Awning window

Kiltym

I managed to remove the window and the hinge from the window to see how/why the crack started on mine, and wanted to share. I have also been trying to re-seal the crack with an acrylic adhesive/solvent, which works OK, but does not look much better then the crack itself. May help keep it from spreading until we can find a proper solution/replacement.

To remove the window, it is very easy. Standing outside the van, with the window unlatched, pull the window open a bit and unscrew the two screws holding the support struts to the hardware on the window. Once those are detached, open the window as much as possible (pretty far up), and then wiggle downward on the hinge and the window/hinge portion should simply pull away from the hinge portion that is screwed into the window frame. The hinge is basically two "U" shaped pieces that fit into one another. One on the window, and one on the frame.

Once that is off, you will see the "rivet" that seems to be the source of our crack. Well, it turns out the rivet is not actually a rivet, but simply a rubber "plug" that is used to hold the hinge in place on the window. The plug will just pull out pretty easily. Once out, the hinge can be slid off the window, exposing the issue. You could likely just remove the plug and slide the window out without ever removing the hinge (above step) also.

The issue is the hole that was drilled, not the "rivet". Too big of a hole, into not quite enough material, and overtime it weakened, and eventually cracked.

I attached some photos as well.

Attachments

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
That looks like a 'Polyplastic' window, are there any makers identification numbers, etc, on the window?

Keith.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Thanks for the link Onemanvan.

Here is the UK one of the largest suppliers of caravan spares is a company called Leisure Spares and they have a lot of info about Seitz windows on their website. They claim to be able to supply many spare glazing panels so it may be worth getting in touch with them.

https://www.leisurespares.co.uk/brands/dometic-seitz/windows-dometic-seitz/s4s5-glazing-panels

Keith.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
For aesthetics and extra support, put a perforated window graphic on the exterior. If you don't like the various premade window graphics, you can get them custom made (a Westfalia decal?).

The perforated window graphic will conceal the crack.

Kiltym

Our window saga continues, and ends....

We did manage to stop the one main crack from extending in our awning window, and sealed it with some acrylic glue stuff we found online. About 2 months later, 4-5 smaller cracks started to appear from the bottom edge. So these were for no real good reason, beyond old age. Was waiting for the day the window "exploded", but it never did happen.

As many here know, I researched a lot of options. Back in April, I decided to purchase the MB slider window and gasket that onemanvan refers to earlier. Seemed the most cost effective way to replace the window, and no body work. Ordered it from a Dodge dealer:

5122302AA Glass Slider $412
5104246AA Gasket $25

I was on the west coast, ordered them on the east coast, and picked them up about 3 months ago. The parts sat there until yesterday.

I removed the old window following the information in the Westy repair manual. All went smoothly. Then proceeded to clean up all the old sealant and the felt strip on the inside which is the most annoying part. The standard window is held in place with 12 screws that pass through the lip of the sprinter, and then screw into the window holding it in place. The new window does not need these holes. The holes had some black primer on them from when it was manufactured and drilled out, but some of the primer was gone, and two holes showed some very minor rust. I cleaned them all out, applied 2 coats of POR-15, and then used a JB Weld epoxy stick to fill in all the holes.

The molding around the interior of the window cannot be removed without dismantling the kitchen. So I did not remove that part. There are "holes" in the molding to unscrew the old window, which was great, but it is a bit in the way when installing the new window. There is plenty of flex at the bottom, but very little at the top.

The dimensions of the cutout in the van for the window are: 23 15/16" x 41 3/4".

Then the real fun began, trying to install the new window. The new window is held in place with the gasket, and needs to be "roped" into position (https://youtu.be/sLn_wuu1LnQ). The issue is the fit is EXTREMELY tight. My wife and I tried for many hours, and eventually had to stop before we got a divorce.

I took the van to a body shop with glass folks yesterday, and picked the van back up today. It took three guys, and a lot of work, to eventually get the window installed. They thought at one point they might need to grind down the lip of the van that the seal goes onto, but persisted and got the window in place. Cost for the install was $165 (3 man-hours of time). I truly wish I could have installed it myself, but am pretty sure that was never going to happen. If you did grind down some of the lip, it might be an easier fit, but I would personally not have liked doing that as it is changing the van from the way it was manufactured. It might be a way to get the window installed without help however.

Attached are photos at various phases for future reference.

I miss the fact the entire window no longer opens, but it looks great, works great, and matches the Westy just fine IMO.

