Can you insure a DIY camper as a camper?

NBB

I just got off the phone with Good Sams (GMAC), Progressive and RV America. No one will insure a DIY rig as an RV. It has nothing at all to do with how it's registered with the DMV. It makes perfect sense, really. Once an unlicensed person with no obligation what-so-ever to adhere to national RV safety codes goes in there and starts messing with things that produce flames and high voltages - all bets are off. I highly doubt such a policy has ever been issued - and if it was, it was probably a mistake. They'll all do basic liability - but no comp. I was told by a few to look into "stated value", but I doubt the cost of such a policy goes in the right direction - State Farm agent said it ads cost on top of existing policy.

Meanwhile I'm at State Farm - just got my 6 month statement - $230 - includes towing and roadside, 100% glass, 500/1k deductables, yada. It's fine. My best case would probably be in the neighborhood of $250 a year - a quote I heard from my agent to insure a 90's Roadtrek class B.

According to Good Sams, #1 claim is tire blowouts, #2 is refrigerator and propane fires...

Last edited:

Kat

Katmobile
I have State Farm insurance; have had it for years. In fact, because I have had insurance with them for so long, Because I'm still working on my conversion, I've mainly had it on comprehensive insurance only...but there have been times when I put it back on to pick up plywood, get an estimate for something or just to have a couple of days to drive it.

My insurance agent suggested that once it is done, I go to the county and change the title to a motor home...."because it is a lot cheaper". (However, in WA State, the registration for an RV is around $120.00 a year and the license for it as a cargo van is around $45 per year).

I was getting kind of tired of switching from just comprehensive to full insurance, I so called my agent and was told that the cost of RV insurance is dependent on the value that is placed on the van + the conversion. I was also told that they do not put the value on it, but I would have to add up my receipts and come up with a value. If I put a low value on it, they would only pay out up to that value in the event that it was totaled. Because the place I took it to for some of the original conversion installation items (Espar heater, solar panel, AGM batteries, inverter, etc.) WAY over-charged me for the work, I was told that I could go online and get/use regular retail prices to put a value on those items. However they told me that I didn't have to attach a value for my labor :shifty: They also said that it needed to have certain things in it for them to consider it an RV. I think they wanted a bed, but mainly they want you to have a permanently installed stove. I really don't plan on doing much cooking inside my van... mainly heating water for coffee/tea. That would most likely be done on a portable LPG burner (or my camp stove) or a portable induction cook top (if I decide to buy one). I could fake a temporary stove for their pictures & remove it afterward, but not sure yet whether it is worth the trouble.

Anyhow, because a vehicle loses value as soon as you drive it off the lot, you would need to go to NADA, Kelley Blue Book, or some place that will give you a used car value for the van itself.

I haven't worked up a value because I'm not done with the conversion yet. But, depending on what value I come up with, the insurance savings (if any) may not be worth changing it to an RV designation, especially when I add in the higher cost of registration.

State Farm also said that if I kept it insured under the van designation and I totaled it, they would still cover the cost of all of my upgrades.

Kat

hayduke

2005/2006 leisure travel
In any state where the registration is more for an RV than a van,they will be happy to take the few xtra $$ and give you RV plates. It could have a $50 Coleman stove , porta -potty, a futon,and an outdoor hose,and you are a motorhome, though in fact no one will ever look

NBB

State Farm also said that if I kept it insured under the van designation and I totaled it, they would still cover the cost of all of my upgrades.
That's something I would want to see in writing.

When you actually get a quote for the stated value, let us know if it's cheaper than RV insurance. Mine was way higher. It's basically exactly the cost of the van comp insurance + insurance for the total of your receipts - both higher than RV insurance.

daddiozz

We just when threw this with the DMV.They said,11000lbs makes it a commerical vechicle,PERIOD!!!!! They said the only way for a 3500 11000 lb sprinter can get pass plates if its made into an RV, even if 12 seats were put in, it would still not qualify due to the weight . the 11000 lbs is the problem......(related incident), I have a neighbor w/3 handicapped children. They have a 2009 3500 11000lb handicapped RV w/ pass plates. They got a ticket on the parkway(southern state) for commercial vehicle on parkway. They fought it and LOST!!!!! They were told,If they had a 2500, it would have been ok!!!!(meanwhile, school buses,and commerical shuttle buses are allowed!!!!!:idunno: )
Although this has nothing to do with Sprinters,....some states (notably California)are going after 5 th wheel/pickup combos ,claiming a CDL is now required to operate them in their states..after viewing some Sprinters converted to 5 th wheel haulers ,I had considered such a conversion myself ,but as our long anticipated itinerary for a our "retirement " cruise across the whole USA and Canada includes quite a bit in California ,we've decided to go for the more conventional motorhome pulling a utility trailer for our toys instead.

Top Bottom