Isotherm water heater installation

Rtarannum

Hello Fellow DIYers,

I have purchased a
Isotherm Isotemp 601623 Slim Square 4.2 Gal/16L Electric Hot Water Heater.

I want to educate myself of the installation process and things to think about before I start any plumbing in the van and also fix the layout of where everything will be.

If you have any info or links that will be worth reading up on things to think about before installing Isotherm, i will really appreciate it.

I have 2017 144 wb high roof sprinter.

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
Perhaps you already selected one of the following options, sharing your decision will get you better info.

Isotemp + AC power only.
Isotemp + AC + engine coolant
Isotemp + AC + hydronic diesel heater like Eberspacher D5 without engine coolant (my system)
Isotemp + AC + D5 (factory or yours) + Engine coolant.

Rtarannum

I was planning on isotemp + AC + engine coolant. This is what I bought:
https://pantherrvproducts.com/isoth...square-4-2-gal-16l-electric-hot-water-heater/

Perhaps you already selected one of the following options, sharing your decision will get you better info.

Isotemp + AC power only.
Isotemp + AC + engine coolant
Isotemp + AC + hydronic diesel heater like Eberspacher D5 without engine coolant (my system)
Isotemp + AC + D5 (factory or yours) + Engine coolant.

GeorgeRa

Search in Hein’s and Midwestdrifter’s write-ups for info. Make sure you have access to the Isotemp thermo switch which can be activated by hot engine coolant.

EvanS

I also used an isotemp for hot water. I got the round 5.3 gallon one and hooked it up in front of the spare tire under the van and ran coolant lines from the front all the way back there. I also covered the coolant lines with a fire resistente and abrasion resistant sleeve. The whole thing was quite a pain in the neck.

If I were to do it again I'd put it where Hein did under the hood where the auxillary battery goes in order to have shorter coolant line runs or I would put it inside the van to help keep it warm if it got cold outside.

Unless you plan on showering everyday (you may plan on this but actually change to every other day depending on how much time it takes you to set up/tear down you shower and hot dirty you actually are) you are unlikely to need a Hydronic setup looped in. That is quite a complex addition and it's also very expensive. As long as the van get driven for 10 to 15 minutes, you'll have scalding hot water which should last awhile.

I don't know if the square Slim's are insulated but mine is and it means that as long as the water is brought up to temp it can successfully survive a 9° F night with no trouble. It's not hot the next day but it's also not about to freeze.

Hope that helps!

Shawn182

you are unlikely to need a Hydronic setup looped in. That is quite a complex addition and it's also very expensive.
??

I am planning on installing the same unit...what part of tapping into the coolant loop is "very expensive"?

GeorgeRa

Hydronic D5 loop, not direct connection to engine coolant. See my system diagram. Expensive, not easy, but I would do it again.

Attachments

Shawn182

Hydronic D5 loop, not direct connection to engine coolant. See my system diagram. Expensive, not easy, but I would do it again.

Gotcha.

Yeah, knowing what I know now I should have gone that route from the start but too deep in now and just gonna tap into coolant as that is the last pice of my puzzle and rest of components are already in.

EvanS

??

I am planning on installing the same unit...what part of tapping into the coolant loop is "very expensive"?
Sorry, I should have been more clear. By hydronic loop I'm referring to is the Espar D5 show in the diagram below.

Bluetree

How are you controlling the espar to maybe shut off once the Isotherm is up to temp? Manually or some other way? Thanks for the info. Planning this setup with the espar.

Top Bottom