Building a ToyHauler

ctmcdaniel

Cross Member
Why is in the sprinter forum?

Well the tow limit on my 2007 is 500/5000 and I could not find a toy hauler that was under 5000 pounds.

So I built this. It was 2000 pounds from the factory. I'm going weigh it next week to see how much fat it's put on.

Dingo

I remove my hat & bow my head to your quality build . Very Very nice work . Wish i had a workshop that size , my beloved would hardly ever see me unless she brought me a hot drink

A labour of love , but your effort shows in the workmanship

glasseye

Indeed. I'm in awe at the craftsmanship thoughtful design.

That "slide-out", is that the bed? If so, :bow:

ctmcdaniel

Cross Member
Dingo, thanks for the complement. I thought everyone in the UK had a shed? Everyone in the USA has a shop at least as large as mine. In Austraila and New Zealand they have bigger shops and the government supplies the beer.

Glasseye, it is a tip out door that becomes a bed, it takes about 2 minutes to open and close it. It is awesome.

There is all so a built in bench/bed on the curb side.

had it out 3 times now and its not even finished yet.

Attachments

Last edited:
That tip out bed is a cool idea. I've seen them do it with the VRVs. Have been pondering the idea of doing that with the open rear doors of the sprinter. Somehow dropping a platform that is exposed when the doors are opened and supporting it in the same way. Are those just two heavy coated cables anchoring the platform level? Did you create the tent portion for it as well?

ctmcdaniel

Cross Member
Yes the platform is supported by two guy wires. No I did not install the bed door or build the tent. The whole bed door is made by challenger door, they made the custom cabinets too.

I Originally looked at the vrv trailers, but the nose configuration wasted a lot of space and thier production was not set up to handle all the custom stuff I needed.

Tom

ctmcdaniel

Cross Member
Nah, I've got a little money invested in aluminum stocks and needed something to make me smile.
If you also have some investment in Okoume marine plywood by Joubert, novakool, epoxyusa, grk phonix fasteners, challenger cabinets. Then you could retire.

PA Slammer

I checked challenger door's site. I didn't see that pop out. Special order?

I'd love more detail. I'm about to start a build...

PA Slammer

Walk0080

Source and weight of those nice upper and lower cabinets?

It would have been cool to take a small Aistream trailer shell and turn that into a toy hauler too ;-)

Top Bottom