be the first time we have needed any ‘warranty‘ level repair work, after 37,000 miles and over 2 years the RV has been remarkably trouble-free other than the occasional loose wood screw. Calling to set up the appointment tomorrow, will have them look at and repair a couple of other minor weather stripping issues around the door and another window (no leaks from them). There are a couple of minor things that need fixing but we weren’t concerned about, as long as its in the shop might as well get everything taken care of!

C21bill

2018 Unity TB
Please let us know what you find. We had the same leak in our 18 Twin after a hard wind driven rain while in Quartzsite. Our's is probably from the same issue. After a hard rain with no wind yesterday, we inspected the window area and all was dry so wind was a factor in our leak.
Thanks,
Bill

DiverBob

2018 Unity TB
As some businesses were opening today I called the RV dealer to get a status update. The service manger said they had finished the last step in the leak repair and that we could come pick it up!

We arrived and talked a bit with the manager, they had misted the outside of the window and confirmed the emergency window was leaking between the window fram and House body. Although we are at 38,400 miles, LTV picked up most of the cost of repairs which made us happy campers. They didn’t see what specifically was leaking when they removed the window. As I was told, LTV uses a expanding foam to make the seal and glues in the window. They cleaned all that up and used a butyl rubber as a seal. They also added a cap seal along the top of the window to prevent any standing water from finding its way where it shouldn’t be.

still can’t go anywhere yet but now I can work on some planned changes and fixes at the house.

Top Bottom