What is the appropriate rear differential fluid?

Dingo

diff oil = simple anything 80w90 / 85w90 / 75w90 . too light a grade and the shear resistance of the oil will allow for acclerated wear & too heavy a grade will cause drag & incresed fuel consumption

it can be mineral , semi synthetic or fully synthetic , it all does the same thing lubricate the bearings & gears in the diff . Too heavy an oil 140 weight will cause drag until it warms up costing you fuel !

Any manufacturer is going to tell you that you MUST USE ONLY THEIR PRODUCTS & they reap the rewards of your spending

I have found equivalent oils from other manufacturers for many many types of engines & machines . The only one that had to use a manufacturer specific fluid was a bus with a strange automatic gearbox ( Pneumocyclic )

Remember the axle oil cannot get into the engine & will not ruin your EGR DPF or CAT , So buy wisely .
I have covered 500,000+ miles in Mk1 & mk2 sprinters in UK
All have used 10w40 semi synthetic engine oil / 75w80 in gearbox ( manual ) & 75w90 in diff

No lube problems , However if you have an auto gearbox USE MB fluid , the box seems very tempremental to wrong fluid choice .

I repair pressure pumps & blower packs nowadays , manufacturer spec oil is over £19 per litre ( $34 per qt ) on average , from my local hydraulics supplier the same oil , same manufacturer & not in branded bottles / barrels = £6 litre . Never had a pump fail yet ! Some of these blowers are tight tolerance assemblies , any loss of lube & they turn to scrap in seconds

At last, a sensible, pragmatic answer. Just what you'd expect from Northern England. Cheers r' kid. :bow:

diff oil = simple anything 80w90 / 85w90 / 75w90 . too light a grade and the shear resistance of the oil will allow for acclerated wear & too heavy a grade will cause drag & incresed fuel consumption

it can be mineral , semi synthetic or fully synthetic , it all does the same thing lubricate the bearings & gears in the diff . Too heavy an oil 140 weight will cause drag until it warms up costing you fuel !

Any manufacturer is going to tell you that you MUST USE ONLY THEIR PRODUCTS & they reap the rewards of your spending

I have found equivalent oils from other manufacturers for many many types of engines & machines . The only one that had to use a manufacturer specific fluid was a bus with a strange automatic gearbox ( Pneumocyclic )

Remember the axle oil cannot get into the engine & will not ruin your EGR DPF or CAT , So buy wisely .
I have covered 500,000+ miles in Mk1 & mk2 sprinters in UK
All have used 10w40 semi synthetic engine oil / 75w80 in gearbox ( manual ) & 75w90 in diff

No lube problems , However if you have an auto gearbox USE MB fluid , the box seems very tempremental to wrong fluid choice .

I repair pressure pumps & blower packs nowadays , manufacturer spec oil is over £19 per litre ( $34 per qt ) on average , from my local hydraulics supplier the same oil , same manufacturer & not in branded bottles / barrels = £6 litre . Never had a pump fail yet ! Some of these blowers are tight tolerance assemblies , any loss of lube & they turn to scrap in seconds

Dingo

Team Illuminata :cheers:

You are very welcome . Far too many people get hooked up on using only what the god's decree we should .

I have spoken at length to chemists at Shell's Stanlow refinery near Chester (UK) and was amazed at how much moo poo gets talked about oils & their mystical properties . These cheery people spent a long time improving a boring workday on site .

In essence , most lube suppliers buy from a few bulk producers ( for obvious reasons ) the bulk oils have basic additive packs blended in & the retailer then blend in their own additive pack to the pre blended bulk stock .

Anyway i'm off R' kid
Ahm gooin' dahn chipoil fer pennorth o chips un peawet :thumbup:

Are Holland's meat pies still a grey blob o' meat rattlin' around in a soggy crust wi' see through "gravy". Love 'em.

Team Illuminata :cheers:

You are very welcome . Far too many people get hooked up on using only what the god's decree we should .

I have spoken at length to chemists at Shell's Stanlow refinery near Chester (UK) and was amazed at how much moo poo gets talked about oils & their mystical properties . These cheery people spent a long time improving a boring workday on site .

In essence , most lube suppliers buy from a few bulk producers ( for obvious reasons ) the bulk oils have basic additive packs blended in & the retailer then blend in their own additive pack to the pre blended bulk stock .

Anyway i'm off R' kid
Ahm gooin' dahn chipoil fer pennorth o chips un peawet :thumbup:

Dingo

Nay lad ! ! ! ! !

Been a big change since you last had one from the sound of it . Cheese & onion still like eating wall paper paste , but tastes slightly better . Puddings no longer filled with eyebrows elbows & testicles .

Had to get their act together , Gregg's tater pies were more popular & that is saying something .

Just wondering how many people will read this & wonder what the hell we are on about , just think ...........
pudding , chips , gravy , peawet , barmcake , dandelion & burdock grand stuff eh ?

And do not forget vimto , black puddin' , tripe , cowheel , blackpool rock & George Formby:bash:

Nay lad ! ! ! ! !

