Clearing dash lights / limp mode with no code box

Nick-UK

Thought this might be useful if people are stuck in limp mode in the middle of nowhere and have no code reader. Couldn`t find the info on google when I searched so I asked my local hire van place to write it down as I forgot the sequence when they told me several months ago.

I know this works on older Ncv3`s, Ive just tried on my 02 T1N it works on that (my T1N has no central locking so I just ignored that step)

1.Key in
2.Turn ignition on and off 7 times (do not start)
3.Take key out and lock with remote button on key
4.Wait for lights to go out
5.Unlock with remote button on key and start .

Just tried it on my T1N and its cleared my traction control light that was stuck on, I didn`t have any lights(step 4) on to go out but it beeped when I removed the key.
Used it on a Ncv3 hire van that went into limp mode and it got me home :thumbup:

Last edited:

gonzo42

Had a problem last year. Halfway home from a long trip I lost power big time. I limped home hundreds of miles on low power. It turned out that the EGR valve was stuck open, robbing the turbo of exhaust. I had no scanner at the time and I was afraid to turn off the engine.

Later I was told that if I had shut down the engine the EGR valve could have reset. Valve was $700 plus labor.

Nick-UK

The hire van I had went into limp just as I started up a steep long hill. Bloody auto too so it decided I couldn`t select a lower gear until it was really really slow. Got to the top eventually at about 5-10mph.
I turned it off and back on and it started to work again but that only lasted a few miles before it did it again. When the van place gave me the reset sequence it drove home 70 miles with no other issue.

Great, interesting information! :thumbup:

Reminiscent of the old key off-on sequence and count the light blinks Detroit iron method.

Sorry, with the remote button on the key.
Is that step completely necessary? Not all Sprinters have the remote locks RKE. Maybe just a driver door open/close is needed to trigger the dash inset.

vic

Just reviewed... :doh:
...(my T1N has no central locking so I just ignored that step)

Just tried it on my T1N and its cleared my traction control light that was stuck on, I didn`t have any lights(step 4) on to go out but it beeped when I removed the key.
Added2:
One caution on the above.
We don't know what the 7 times key sequence really does. It likely erases all DTC history. That can be a very bad thing if you are under warranty.

Last edited:

Nick-UK

What ever it does it doesn`t fix continuing problems. If its a brain fart it will be good to get you going, if the problem is still there, bad connection, broken component etc it will detect it again and the lights or limp will return so I think its just like a manual code clear.

I`ll get my codes read again in a few weeks when the vans back from camper conversion. My traction control light is back on today. Thinking its a wonky connection as all sensors are fine. But it drives ok so it will have to wait for a permanent fix.

Top Bottom