• droning

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • none

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • all 3

Votes: 44 25.1%

• Total voters

Vantime

Correction - after more extensive driving I can see the droning noise is not completely gone. It is improved though - the rpm band and throttle/speed/incline range that it occurs in now seems narrower and so it happens a lot less. Further when it does drone it’s not quite so pronounced. Still annoying though.

niknas

I just got my van back from the dealer. I had a high pitch whining between 35-40 mph. Speed related not rpm. The dealer replaced a carrier bearing. Didn’t work, developed a low pitch vibration at 45-50 mph. Again speed related not rpm. The dealer then replaced the front differential. The high pitch whining is gone. The low pitch vibration is still there. Dealer thinks the vibration is caused by my tires. BFG TK2 245/70/17. I am going to have the tires rotated and balanced next week. If the low pitch vibration is still present I will return to the dealership for more trouble shooting. 12,000 miles on the odometer. The van was in the shop for two weeks, mostly waiting for parts delivery.

Last edited:

niknas

I took my van to the tire dealer and had the tires inspected for “roundness” specs, balanced and rotated. I still have the low pitch vibration at 45-50 mph. So we cannot blame the tires. I am going to drive the van for a couple of weeks before making another trip the the Sprinter dealer.

I am not a noob when it comes to 4x4s. I own two Jeeps with oversized tires. I had an Ford e350 with after market 4x4 conversion. I had two 4x4 3/4 ton trucks. None had ever had drivetrain vibration problems like this.

I really like the Sprinter. I am just bummed that I am having this problem.

OffroadHamster

I took my van to the tire dealer and had the tires inspected for “roundness” specs, balanced and rotated. I still have the low pitch vibration at 45-50 mph. So we cannot blame the tires. I am going to drive the van for a couple of weeks before making another trip the the Sprinter dealer.

I am not a noob when it comes to 4x4s. I own two Jeeps with oversized tires. I had an Ford e350 with after market 4x4 conversion. I had two 4x4 3/4 ton trucks. None had ever had drivetrain vibration problems like this.

I really like the Sprinter. I am just bummed that I am having this problem.
Is your shake felt through the steering wheel, or more through the chassis?

niknas

The vibration is “seat of the pants” more of a chassis shake. Almost like a rumbling. The vibration come on like clockwork at 45 mph and diminishes at 50 mph. Steering is smooth and tracks nicely. The high pitch whining is totally gone.

zither99

The vibration is “seat of the pants” more of a chassis shake. Almost like a rumbling. The vibration come on like clockwork at 45 mph and diminishes at 55 mph. Steering is smooth and tracks nicely. The high pitch whining is totally gone.
Sounds like driveshaft vibrations or unbalanced wheels.

niknas

I’m thinking driveshaft also. The wheels and tire were given a clean bill of health by the tire dealer.

niknas

Van’s back from the shop. All is good, whine is gone and the vibration is history also. New differential to eliminate the whining. New carrier bearing with drive shaft alignment to eliminate the vibration.

Tetonbound

Ok so I’m new to the forum. After reading all this it’s making my 2018 4x4 high roof (9 months from the time I ordered to when it arrived from Germany) $150k investment feel not so good. After a 4 month conversion and only 7500 miles am I now going to be stuck somewhere? I have over a 1000 miles in 4 wheel drive, made the whirling noise from the moment I picked it up from the dealer, but made it fine through one of the snowiest winters in Wy. I feel like I’m reading where all the issues are either that’s just the way it is or should the rear clunk and front diff noise be something I should be dealing with at my local dealer? I love my rig but super bummed after reading all this. Anything else I should be concerned about with my brand new Sprinter? Thanks.

Claude15

2015. Not to worry. I had the clunk when new, stationary shifting and slow speed downshifting. It’s either fixed itself or I don’t notice it anymore. There’s also a bit of gear whine from the front diff, all part of the experience. No difference in noise after changing the fluid in the transfer case, differentials, and transmission. Enjoy your van.

FourWheelers1987

A 2017 2500 144” Crew 4x4 High
Having the same lower range rpm droning, what’s the long-term consequences of not addressing it. The noise duration isn’t too bad.