Attachments

Last edited:

Kiltym

Forgot to add. I have all the parts of my removed window. If anyone wants/needs any parts, please let me know and I am happy to send them your way. I would just ask you to pay for the shipping.....

onemanvan

With this project you truly are breaking new ground for NAFTA Westy owners.
I for one owe you a debt of gratitude.

I have mixed emotions at this point ?

On one hand I feel guilty having played a part in starting/encouraging you down this path.
On the other hand I'm glad I can learn from your lesson.

As I often say to myself after a frustrating effort - "chalk it up to the high price of education"

Thank you very much for providing the dimensions of the passenger side window cutout - 41 3/4 X 23 15/16 ( inside diameter ).

Just to clarify - the measurements I quoted in a previous post - 41 7/8 X 24 - was for the slider window with the gasket on ( outside diameter ).

Bottom line - it would appear that the new slider with gasket installed is about 1/16~1/8 larger than the opening it has to fit into.

Congrats completing this project!

FWIW: It's relatively easy to remove the acrylic window from the van. Unscrew the struts then lift the window up and pull it out. It's kind of like removing the big table in the living area - similar aluminum extrusions. The aluminum extrusion that remains with the acrylic window is locked in place by a plastic pin which can be pried out. Then the aluminum extrusion can slide back and forth - side to side - and completely removed if you need to. I'm aware of several Westy owners who have had their windows develop a crack which originates from the hole that the plastic pin resides in. I suspect that pin is too big and puts a strain on the hole in the acrylic. If your window has not already shown signs of cracking it might save you a lot of grief further down the road by being proactive now...

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Thanks for sharing the info and photos. Would you share what Dodge dealer?

I have a vague recollection that there were no screwholes through my van for the awning window, just a clamp style. So my recollection is off or perhaps someone modified the awning window after the original installation on your van

I think the half slider is much better than the awning window. More discreet. Do lose the emergency exit unless you're skinny. I hope to do that window switch someday. Please tell us how it works when driving with the half slider open.

It'd also be nice to have a half slider on the sliding door. But you'd lose the double pane.

Kiltym

I have a vague recollection that there were no screwholes through my van for the awning window, just a clamp style. So my recollection is off or perhaps someone modified the awning window after the original installation on your van
From the Westy manual for removing the window, the photo shows the 12 holes (or at least 12 black spots on the pinch weld). They are all covered in a bit of black primer. I would think they are all this way. Not saying your window is not different, but based on the manual, I would imagine most have these holes.

autocamp

un-Airstream'ed & un-Dodged NAFTA JC
Forgot to add. I have all the parts of my removed window. If anyone wants/needs any parts, please let me know and I am happy to send them your way. I would just ask you to pay for the shipping.....
Impressive job and you blazed the trail for us.

While I plan to keep my awning window as long as possible, can you kindly ship me the three latches with the struts too? One of my latch is cracked from stress.

I will PM you. Thanks

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
I ordered online at www.iwantmopar.com which is the online division of McGovern Auto Group (https://www.mcgovernauto.com/) near Boston, MA. They had the best price I could find, and I called about every dealer between Santa Fe, NM and Boston, MA along the northern route since we were heading back east.
Iwantmopar.com website seems out of commission and takes you to Jeep and the telephone folks at McGovern didn't know of an affilated online division. Any other options? Thanks.

Kiltym

Don't know of other options, sorry. When I searched back in March, I just googled for the part #. Then I checked prices for lots of places I found online. Most of the online places were then affiliated with a normal dealer (not always easy to find). I just found the cheapest place for the part (along our route). I will say that when I ordered, the guy I did talk to (at McGovern) before ordering stated the computer said there were 6 in stock. However, once he ordered my window, every Mopar site then showed it as unavailable. So I might have gotten the last one that was being held by Dodge. There should be a MB cross ref part # and you could also try calling some MB dealers and see if they can order the window in.

A quick search shows https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts/mopar-glass-bodyside-window~5122302aa.html having the window.

luvwagn

I couldn't quite tell - does this retain the privacy shade and roll-screen too? My awning window had already been replaced with some inferior window that has a teensy-weensy pop-out window in the bottom corner. Useless for getting any airflow.

While talking about windows, is there a slider replacement (with screen!) that fits on the sliding door? Then you can actually get a cross-breeze.

luvwagn

Any ideas if something like this would fit? https://www.campervan-hq.com/collec...dows/products/double-pane-rv-window-450x610mm

I currently have something like this installed, super tiny amount of airflow :(

Also seems the part you found is now "discontinued", at least according to moparpartsgiant.com, will have to scour some more.

Top Bottom