Who has a better camp site than me?

glasseye

So, is that last pix one of Toroweap? I've long wanted to go there. How was the T1N road access?

So, is that last pix one of Toroweap? I've long wanted to go there. How was the T1N road access?

Yep that’s Toroweap. Road access is challenging. 60ish miles of dirt one way. Most of it was 20-30mph and since it hadn’t rained recently it was no problem. The last 2 miles... wow. My rig is stock height and ground clearance was very close a few times. Traction was also poor on the bits where both drive wheels were on smooth rock. Airing down likely would have helped.

Got stuck once with a rear wheel in the air but my buddy was able to help rock it back out of trouble.

It was all totally worth it. We hiked down to the river and met my buddy’s bro who is on a solo rafting trip.

Take Frito and get out there.

glasseye

OMFG, balancingact. You hiked down there? And BACK? You must be 30 years younger than me. :idunno:

You’re tempting me to I do Toroweap. It’s long been on my list. I might need a companion traveller, though. Bad place to get stranded. :idunno:

Superb image at riverside. Your pal’s bro will bless you for that one. :thumbup:

OMFG, balancingact. You hiked down there? And BACK? You must be 30 years younger than me. :idunno:

You’re tempting me to I do Toroweap. It’s long been on my list. I might need a companion traveller, though. Bad place to get stranded. :idunno:

Superb image at riverside. Your pal’s bro will bless you for that one. :thumbup:

I’m 46. My buddy who was with me is 56. If it was a hot summer day it would have been much harder. We weren’t in a hurry and it wasn’t crazy.

glasseye

I’m 46. My buddy who was with me is 56.
I nailed it. I'm 74 in a month.

Just back from Toroweap on Google Earth. The elevation change between the overlook and the river is 2800 feet. 5600 feet round trip. WAY outta my comfort zone, summertime or not.

Congrats on your youth and adventuresome spirit! :rad:

*edit* I returned to GE and researched the Lava Falls Trail. GHAAA!

Last edited:

sprinterPaul

Ive NEVER seen any campground in J tree that empty.....amazing!!

The reservation system has completely transformed Jumbo rocks. It’s no longer a total zoo all day long. It’s pretty empty all day. And then People show up at sunset to camp and bail in the morning first thing. So nice and calm vs the endless circling line of cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MotoXPress

The reservation system has completely transformed Jumbo rocks. It’s no longer a total zoo all day long. It’s pretty empty all day. And then People show up at sunset to camp and bail in the morning first thing. So nice and calm vs the endless circling line of cars.

Yes, much better.

It was also empty because we had snow flurries, overnight temps in the 30’s and 40-60mph wind gusts [emoji100] all night long!

My insulation and D2 keep us toasty.

sprinterPaul

Yes, much better.

It was also empty because we had snow flurries, overnight temps in the 30’s and 40-60mph wind gusts [emoji100] all night long!

My insulation and D2 keep us toasty.

Exactly why I bought the high roof Sprinter. So rad. Love that D2 also [emoji1360]

Top Bottom