Failed Flex Solar Panel Install

Geriakt

2017 View 24J
Attached is a good reason not to install Flex Solar PV panels. Not only did the heat generated by the panels discolor and degrade the gel coat, it dis-bonded the fiberglass from the fiber roof panel. Don't install these panels. Not only they don't last more than 2years, they damage your RV.

Attachments

hippy

Hardware Modifier
Wow that's a nasty effect from the heat.
Hopefully you can get it sorted out.
Mark

Winterbagoal

2018 Winnebago Navion 24V on a 2017 Cab Chassis
Attached is a good reason not to install Flex Solar PV panels. Not only did the heat generated by the panels discolor and degrade the gel coat, it dis-bonded the fiberglass from the fiber roof panel. Don't install these panels. Not only they don't last more than 2years, they damage your RV.
Assuming it's mounted on a newer View/Navion/whatever, wouldn't the Winnebago roof warranty cover that?

Geriakt

2017 View 24J
Assuming it's mounted on a newer View/Navion/whatever, wouldn't the Winnebago roof warranty cover that?
I made the mistake and installed this myself in 2017. So my fault for not knowing. I just want to point out to others not to make the same mistake. These flex panels cost more than ridged and only last 2 years as apposed to 25 years for ridged.

Winnebago and LTV are installing this crap at the factory. Do not purchase a new unit with flex panels on it. Install ridged PV.

I am currently upgrading my solar array. I also want to point out don't mix and match PV of different sizes and amps. I did not know the math does not add up and there is a loss of efficiency when doing this.
https://solarpanelsvenue.com/mixing-solar-panels/

Winterbagoal

I made the mistake and installed this myself in 2017. So my fault for not knowing. I just want to point out to others not to make the same mistake. These flex panels cost more than ridged and only last 2 years as apposed to 25 years for ridged.

Winnebago and LTV are installing this crap at the factory. Do not purchase a new unit with flex panels on it. Install ridged PV.

I am currently upgrading my solar array. I also want to point out don't mix and match PV of different sizes and amps. I did not know the math does not add up and there is a loss of efficiency when doing this.
https://solarpanelsvenue.com/mixing-solar-panels/
Yikes!
I have 3 on my roof. All 100W. 2 Mounted at the factory, the 3rd mounted by my authorized Winnebago dealer. They seem to have a very thin air pocket underneath them all. They're only in "hard" contact with and sealed where they are screwed into the roof (6 screws, heavily lathered in sealant before application), and where they added some additional adhesive underneath, but seeing them installed, it's not the same sized coverage area, as the area of the entire panel. They didn't paint the adhesive on and then place the panels, they sort of "enscribed the top of the birthday cake" with a thin trail of adhesive, then placed the panel down on top of it, followed by the 6 lathered screws. I guess I'm going to have to see how long they last, and review the damage at that time.
Thanks for the info.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
People (including me) tend not to think of the fact that the panels' cells get hot (only 20% goes to electricity, the rest of the sun's energy has to be dissipated as heat and they're pretty close to black).

For us Rigid panel folks, the manuals all recommend at least a 1 inch air gap beneath the panels to allow cooling ait through.
If the flexible panels had been installed on metal, it might have helped carry away the heat.

Installing them on (fairly decent thermal insulator) fiberglass means the heat isn't going anywhere, and the fiberglass itself is a plastic that can be "cooked" over time.

--dick

Geriakt

2017 View 24J
People (including me) tend not to think of the fact that the panels' cells get hot (only 20% goes to electricity, the rest of the sun's energy has to be dissipated as heat and they're pretty close to black).

For us Rigid panel folks, the manuals all recommend at least a 1 inch air gap beneath the panels to allow cooling ait through.
If the flexible panels had been installed on metal, it might have helped carry away the heat.

Installing them on (fairly decent thermal insulator) fiberglass means the heat isn't going anywhere, and the fiberglass itself is a plastic that can be "cooked" over time.

--dick
Clearly I know much more now than before I purchased the flex panels and the reason I removed it. Is is a sad fact that no flex panel seller point out the heat issue and are designed to be glued directly to any flat or slightly curved surface. I am just trying to place a "Beware" out there not to do what I did.

The other point is both Winnebago and LTV are installing these flex panels (Go Power Brand) directly to their fiberglass roofs on a product (your $150,000 new RV) that only has a one year warranty. I think their intent is to say your RV is out of warranty after the damage is done. How can they get a RVDA/RVIA certification doing this?

