Mod: Water Filter

Kiltym

I installed an inline water filter on the cold water at the kitchen sink. It took a fair amount of research to find something that would work, and it seems like it has worked, so I wanted to share the info here.

The following parts were used:

1x Slim Line 5" Housing, Pentek 158110, 3/8" I/O, Blue/Clear, w/PR, MB cap
1x Wall Mounting Kit for 3/8", 1/2" and 1/4" Pentek Housings, Pentek 244047
1x Wrench for Slim Line and Slim Line 3G Housing, Pentek 150539, SW-1A
2x 3/8" NPT to 1/2" 90 degree hose barb, plastic (picked up at local Ace hardware)
1' of 1/2" hose/tubing (picked up at local Ace)
2x 3/8-7/8" SS hose clamps

I purchased two different filters as I was not sure how each would deal with our GoWesty water pump.

I am using this filter:
EP-5 Carbon Block Filter, Pentek 255424-03, 5 Micron

I also tried this filter below, but the pressure drop was to big and only a trickle of water was coming out of the tap. With the 5 Micron (above), the water pressure appears to be exactly the same with or without the filter in place, which is great.

CBC-5 Carbon Briquette Filter, Pentek 155169-43, 0.5 Micron

I ordered most of the parts from Evoqua (https://www.evoquaadvantage.com/) as they had good prices. The filters are only like $3 from this company. Parts can also be ordered on Amazon.

Total cost was about $36 including 2 filters and shipping.

Attached some photos of the installation as well.

The most difficult part is working in the cramped space. Getting the cold faucet hose removed from the 1/2" tubing was probably the hardest part as there is very little room to maneuver.

Attachments

MrTomacco

Mr. Tommaco
Just remember that in addition to removing organics and chlorine, the carbon provides lots of surface area for bacterial growth. Eliminating chlorine and trapping organics provide a nice habitat for bacteria. A sub-micron filter can keep them out of the discharge. Change the filters often.

Rob

Kiltym

Yes, I would have much preferred the .5 micron filter, but the pump is just not strong enough for it. I did find a slightly stronger pump made by Whale, but that would be another project I don't feel like dealing with right now. If your pump can handle it, the .5 micron is better.

I probably could have managed with the .5: if you just turn on some of the "hot" water, the pressure is fine again. But when running all cold (for drinking), it is pretty slow, and the wife said no :).

So, the compromise is the 5 micron. Since the filters are only $3, I will probably change every 6 months as I think that should be sufficient.

Kiltym

Do you notice a plasticy flavor imparted by (what looks to be) vinyl tubing?
No. All the hoses are spec'd for drinking water. No bad taste at all. With the filter, the taste is as the same as bottled water, no "taste" at all.

Top Bottom