2015 solera 24r mpg

Rich T

At 3500 miles and at an average speed of 65 mpg through southern California I5 and 101 getting 14 mpg.
Normal?

chromisdesigns

At 3500 miles and at an average speed of 65 mpg through southern California I5 and 101 getting 14 mpg.
Normal?
Are you shifting it manually or not? The transmission on the v6 sprinter doesn't downshift quick enough for best mpg with a heavy load like a class c rv. Try to keep revs over 2500. I mostly see high 15s to mid 16s with my rig.

Rich T

No, I will start downshifting manually as you suggest to maintain 2500 rpm.
Does your high 15's include up and down hills like in southern Cal. and speeds up to 75 mph?

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
Normal?
That's about right for a Class C with a "zero-time" engine. We just completed a 4500 +\- mile vacation in our View Profile starting at 3600 miles. No special effort to save fuel or focus on manual shifting. MPG ranged from 14something to 17something with two drivers and a little over 10k weight. I tossed the two readings in the 20s as out of sensible range.

MPG will improve slightly as miles increase... Don't expect miracles! 15/16 is about average .. Occasionally 17 on a really good day, IMHO.

Here's the issues: weight, air resistance (flat bits up front and the "Snuffy Smith" nose above the cab), air drag (big, fat, flat behind). Other factors are six tires vs four; road surfaces, grades, & winds. All these conspire to lower your MPG. The only thing fixable is to keep the weight down...

OTH, 14/17 mpg is about 20-30% better than other C class RV with non-Sprinter diesel drive trains and maybe 60/70% better than a gasser under similar conditions.

(Consolation... My neighbors Class A Tiffin "Allegro" w/ the Work Horse Chassis and the monster V10 gasser gets maybe 5mpg... down hill with a tailwind .... Usually less.)

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
Are you shifting it manually or not? The transmission on the v6 sprinter doesn't downshift quick enough for best mpg with a heavy load like a class c rv. Try to keep revs over 2500. I mostly see high 15s to mid 16s with my rig.
This is true... The 5 speed is a "wide" ratio box with a tall OD 5th. It likes to stay in higher gears as much as possible. Usually not a problem unless you get slow and encounter grades...

If you can anticipate the need to drop down a gear just before the beginning of a grade and shift down it will give better performance.

chromisdesigns

No, I will start downshifting manually as you suggest to maintain 2500 rpm.
Does your high 15's include up and down hills like in southern Cal. and speeds up to 75 mph?
Sweet spot for this engine/transmission is 2500-3200 rpm. I am never in 5th below 65 mph if I can help it. Otoh, I try to stay at 65 or under. 70 if necessary but I prefer under. My last trip from SFO to Washington and back, up on I5, lot of driving around, then 101 home from Astoria averaged 15.8 mpg. Other than downhills on I 5, it did not see 5th gear much at all.

It will run 63-65 all day long in 4th and happily! If you get in the habit of shifting like a manual, mileage will improve and your engine will be better off over the long haul.

We've got an '09 Fleetwood Icon 24A based on the diesel Sprinter and we get 16mpg avg. We like to keep the speed around 60 but often do 65mph.

I've wondered about the Winnebago Via (interesting design based on the same platform) and because of it's more aerodynamic front (no cab over) whether it might get better fuel economy and suffer a bit less from head winds ???

That's about right, Rich. We run 70-75 and get 15, I'm mindful of droppin' to 4th if RPMs go lower than 2700.
Live at 5,000' elevation, our rig's 25' and rollin' at ~10,800lbs.

BatteryBill

Bought mine used and previous owner complained of less than expected mileage. I had the tires inflated to factory specs and was getting around 10-11 MPG. Than inflated to 70psi in front and 75 in rear wheels, now get 13.1 on flat ground lightly loaded. I try to keep it at 65 - 70MPH on hyways. I would love to get 15 mpg.

Top Bottom