DIY Espar D2 Preventative Maintenance

I think this is probably valuable information for those with an Espar (or Webasto).

The Espar does requires annual maintenance to function properly (or at all). You can pay a shop to do this, or you can DIY. Below is a YouTube video showing the common maintenance. It's somewhat lengthy with somewhat superfluous dialog.

If your burner is in bad shape, or you just prefer not to clean it, an entire burner is only $125.. It's easy to replace without pulling the heater. fuel filters are 5 for $10. Espar recommends replacing the Glow Pin anytime that the atomizer screen is replaced. I don't think that's necessary, but here's a link to the glow Glow Pin and atomizer screen. Just clean off the Glow Pin and it's good to go back in with a replacement screen.

If I were winter traveling at high altitude I'd take along a new burner, a glow plug, an atomizer screen, and fuel filter, as well as a 12mm slotted deep well socket. (Sidenote: For those conditions I might even rig a separate fuel canister and run kerosene rather than diesel.)

Here's the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWSw60mmlzQ&feature=youtu.be

Top Bottom