VWbrad

On my 2018 4x4, I developed the drivetrain clunking at around 10,000 mi, drove with it for another 3,000 as people on this forum said the dealers said it was acceptable. It drove me crazy, so I brought it to local dealer. They replaced a rear axle and used a different Loctight. Clunking gone, the van is a pleasure to drive again.

SOLBRTs

MB’s green Loctite fix. Seems to have worked on mine too but it still boggles my mind that this is the ultimate solution.

OffroadHamster

Former motorcycle mechanic so yes. What boggles my mind is that it’s a patch for a manufacturing tolerance issue.
Gotcha.

It works and is cheaper than re-tooling :idunno:

Subaru has been building EJ's for 30 years that regularly drop ringlands on cylinder 4 because of a crappy fuel rail and exhaust header design. Their solution is to put new shortblocks in. Apparently its cheaper than engineering a better way. They all do it.

FourWheelers1987

A 2017 2500 144” Crew 4x4 High
Our vehicle droning noise saga. Have 2015 4x4 170 with 34k miles with purchased extended warranty. The droning noise was getting worse with more mileage driven. Took the Sprinter into MB Westminster for the droning noise and they stated it was my tires – I have Brigestone Dueler A/T 245/75 R16 with about 18k on them. We did a trip to Vancouver Island, BC this fall and put on about 5k miles and droning noise got worse as the miles grew. I know what tire noise is and this droning noise was not related to the tires. I took the Van to Linden Engineering in Golden, Co. for a 3rd party inspection. After a test drive their team said you have tire noise but what your real problem is that your drive shaft carrier bearings. In further inspection the carrier bearings are out of align. See pictures no 1 and 2. They have a good working relationship with MB Littleton – Rory Christopher and he made time that day for and inspection and did confirm the carrier bearings are out of align. They did put bearings in proper alignment. See pictures 3 and 4. But the droning noise was worse than ever before, which made sense due to the mileage on the bearings being misaligned. The Van needed winterization before it could go back to MB Littleton for next step and they confirmed this am that the carrier bearings and drive shaft were the problem and are being replaced under warranty. I will keep all informed how this goes. Out of all this I can’t say enough about Dennis and his team at Linden Engineering and MB Littleton Service group especially Rory. As for MB Westminster you can make decision.
Great post Beartravels! As usual, I put off attending to my drone which has gotten worse with miles (85% highway). I'm now roughly 900 miles short of warranty expiration and decision to get the extended one (AFTER this is covered in the original one).

What's your thoughts on the drone nowadays? Did the fix under warranty work?
Is the carrier bearing + driveshaft replacement still keeping your rig "drone-free"?

:thumbup:

FW1987

grinnelljd

My 2018 4x4 only exhibits occasional clunking during shifting from Drive to Reverse or vice-versa. The more troubling thing I've noticed is the occasional loud thunk and jolt as I am accelerating. I saw someone in a forum explain it as a product of the automatic transmission not grabbing the right gear, so you get a loud thunk and a jolt/shudder in the acceleration.

Eric B

Hello all

I have a brand new 2019 4x4 170 Cargo with the same droning at 70mph

I referenced this thread, printed out someone else's service work order posted a couple pages up, and brought it in to my local dealer.
They've had my van for 4 days now

So far they keep telling me the issue is on NCV3, not VS30
I've tried repeatedly to explain to them that the fix on NCV3 was adding the Road Spring Vibration Dampers, a part which is currently available if you try to Build Your Own brand new 2019/2020 van - but somehow that is not getting through to them

Anybody else with a brand new van had a chance getting this fixed under warranty?
Can I reference a case number / service incident or something from your van to get my local dealership to see the light?

BTW because of what was written in previous posts in this thread, I also called MB of Westminster CO and asked for Linda in Service
They told me she doesn't work there anymore
The service tech I spoke to had never heard of a droning issue with Sprinters
He put me on hold and asked his service manager - he too had never heard of it...

WTF ?

Many thanks

-e

Last edited:

Top Bottom