Sprinter for full time living

Kharrast

I lived in a 27 ft fifth wheel for a year and a half. I loved always having my house with me and being able to travel but gas was high and RV park rent is high on the east coast. So, I sold the fifth wheel and moved into an apartment. I hate the apartment it's big and beautiful on a golf course and a lake but the scenery never changes. My lease is up and I want to go on the road again but this time I want stealth living. I plan to buy a high roof extended sprinter and deck out the inside while doing as little to the outside as possible. I would be grateful for any advice on where to get things such a good used Sprinter, water tanks, propane tank locations, shower enclosure,ect. I will start posting pics of the project as soon as I find a sprinter my budget is 20,000 for the van and another 10k-15k for outfitting. First thing to decide is what year sprinter is most reliable. From reading it seems the 5 cylinder is the best so I'm currently looking at 06 models. If you think differently please let me know what and why so I don't start out with a big mistake. This is a big project so all advice is welcome.

d_bertko

What do you mean by "stealth"?

Who are you trying to fool?

I agree that no furnace, fan, a/c, screened windows or use of lights, stereo, cooking equipment would make it a tough tradeoff.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
To me stealth means you can park on a city street and spend the night without attracting attention. I usually park after dark and do not use any lights. Mine just looks like an ordinary delivery van. Does have a Maxxair fan but that is not uncommon on delivery vans. The solar panel is centered on the roof and is not visable from the street on a high roof van. No vents, electrical hookup or water openings on exterior of van.

Last edited:

gregowski

Hi Kharrast -

This forum is an excellent source of info with tons of knowledgeable Sprinter owners, and if you search, you'll see that there are already several "stealth" camper threads:

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11652
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7355

This "Your conversion - what would you do differently?" thread has lots of stealth discussion (https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=57642) with lots of strong opinions from BULBASOR.

My opinions: if you've got $20K for the van, a 2006 Sprinter 2500 high-roof 158" is a good choice. Several to be had for that price on commercialtrucktrader.com and ebay.

I'm now a householder with kids, but when I was a dirtbag climber, I lived out of my van for a year thru Canada, the US and Mexico. Successful stealth camping for us was a matter of practice as well as van design - slip into a spot on a quiet residential street just before dark, don't make any noise, no obvious lights, and be gone shortly after sunrise.

As far as van design goes, I agree with Dave on a number of things - no A/C helps the stealth factor (no noise, no power drain, no big unit on the roof), a Fan-tastic Fan is pretty low-profile and airs out our 144" quickly (especially if you're worried about CO in a small enclosed van with no open windows), and solar panels are not visible from the curb on a high-roof (no one ever sees ours!). A sealed-compressor DC fridge (like a Novakool) is very quiet, can be a very low power draw (we put 1" styrofoam panels around ours for extra-low power consumption) and does not require any body penetrations, unlike a 3-way fridge. LED interior lights help keep power use low.

Also, if you're interested, I have a DIY Sprinter conversion gallery (http://www.sprinter-rv.com/diy-gallery/) on my Sprinter RV Web site, and I wrote a 172-page Sprinter RV Conversion Sourcebook (http://www.sprinter-rv.com/sourcebook/) that includes answers to a number of the questions you're asking, including detailed year-by-year list of possible mechanical problems, inspection tips, and equipment sources for North American Sprinter camper/RV conversions.

Greg

Last edited:

d_bertko

Is this going to be a daily driver?

Folks that drycamp for a lot of days in a row have different design constraints than those that get regular alternator ah charging. Mobile folks like us get by on no installed propane, no solar, no generator and an all-electric road use kitchen. About four stationary days in camp normal---otherwise we'd bring our genset. Solar panels could be very useful and so much cheaper nowadays. Quiet is always a plus.

Are you going to avoid subfreezing temps completely?

Always recommend minimal energy consumption design. Remember that it is much easier to heat than it is to cool. A white van with just enough passive cross ventilation is a good starting point.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Stealth helps... but you don't have to make it the rule.

Rarely has anyone been shot for living in their van. Even full blown RV's have been known to camp on streets and 'get away with it'. Stealth vans get 'found', the only difference is the amount of time spent on one spot.Tickets are rare, you'll only be asked and directed where to go if a complaint is registered.

Build to your desire, and fear fear.

Seems manditory these days in this neck of the woods (sigh):
I've been living full time continuosly for 5.5 years in 2 countries and dozens of counties... Parking lots, streets, public lands, private lands, and the rare Campground...not one 'incident' (I had more incidents in my last apartment in 7 months). I look like an RV if someones looks (custom conversion with solar panels, A/C, vents & awning on top. Hookups and vent grills on the sides).

Last edited:

NBB

Build to your desire...
Yes. Get some curtains and call it good. I really like windows and ventilation and what-not. I really don't like the claustrophobic child molestermobile look.

I've parked at many major trailheads and in the middle of national parks - no problem. I've been knocked on occasionally. I don't answer. I've even generated a few fake tow truck calls. What are they going to do? I've never seen or heard of an RV getting towed away in the night. I've been busted 2x in 20 yrs. One time I was asked to leave the park for the night - so I did. No curtains, so he peaked in and saw me. The second time I got a $75 ticket - whatever - I wasn't hiding anything that time, just taking a chance in a "no overnight parking" spot. Probably 8-12 total months of nights in "bandit" mode, mostly in the middle of national parks.

Stealth to me simply means close the curtains and no lights. Spend your dinner hours with things wide open, then [possibly] relocate and close things up for the night.

Indeed a Sprinter is a good vehicle for not attracting as much attention as a full blown 'bago style RV. However, people rent the 'bago style RV's and road trip in them everywhere all the time - often staying in cabins or hotels while the RV sits empty outside. People store their RV's on the streets in many areas as well. My rig fits right in.

Last edited:

hayduke

2005/2006 leisure travel
For 20k plus 15K you can get a better pro conversion. Stealth with no windows is unnecessary.Just park legally and move early.If someone knocks,dont answer.

perkgana

Im pretty much having the same idea. We started a business that requires us to be a lot on the road. We have been doing it with a E250 van (super stealth) but we will be stayin longer so we are going into a sprinter and stealth is super important.

I bought an old rv in really good shape to use it as a donor for EVERYTHING i need inside the sprinter. The only BIG thing will be a gas tankfor the generator (if I want to use it)

What I'm going to do is run tubes for exhaust either to the top or through the bottom. If everything is sealed the gas will have to leave thru them right?

About windows.. Im only going to have one big one in the sliding door. (thats where my bed will be. Super dark tint... privacy while being able to see out and enjoy the view from my bed. Its big enough to let light in and will look stock = stealth.

Last edited:

Top Bottom