Swap SP switch for dimmer for rear LEDs

BarryC

Folks,

I decided I wanted to replace the single on/off switch for the LEDs in the rear of the coach with a dimmer. I sourced a dimmer from LTV that was the same as the one for the LEDs in the front of the coach as I wanted to keep the exact same look and feel.

I received the dimmer and when checking out wiring today I find that the switch has two wires going to it. The dimmer switch has 3... Red-+12v, Black-GND, and White for connection to light.

The dimmer says it is a "Low Side" switch.

I know little to nothing about 12v 'lectricity . Might someone have experience with this and offer comment if it can be safely wired with this dimmer and if so how to do it?

Thanks!

Barry

autostaretx

Erratic Member
From other threads we've had on 12v dimmers for LEDs, it seems that they are commonly attached to the negative side of the LED, interceding between it and "ground" (0v).

The other (high) side of the LED is attached to the 12v supply.

A call to LTV may clear up the matter.

But... could you provide a drawing (and make/model of the dimmer) showing what wires (and colors) are going where?
(a photo at least would be helpful)

(the previous threads were trying to put 3-way dimmers in place ... so that you could control the lights from two different places in the van)

--dick

BarryC

Thanks for the response!

The dimmer is made by American Technology Components and is part number AT-RLD-5-LS01

https://www.atcomp.com/product/at-rld-5-ls01/

The single pole switch I am replacing simply has 2 wires going to it and I've tried to attach the image of the wiring diagram for it. The dimmer of course is not attached as yet.

Barry
Bedroom Light Switch Circuit.png

Top Bottom