Charging engine battery from house batteries?

gal218

This past weekend my 2016 241XL wouldn't start after just sitting for about 2 weeks. I was able to quickly get it to started by pressing the button under the drivers seat which switches to the house batteries.

However, it got me thinking about a couple things:

1. What was draining the battery during that short period of time? Am not sure, and will need to track it down. What are the common culprits that others have found?

2. If the unit was plugged into shore power, would that keep the engine battery charged? I don't think so...does anyone else know otherwise?

3. Has anyone installed a device to charge the engine battery from the house batteries? I saw one mentioned in another forum called "Trik-L-Start".

Thanks in advance...

chromisdesigns

Did you leave the radio or any exterior lights on? You should be ok for two weeks I have let mine go for as much as a month. Was a door cracked? That keeps the engine computer active. To be sure you should disconnect the battery cable from the stud next to the gas pedal. That stops everything and battery should last for months.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
"Trik-L-Start" is the ticket. Everyone who stores their vehicles plugged into shore power or who has solar and parks outside should have one.

pfflyer

I have a different brand but things like the electric steps and CO2 detector could be connected to the engine battery as well. I don't know how long mine can start without a charge but I know it will not in 2 weeks as well. I think the Trik-L-start thread is where I got the idea to use the 12v outlet under the ashtray to charge the engine battery while connected to shore power. Before that I clipped onto the jump start posts under the hood with a charger.

gal218

I have a different brand but things like the electric steps and CO2 detector could be connected to the engine battery as well. I don't know how long mine can start without a charge but I know it will not in 2 weeks as well. I think the Trik-L-start thread is where I got the idea to use the 12v outlet under the ashtray to charge the engine battery while connected to shore power. Before that I clipped onto the jump start posts under the hood with a charger.
Interesting...how do you use the console 12 v to charge?

wheelinclam

Dito on window solar panels. Works will.
I upgraded solar controller to model that charges 2 batteries. House first, starting second.
Batteries are now fully charged at start of every trip.

Covered parking...so I only get indirect sun in flexible panel on dashboard.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom