Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Write-Ups

NCV3 Write-Ups Help other NCV3 owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:48 AM   #11
ptheland
2013 144" low top Passgr

Default Re: Removing the electric step

So let's follow on with the problems here.

When you remove the step, the van is going to complain. You get a warning buzzer when the sliding door is opened, presumably to let you know that the step is extending. Then you get another buzzer and a warning on the dash every time you start moving to let you know the step is not properly stowed.

As noted above, I managed to eliminate the warning while driving by sticking a jumper in the dangling plug to simulate the "step stowed" switch.

With a little thinking and a little research on the internet, I think I have a more elegant solution. It requires 3 relays. I'm attaching a schematic of how I think this would work.
IMG_3496a.jpg

We start with all three relays in their "at rest" position. I've drawn a line between pin 30 and 87a to show that resting state. This is how the van spends most of it's time, with the step stowed and the switch detecting the step stowed in the closed position.

The two switches I really want to control are in the upper right of the schematic.

It starts by using the power that would normally extend the step to instead drive a relay (bottom left). When the van tries to extend the step, the power intended for the step motor energizes the relay, which also connects pin 86 of the relay directly to the battery (through the relay at the bottom right). That also energizes the relay at the top right, opening the "step stowed" switch and closing the "step extended" switch. That should then cut the power meant to extend the step. But the relay at bottom left continues to be energized through itself and the relay at bottom right.

When the door is closed, the van would apply power to retract the step. That power energizes the relay at bottom right and interrupts the power to the other two relays, de-energizing them both. That closes the "step stowed" switch and the van will stop sending power to retract the step. And we're back at rest in the initial condition.

Feel free to pick apart my schematic, as that will keep me from zapping myself and/or damaging my car.

2013 144" wheelbase, low roof passenger, with wheelchair lift in side door (soon operational, but not yet cosmetic)
ptheland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:00 PM   #12
Rkent

Are you saying that in the above case you would jump the blue wire with either the pinky or violet wire?

Thanks
Rkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:02 AM   #13
ptheland
2013 144" low top Passgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkent View Post
Are you saying that in the above case you would jump the blue wire with either the pinky or violet wire?
I'm not sure what you're wanting to do, but whatever it is you're wanting to accomplish DO NOT MAKE THE CONNECTIONS YOU SUGGEST. You're going to short something out, blow fuses, and/or destroy some electronic modules.

So what are you wanting to do?

2013 144" wheelbase, low roof passenger, with wheelchair lift in side door (soon operational, but not yet cosmetic)
Old 06-25-2017, 07:07 PM   #14
Rkent

I have removed my electric step for running boards. I just want to turn off the red dash warning message
Old 06-25-2017, 07:10 PM   #15
Rkent

I am just not clear which wires you are jumping to solve this issue
Old 06-26-2017, 01:50 AM   #16
ptheland
2013 144" low top Passgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkent View Post
I am just not clear which wires you are jumping to solve this issue
I connected the blue and brown wires to stop the red warning message on my dash.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:50 PM   #17
Silver144

i have the exact same problem. Did this work 100% without fail. It looks like this was a few months ago. If you have some feedback now that time has gone by that would be GREAT. Thanks in advance.
Silver144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:06 PM   #18
ptheland
2013 144" low top Passgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver144 View Post
i have the exact same problem. Did this work 100% without fail. It looks like this was a few months ago. If you have some feedback now that time has gone by that would be GREAT. Thanks in advance.
I'm not sure what you mean by "did this work?"

Did the step removal work? Yes. It's still removed. No sign of it trying to put itself back on.

Did the jumper work? Yes. It's still working. No red warning on the dash while driving, but an annoying sound for about 2 minutes after opening the sliding door.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:09 PM   #19
Silver144

I removed my step a few days ago as well. Same situation as you had.
I would love to:
1. Get the beeping to stop when I open the door
2. Get the red warning off the dash.

If i summarize what I think happened for you, you did this.

you said
"I connected the blue and brown wires to stop the red warning message on my dash"
Im assuming this stopped the warning message on the dash.

Do you have any ideas on how to successfully get the beeping to end?
have you tried to trace back the wires and unplug the harness where they go under the seat?
any other ideas, the beeping is the most annoying part for me.
Silver144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:55 PM   #20
ptheland
2013 144" low top Passgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver144 View Post
I removed my step a few days ago as well. Same situation as you had.
I would love to:
1. Get the beeping to stop when I open the door
2. Get the red warning off the dash.
I'd love to do both as well. I am only able to accomplish one at a time. I chose to eliminate the dash message and live with the beeping when the door is open.

Quote:
you said
"I connected the blue and brown wires to stop the red warning message on my dash"
Im assuming this stopped the warning message on the dash.
Yep. That's what happened.

Quote:
Do you have any ideas on how to successfully get the beeping to end?
Sure. Connect the green and brown wires at the plug which remains in the van. That will eliminate the beeping when the door is open.

The problem is that I am not brave enough to try both of these fixes at the same time. Doing so would effectively connect the green and blue wires together, which is something that would never happen in normal operation with the step installed. That could lead to unintended consequences, up to and including destroying expensive electronic components in the van. I'm not willing to take that risk.

Quote:
have you tried to trace back the wires and unplug the harness where they go under the seat?
Unplugging the harness at some other point will make no difference. The wires eventually lead back to the PSM located under the driver's seat. That module controls the operation of the step (and likely sends the warning messages to the dash and operates the beepers).

Quote:
any other ideas, the beeping is the most annoying part for me.
You could use a jumper as noted above to eliminate the beeping. That will leave you with the warning message on the dash. You could try both jumpers, but if that fries the electronics in the van, that's a big problem. I wouldn't recommend it.

As to other ideas - I posted a schematic earlier in the thread for using some relays to simulate the operation of the step. I think this should work, but I haven't had the time to test it yet.

A more certain solution is to talk to a Sprinter dealer and see if they can reprogram the van to remove the step. I don't know if they will (or can, although I pretty sure it's possible in theory). And I would expect it to cost something, and wouldn't be surprised if it's a few hundred dollars.