Geriakt

2017 View 24J
If you still need the light weight advantage of semi-flexible solar panels, several solar companies suggest using polycarbonate twinwall panels of 8mm thickness. These panels are often used for greenhouses and have open air channels.

https://www.emarineinc.com/categories/Solbian-Solar-Panels
I would see this as an improvement aid with the generation of heat, but still most of these flex panels don't hold up to the effects of uv degration plus they cost more than a ridged framed solar panel.

Winterbagoal

Clearly I know much more now than before I purchased the flex panels and the reason I removed it. Is is a sad fact that no flex panel seller point out the heat issue and are designed to be glued directly to any flat or slightly curved surface. I am just trying to place a "Beware" out there not to do what I did.

The other point is both Winnebago and LTV are installing these flex panels (Go Power Brand) directly to their fiberglass roofs on a product (your $150,000 new RV) that only has a one year warranty. I think their intent is to say your RV is out of warranty after the damage is done. How can they get a RVDA/RVIA certification doing this?
From the 2018 Winnebago Navion brochure
"
Fiberglass Roof The one-piece fiberglass roof is
backed by a 10-year limited parts-and-labor roof
skin warranty.
"
I would think this covers damage by factory or authorized installers putting things up there that cause "skin" damage. I guess the definition of what the "skin" is will determine extent of the coverage.

Geriakt

2017 View 24J
From the 2018 Winnebago Navion brochure
"
Fiberglass Roof The one-piece fiberglass roof is
backed by a 10-year limited parts-and-labor roof
skin warranty.
"
I would think this covers damage by factory or authorized installers putting things up there that cause "skin" damage. I guess the definition of what the "skin" is will determine extent of the coverage.
Yes I did some searching to find the Winnebago roof does have a 10 year "delamination warranty". From owner posts, this does not cover bond loss from the adhesive between the one piece fiber sheet and plywood. The roof has to be blown off and have tears in it. Also Winnebago requires sealant failure two times a year. I would guess if you let the sealant fail on the role over cap, they will not cover it. Most posts of Winnebago roof failure was not covered by the warranty, but by RV insurance.

gyrogypsy

I understand now why you said you were re-fiberglassing parts of your roof. Awful!

In my case, the flex panels were easy to remove and "mostly" clean up the adhesive. You can see the the first flex panel removal spot in the 3 rigid panel installed photo, and the second flex panel removal spot just aft of the fourth rigid panel in that installation photo. I still can't find a product to remove the residual stickiness that shows up with dust, stepping on it, etc.

Attachments

Hosh

Navion 2018 24J
Ouch, I upgraded the optional 100 Zamp system with an additional 170 watt Zamp panel. AMSolar was opposed to the flexible panels mostly due to the possibility of damage during install and longer term reliability. I was skeptical of using only 3M tape without mechanical fasteners. My belt and suspenders approach was to tether the panel to the cab over “wings” with a small diameter steel cable. So far the bottom brackets are rock solid

twrooney

I understand now why you said you were re-fiberglassing parts of your roof. Awful!

In my case, the flex panels were easy to remove and "mostly" clean up the adhesive. You can see the the first flex panel removal spot in the 3 rigid panel installed photo, and the second flex panel removal spot just aft of the fourth rigid panel in that installation photo. I still can't find a product to remove the residual stickiness that shows up with dust, stepping on it, etc.
What brand panels are these, did they come as a kit with the mounting hardeware?

Geriakt

2017 View 24J

My 150watt flex panel was installed soon after I got my rig so it had been operation over 2years. The longer in use the more heat build up and the more damage it will do to the Winnebago fiberglass roof.

All new panels will be elevated for air movement to cool the PV.

retiredfields

Based on this thread, I just removed the flexible solar panels from my 2019 View. The fiberglass, under one panel, was already crazed and hairline cracks. All areas are showing heat stress. I'm glad I did thin now, rather than wait. I am installing rigid panels, in place of the flex. The pics I have seen of the 2020, shows Winnebago has wised up and is using rigid panels. If you have flex panels, and park in the sun much, you will likely have the same damage.

lenore

Winnebago 24P
If you still need the light weight advantage of semi-flexible solar panels, several solar companies suggest using polycarbonate twinwall panels of 8mm thickness. These panels are often used for greenhouses and have open air channels.

https://www.emarineinc.com/categories/Solbian-Solar-Panels
Went to a Place called TAP Plastics today and found this exact material for $80 for an entire 4x8 sheet. Had them cut four pieces to the dimensions of the Flexable solar panels. Does anybody know if this is a viable solution for cooler panels? I had them cut it with the holes facing fore and aft on the roof, thinking air flow would be better while driving. It will either work or whistle. Funny that site cost is crazy expensive for same thing.

Top Bottom