Espar

Snowdrift

We just uncovered our 2013 Great western sprinter and we’re testing our systems and our espar system turned on but the jet engine sound did not occur and we got no hot water.
When we checked fault codes we had an E 31. Any ideas? Thanks

Last edited:

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Well, code 031 is a fault in the Combustion Air Motor: "Check lead to combustion air motor for continuity, replace motor if necessary".

If you clear the codes and try again do you get the same code?
Do you hear the fuel dosing pump clicking when you first apply power?

Snowdrift

The fuel dosing pump has never clicked - you can here the system warming up but the jet engine sound never happens. We have checked the coolant level and the diesel levels and they both are full.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
If you hear the fan trying to start ("system warming up") but it never attempts to inject fuel, that would be consistent with something wrong with the fan. The "jet engine" doesn't happen until fuel ignition, which obviously can't happen until the fuel pump kicks in, which won't happen until the fan passes the self-test, which it isn't.

If the 031 code is to be believed, you have one of four problems:
1) The wiring or connectors to the internal air blower motor are bad. Check connectors for corrosion.
2) The fan itself is physically obstructed somehow. Should be obvious.
3) The fan motor is defective. Replace it.
4) The controller is defective. Replace it.

All of these will require removing and disassembling the D5 to diagnose or repair. If you are comfortable with this kind of thing, it isn't hard. If you are not, you will have to find someone to remove it for you. These things are not hard to work on, once they are out of the vehicle.

This manual may be useful::

http://www.eddievan.com/documents/eberspacher_hydronic_d5ws_om.pdf

If you are not comfortable working on the Espar, I recommend you send it to Rixen's. GWV bought it from them. They will make it like new for you. Call them first.

One hint on removing the unit from the van:
The hardest part is removing the glycol hoses from the barb connectors. They will be hardened and almost impossible to remove without cutting.
BUT you don't really have to remove them. You don't even have to drain the system. Instead, do the following:
1) Remove the combustion air and exhaust tubes
2) Unscrew the long screw that holds the unit to its bracket.
3) Remove unit so it is suspended by the glycol hoses.
4) Get two long-nose vise grips and use them to pinch the two glycol hoses to prevent coolant drainage.
5) The two hose barbs are attached to a flat plate at the top of the unit. You can remove this entire assembly with four (?) screws. This lets you remove the heater while leaving the hoses attached to the barbs.

I always remove mine this way when servicing the unit. If you are sending it off to Rixen's, ask them if it is ok to not send the top plate, though.

Your last alternative is to find an Espar service center. Many Thermo-King truck facilities do them. There is probably one near you.

Last edited:

Snowdrift

Thank you so much for all the info. I plan on removing the unit and sending it to Rixen. I really appreciate all the helpful hints on how to remove the unit.

Top Bottom