BEST OBD-2 scanner?

newtub

i purchased the autel maxidiag elite which was supposedly the equivalent of the autel md802. It has read a few codes here and there to point me in the right direction, but is by and large a useless item considering how much money it cost me. This tread seems dated. a different thread on this topic points sprinter owners to this tool by icarsoft, the mbII. it seems more promising, but not positive.

showkey

Agree this thread is outdated.
Would disagree with the statement the “AUTEL is by in large useless.”
Many of us on the forum use various models of the AUTEL scan tools to retrieve codes, clear codes, display live data, display freeze data, observe readiness tests. Access to engine, transmission, ABS and SRS systems are available.

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
I also don't understand... the Autel units are about the best thing going in their price range. The statement 'x is useless' without a description of why that is so is... useless.

CactusJackSlade

Yes, this thread could use an update, I'm sure there are many new scanners on the market, or updated ones already discussed.

I too am looking into a scanner - any updated info on a good (under$500) scanner?

Be nice if it had an app so I could look at things real time on my phone (Trying to minimize clutter on my dash) instead of something you have to mount separately.

Last edited:

showkey

Yes, this thread could use an update, I'm sure there are many new scanners on the market, or updated ones already discussed.

I too am looking into a scanner - any updated info on a good (under$500) scanner?

Be nice if it had an app so I could look at things real time on my phone (Trying to minimize clutter on my dash) instead of something you have to mount separately.
APP
The AUTEL AP200 app but it’s a full blown diagnostic tool not full time monitor like the scan gauge.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77906

MeRob

My scan gauge earned it's keep by giving me peace of mind (knowing all was well) ...and giving me a hint on the severity of any issues that did arise ... all while helping me to not lug my engine. Too much complicated information is sometimes far wise than none at all....

autostaretx

Erratic Member
My scan gauge earned it's keep by giving me peace of mind (knowing all was well) ...and giving me a hint on the severity of any issues that did arise ... all while helping me to not lug my engine. Too much complicated information is sometimes far wise than none at all....
There are three general classes of "scanners"

One is the ScanGauge (DashDAQ, UltraGauge, etc) ... whose primary feature/use is as "real time as you're driving" readouts of system status: speeds, MAP, fuel consumption, etc.
They have rudimentary P-code readout, and can usually perform a simple bulk Clear of P-codes.
Button placement and what-you're-shown are designed for on-the-road.

Next comes the better "scanners", such as the AP200, the Autel M802 and 808, etc.
These can provide moderately deep-dives into the P-codes and sub-system codes (with trailing qualifier digits). They may only have the simple Clear like the ScanGauge, but they're gradually getting other general clears (airbag (SRS) and DEF).
The AP200 is cheap at $70 (or less), the devices-with-buttons cost $200 and up.

Finally comes the range of "full diagnostic" tools ... ranging from the DAD to Dennis-level SnapOn and MB's Xentry systems .. these are wired (and smart enough) to really reach into the sub systems and perform individual component check-out and control (such as the DAD's ability to step the turbo actuator to any chosen value from 5% to 95%)
The DAD was a price anomaly, since it was used equipment .. its commercial equivalent (the CarSoft hardware/software) was $1500 ... Dodge/Freightliner dealers used the $6000 DRB-III

--dick (has ScanGauge, DAD and AP200 ... each has its place)

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
Just to add, the MD802 and 808 and AP200 will clear proprietary codes, and the MD808 and AP200 will perform certain diagnostic procedures such as a manual DPF regeneration and DPF teach-in.

micha

Top Bottom