Been a big change since you last had one from the sound of it . Cheese & onion still like eating wall paper paste , but tastes slightly better . Puddings no longer filled with eyebrows elbows & testicles .

Had to get their act together , Gregg's tater pies were more popular & that is saying something .

Just wondering how many people will read this & wonder what the hell we are on about , just think ...........
pudding , chips , gravy , peawet , barmcake , dandelion & burdock grand stuff eh ?

And do not forget vimto , black puddin' , tripe , cowheel , blackpool rock & George Formby:bash:

Haha. Google'll be gettin' pounded.

:drool:

General information for USA owners. Mobil Delvac is not commonly found in auto parts houses or big box stores.

Our local Camping World has Mobil Delvac™ Synthetic Gear Oil 75W-90 on the shelves. It has MB235.8 on the label which is listed in BEVO as should be used for our Sprinter differentials. Price was 10 bucks and change per quart.
https://www.mobil.com/english-us/co...xmobil-delvac-synthetic-gear-oil-75w90-80w140

:2cents: vic

Added: I'm not certain that even Camping World stocks the MB approved Mobil Delvac 75w-90 anymore.

Dennis recommends this. :thumbup::thumbup:
Simply go into an autoparts store/Wallyworld and purchase 3 qrt bottles 75/90 Mobil 1 SYNTHETIC gear oil and then it will be like a Tacoma [simple].
https://www.walmart.com/ip/MOBIL-104361-Lubricant-Gear/40905568
Dun Dun and Done
Dennis
I have spoken directly to both Mobil and Valvoline specifying the appropriate BEVO list numbers.
Both companies ensured me that their product exceeds the MB spec and quoted me on line their specs to prove it
Dennis

The approved Mobil Delvac ($$$)
https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-Delvac-Gear-75W90-112811/dp/B007WVI5G6

2 quarts are needed for a change.

Last edited:

TROLL

2007 Winnebago View 23H
Hello, I've read the differential fluid threads ad nauseam... lots of conflicting info. This is for my 2006 Sprinter 3500 DRW (2007 Winnebago View RV). It sounds like I need just under 3q for the fluid change.

Is Mobil 1 75w-90 Synthetic Gear Lubricant LS (Limited Slip Additive) appropriate? I see this discussed often enough but no confirmation that it is correct, and my previous knowledge has always led me to understand that you don't want to use LS fluids in a non LS application.
This option is $13.99/qt locally and in stock at Advance Auto and Autozone.

Is Mobil Delvac 1 Gear Oil 75w-90 Synthetic correct? This does seem to be officially official and approved. It is $49 shipped for a gallon from JEGS or $56 on Amazon. (Currently out of stock at Summit, and don't see anywhere locally that has it).

Or is there a locally found, approved/appropriate option that is quicker / less expensive I should be looking at?

I'd think this would be pretty cut and dry, but the more the conversation goes on, the more it gets convoluted. Appreciate the guidance!

Or is there a locally found, approved/appropriate option that is quicker / less expensive I should be looking at?

I'd think this would be pretty cut and dry, but the more the conversation goes on, the more it gets convoluted. Appreciate the guidance!
From Post #47 above.

lindenengineering said:
"Simply go into an autoparts store/Wallyworld and purchase 3 qrt bottles 75/90 Mobil 1 SYNTHETIC gear oil and then it will be like a Tacoma [simple].
https://www.walmart.com/ip/MOBIL-104361-Lubricant-Gear/40905568
Dun Dun and Done"
Dennis

You should be able to find it locally. Personally I would add that any well known name brand 75/90 SYNTHETIC gear oil will fit the bill. The Sprinter differential design and components aren't exotic. They are very common.

:2cents: vic

TROLL

2007 Winnebago View 23H
Thank you, my only real hiccup was that it has the limited slip additive but a friend told me that it’s ok to use LS or non-LS gear oil in non-LS differentials.
That along with what I assume you just quoted us saying that the Mobil 1 75w-90 Synthetic Gear Oil *LS* is a good option for us.

RoadHobo

2006 View 3500 T1N
Why not just use what the operator manual calls for. This stuff says right on the back " Formulated as a GL5 fluid intended for use only in Dodge Sprinter axle assemblies."Sprinter Diff Fluid.jpg

Alphacarina

2006 Itasca Navion 23H
Why not just use what the operator manual calls for. This stuff says right on the back " Formulated as a GL5 fluid intended for use only in Dodge Sprinter axle assemblies."
Because . . . . I prefer to use the 'correct fluids' but not the ones sold with the vehicle manufacturers labels pasted over the ones who made the fluid. Dodge, Freightliner and Mercedes don't manufacture any lubricants, but when they paste their labels on the bottles, the prices go way up sometimes to double, triple or even more over what the same fluid can be bought for direct from the company that manufactured the fluids

Don

B

billintomahawk

Burn me in hell...I put in old school dino oil, no synthetic, no anti-slip(Hey, it was cheap.).

I'll change it out more often.

What's the anti slip for?
Maybe I really screwed up?

bill in tomahawk

Top Bottom