Espar System furnace/water heater start up procedure?

CleanLivin

Clean Livin
2012 GWV, Legend EX with Espar. Absolutely no docs and I can not find any docs that match up with my system on Espar's web site.

Question:
1. Start up sequence/procedure to run the furnace?
2. Ditto for just water heater.
3. Unit has not been used from prior owner for many months, what should I check before running the unit? Any water or fuel filters to replace? Valves to open/close?
4. Does the Dometic thermostat contol the Espar?
5. Ditto the "Heater" switch on the "control panel" for the water pump/battery level/fresh water level, etc?

Photos of what my controls look like attached.

Help appreciated as I don't want to screw this thing up!
Jack

Attachments

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
2012 GWV, Legend EX with Espar. Absolutely no docs and I can not find any docs that match up with my system on Espar's web site.

Question:
1. Start up sequence/procedure to run the furnace?
2. Ditto for just water heater.
3. Unit has not been used from prior owner for many months, what should I check before running the unit? Any water or fuel filters to replace? Valves to open/close?
4. Does the Dometic thermostat contol the Espar?
5. Ditto the "Heater" switch on the "control panel" for the water pump/battery level/fresh water level, etc?
Jack
I have a 2014 Legend, so I know these systems well. Glad to help.

First of all, the Espar system in your van is made by a little company in Oregon called Rixen's. You will find the appropriate documentation on their website. Jim Rixen is very helpful if you have issues.

They refer to the system as MCS-5:

http://www.rixens.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/MCS5-Modular-Installation.pdf

http://www.rixens.com

Before you attempt to use the system, make sure it is filled with antifreeze (50% diluted). There is a stainless steel tank under the hood on the driver's side, where you might expect the chassis battery to be.

Your first picture shows the See Level tank monitor. it has nothing to do with the furnace. It does, however, control the fresh water pump. The "heater" switch is most unlikely unconnected.

The second picture is the Rixen's proprietary control panel. Turn on SYSTEM and either FURNACE or HOT WATER (or both). Set the FAN switch to LOW or HIGH. Yes, the Dometic thermostat controls the heat, so set it to HEAT mode and turn the temperature way up. This should cause the Espar to fire up. If it has been sitting, you will likely get an epic cloud of smoke. This is unburned fuel. Don't panic. If it only happens the first time, don't worry about it. If it happens every time, your Espar will need service. That is a different topic.

If you have turned on the HOT WATER switch, you should have have instant hot water, once the glycol loop has heated up.

There is also an 120VAC heating element inside the glycol tank under the hood. When you have shore power, it lets you have have heat and hot water without using the Espar (it has limited capacity). It is controlled by a (usually unlabeled) household light switch on your control panel. It is the big one. The smaller switch controls you driver-side porch light outdoors.

That should get you started. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
BTW: I uploaded a scan of the 2014 GWV manual over at Class B Forum. It isn't worth much, but if you sign up over there you can download a copy.

CleanLivin

Clean Livin
Pete - that link to the Espar doc was great! Thank you.
In addition to the two control panels I showed in the original post, there is also a black on/off light switch that I remember is part of the system but can't remember it's function. Do you also have a switch like that?

Does the Dometic control the temperature of the Espar furnace?
Do you have to have the "Heater" switched on for the Espar to function?

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Pete - that link to the Espar doc was great! Thank you.
In addition to the two control panels I showed in the original post, there is also a black on/off light switch that I remember is part of the system but can't remember it's function. Do you also have a switch like that?
That is the "electric heater element" switch that I described above. Only works when you are connected to shore power.
Does the Dometic control the temperature of the Espar furnace?
It controls when the hot-air fan inside the rig runs. It controls the Espar indirectly through the proprietary Rixen's controller (your second pic). The Espar's job is to keep the glycol hot.
Do you have to have the "Heater" switched on for the Espar to function?
No. As I said, the "heater" switch on the See-Level panel is most likely unconnected. I use mine to control tank heaters (through a solid-state relay).

Top Bottom