Shell ATF 134 availability?

random

05 140" SHC 2500 Cargo
I can't find the last source i purchased from on here, and i am unable to use the search function for some reason ( i suspect my phone is a POS), so I'm asking here. Where can i get some shell atf134 cheap? Im in NW oregon.
Thanks!

Go to shells website and search for the nearest distributor. Call and see if they will sell you a case.
A local industrial lubricant supplier doesn't stock Shell 134, but will order it for me in case lots. One case is enough for an order. It is considerably cheaper buying that way vs any automotive suppliers that I've found.

:2cents: vic

Mike DZ

2016 View 24V (2015 3500)
Amazon - case of 12 - $120 --- since I am a Prime member, no additional shipping and since I am a $20 dollar bridge toll from any metro area, cost effective

Ciprian

Spark Plugs not allowed!
Last time I bought a case of 12 at a shell distributor it was around $70.00.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
I buy mine at my local NAPA (Canada) store... I think ATF134 was around Cad$8.50 per bottle for the last case I bought?
Like Zerex G05 coolant, it’s usually behind the counter, and often at the warehouse... but they stock it.

-dave

ions82

I opted for the Valvoline Max Life. Available at Walmart and is much cheaper. Meets all the necessary specs. Lubeguard additives are another good option. As I understand it, some of them will bring Dex III up to most 4+ specs. No idea how much truth there is to that, but their products are widely respected.

Ciprian

Spark Plugs not allowed!
Unless anything changed, Valvoline MaxLife does not have the MB approval. However, I thought it was good enough and I used it without issue.

ions82

Unless anything changed, Valvoline MaxLife does not have the MB approval. However, I thought it was good enough and I used it without issue.

Perhaps I misread or read some misinformation. Supposedly, the NAG1 is a good transition. Of course, if one uses anything but a VEEEEEERRRYY specific fluid, the whole thing will grenade. I'd better go check the ultra-fine print again that specifies the series of numbers. MB 1.22.32.91.42.13.51.76.61.37.54.

lindenengineering

If you buy a certain exchange transmission from a nationwide re-builder you will get Maxlife labelled bottles, sometimes in a plain generic container included in the box to fill, once installed.

We have filled it with that supplied fluid with no repercussions whatsoever where supplied .

As a house rule though we fill with the Shell product in an MB bottle only for recognized commercial reasons.

Dennis

I opted for the Valvoline Max Life. Available at Walmart and is much cheaper. Meets all the necessary specs.
Valvoline Max Life [was Dex Merc] is basically synthetic ATFIII. :thumbup:

As I understand it, some of them will bring Dex III up to most 4+ specs. No idea how much truth there is to that, but their products are widely respected.
There is no reason to worry about ATF +4 spec fluid for the NAG1 transmission. Synthetic ATF III is the base fluid.

From my 2004 manual. (MB236.14 is intended for newer transmissions and is backward compatible to the MB236.10 and MB236.12 listed for the T1N's.)

2004ManualOilSpec01.jpg

As an aside. Note that Synthetic ATF III is also good to use as power steering fluid.

:2cents: vic

Last edited:

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
Fwiw my trans was filled with ATF +4 after a lasting minute contact plate replacement. 3 yrs and very few miles (maybe 3k) I had solenoid valves sticking, failing to engage gears. I dropped the pan and contact plate, cleaned the solenoid bores, there was a lot of black fine particles throughout the areas cleaned. Used shell 134 and a new filter. That was a bit over 1 year ago. Many miles since no problems yet. I was concerned with the black particles....will see if more have been generated by next oil change....if no particles, my conclusion will be that ATF+4 is not an ideal oil for the Nag1.

Thanks for the input. :thumbup:

There have been a number of reports where Dodge dealerships and independent shops recommend ATF +4 for T1N Sprinters. That doesn't mean that they are correct.

... Many miles since no problems yet. I was concerned with the black particles....will see if more have been generated by next oil change....if no particles, my conclusion will be that ATF+4 is not an ideal oil for the Nag1.
The official information contained in the Operator Manual that came with my 2004 (look above) would support your conclusion. Synthetic Dexron III aka ATF III is listed. There is no mention of ATF +4 at all.

:cheers: vic

P.S. - Thanks for the "+4" reminder. I easily fall into using "4+". I think it is related to confusion with the DOT 4+ brake fluid name.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Its important to note that it may be possible for a product to meet both Dex III and ATF 4 (not that I have seen one). I can confirm that the dodge bulk supplied ATF +4 is not ideal for the sprinter, as my van had a fresh change at a dealer before I bought it, and the results were not desirable.

random

05 140" SHC 2500 Cargo
Thanks men. Ive had good luck with the shell so im not budging off of it. My napa doesnt do shell products, and I dont use Amazon . But found a shell distributor in portland that says $30 for 6 qts, just gotta go pick it up. I had him reoeat that price twice, i couldn't believe it.

Thanks men. Ive had good luck with the shell so im not budging off of it. My napa doesnt do shell products, and I dont use Amazon . But found a shell distributor in portland that says $30 for 6 qts, just gotta go pick it up. I had him repeat that price twice, i couldn't believe it.
My guess is that they stock it. That's right in the ballpark of the price which I paid for case lots of 12/case.

As I have been trying to say in many of these transmission fluid threads, stay away from Auto Supply businesses and check with industrial suppliers. The quantity needed for an order may not be in quarts, but if you're willing to buy per case, the price will be better.

My price per gallon for approved engine coolant could be wonderful... I only own 2 sprinters and the coolant change recommendation is around 150,000 miles. 55 gallon drum lots don't work. Shell 134 case lots do.

Last edited:

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
Thanks for the input. :thumbup:

There have been a number of reports where Dodge dealerships and independent shops recommend ATF +4 for T1N Sprinters. That doesn't mean that they are correct.

The official information contained in the Operator Manual that came with my 2004 (look above) would support your conclusion. Synthetic Dexron III aka ATF III is listed. There is no mention of ATF +4 at all.

P.S. - Thanks for the "+4" reminder. I easily fall into using "4+". I think it is related to confusion with the DOT 4+ brake fluid name.
Pretty sure my 2005 manual says ATF+4 is a suitable fluid if the spec fluid is not available (of course myself and others think it isn’t).
To be fair +4 may be suitable for short term use. The sprinter that had the +4 in it was not mine yet, and quite probably if the +4 was changed out after months and limited miles, not years and a few thousand miles, I imagine no problems would have occurred.

Top Bottom