Replacing carpet in g24 with flooring

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
I finally did it. It took 5-7 hours to take out the carpet and prep the floor/edges and about 4-5 hours to do cutting and laying of the floor. I absolutely love it and it feels like a major upgrade.

I spent about $90 on resilient "Java Hickory" snap-lock strips (2 cartons covers up to 40sq ft.), a carpet knife and extra blades. I would up using a straight pick to get more carpet fibers out from under the cabinets to give a bit more room for the cabinets to overlay the floor.

I measured about 37 square feet in my sprinter and I used every last plank, as you need to cut the planks to length to fit as you go through the rows.

I don't like the rubber edging between the hull and the cockpit on the floor. it worked ok with carpet, but is sticking up making a raised lip overtop of the planks.

Anyway, it was hard but satisfying to get it down in two days. A great weekend project. I would recommend spending the necessary time to get as many fibers out of underneath the cabinets as you can.

Here are some pics of the carpet being cut out, picking the planks and the finished work.
Hey Mikolia69, Thinking you are not seeing my questions, but posting another just in case,...did you cut the length of your planks to just go flush up to your cabinets,....or were you able to cut them longer and then flex or slide them under your cabinets?

ozarkian

bcolins. My answer to your question is close to the cabinets. No way was I going to pull up the cabinets and then install under them. If you see my responses I used some mini quarter round to make it looked finished.

Mikolia69

Once in a while you get shown the light....
Hey Mikolia69, Thinking you are not seeing my questions, but posting another just in case,...did you cut the length of your planks to just go flush up to your cabinets,....or were you able to cut them longer and then flex or slide them under your cabinets?
SORRY! I was on tour with my band - just wrapped up and back to fixing some other items with the van.

I was able to slide them underneath the cabinets. I had to use a razor blade to cut all the frays back a bit, but it worked. Im very happy with the floor.

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
SORRY! I was on tour with my band - just wrapped up and back to fixing some other items with the van.

I was able to slide them underneath the cabinets. I had to use a razor blade to cut all the frays back a bit, but it worked. Im very happy with the floor.
Wondering if it would be possible to use a Vinyl plank with a cork backing? It would be thicker,....were your vinyl planks tight under the cabinets,....or could you have used a thicker vinyl plank?

Also,....don't the planks need to be at an angle to be engaged into the nearby other plank,....how did you do that then slip them under the cabinets?

Any idea how much longer you cut them than the actual length from cabinet front face to cabinet front face (one side to the other?)?
Brian

Mikolia69

Wondering if it would be possible to use a Vinyl plank with a cork backing? It would be thicker,....were your vinyl planks tight under the cabinets,....or could you have used a thicker vinyl plank?

Also,....don't the planks need to be at an angle to be engaged into the nearby other plank,....how did you do that then slip them under the cabinets?

Any idea how much longer you cut them than the actual length from cabinet front face to cabinet front face (one side to the other?)?
Brian
I got the thinest flooring so it would slide under easy. Got it at Home Depot. No angle cuts were needed. It was very simple - i just cut the pieces a bit longer than the space they fit to (about 1/2 inch each side) and tucked them under the cabinets. There was plenty of space under the cabinets for the laminate flooring to slide under once the carpet is removed and picked out.

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
I got the thinest flooring so it would slide under easy. Got it at Home Depot. No angle cuts were needed. It was very simple - i just cut the pieces a bit longer than the space they fit to (about 1/2 inch each side) and tucked them under the cabinets. There was plenty of space under the cabinets for the laminate flooring to slide under once the carpet is removed and picked out.
I had to chuckle seeing your reply today to my question 8 mos ago. Having said that,....I do appreciate your getting back to me.

Do each of your planks interlock with the last one placed? If so,....how were you able to do that given that generally,....the next plank has to lock into the prior plank while it is held at an angle,....then brought down to a flat position. I cant envision how you would be able to do that if each plank end also had to be tucked under its respective cabinet,...which I would think would require bowing the plank,...which would make locking one plank to the next impossible (in my mind)

Brian in San Antonio

Brian

Mikolia69

They are vinyl planks, so bowing is fine. You bowthe plank, insert one side underneath, then the next side, then slide it into the other plank locking it in. With the thin planks, there is room to lock them. I still love my floor! So glad I did this upgrade.

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
They are vinyl planks, so bowing is fine. You bowthe plank, insert one side underneath, then the next side, then slide it into the other plank locking it in. With the thin planks, there is room to lock them. I still love my floor! So glad I did this upgrade.
Mikolia, I noticed that you left your bench out when you installed your flooring. Are you doing something different in that area?

Brian

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
Hey guys, any opinions on whether installing the vinyl planks length wise or width wise in the RV makes it look bigger/roomier,......or,....if doing it one way or the other is easier?

Brian

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
My floor was also rubberized and it was so difficult to clean in order for even tape to stick to it. That was why I think floating is the better choice. Here is a not-too-good picture of the floor.
Ozarkian, Mikolia69, How did you mark and cut your planks. Did you use something like a framing or dry wall square to layout the lengthwise cut lines,....then use a razor knife to make the actual cuts?

Brian in San Antonio

Hey Mikolia69, where did you get your flooring?
Brian
I'm not Mikolia69.
When we replaced the vinyl sheet flooring in our travel trailer I went to a local flooring shop and chose a suitable sized remnant. That saved quite a bit of money.

The flooring I removed was loose laid as is the replacement. I stapled the perimeter down where it made sense. I used small quarter round along some edges. Some were cut to fit close enough that no trim cover was needed.

A bathroom soft floor was mentioned. After the leak(s) have been identified and corrected, often snap together plank flooring can give enough strength to distribute the loads and make a suitable repair.

:2cents: vic

Top Bottom