ELECTRIC CARS

icarus

'07 with 110,000. Oil and filter changes, and tires. Never needed any service what so ever. Averaging, over those miles, just about 49 miles per US gallon.

Icarus

Davydd

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4764208/Child-miners-aged-four-living-hell-Earth.html

:hmmm: The real price of an electric car! ps: Just reposting the msg!

Child miners aged four living a hell on Earth so YOU can drive an electric car: Awful human cost in squalid Congo cobalt mine that Michael Gove didn’t consider in his ‘clean’ energy crusade

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ged-four-living-hell-Earth.html#ixzz4pFhviWTA
Fake news with an agenda to stir up people about EVs. I hope you are not using a smartphone and pining away for Dorsen. Smartphones contribute to 91 Billion Kg of Cobalt whereas Teslas cars contribute to about 8 million Kg. Lithium batteries are not going away. The issue is with the Democratic Republic on Congo allowing child labor.

bladerunner

Fake news with an agenda to stir up people about EVs. I hope you are not using a smartphone and pining away for Dorsen. Smartphones contribute to 91 Billion Kg of Cobalt whereas Teslas cars contribute to about 8 million Kg. Lithium batteries are not going away. The issue is with the Democratic Republic on Congo allowing child labor.
Curious..............Which bit is 'Fake'............... sources please??

And..........."The issue is with the Democratic Republic on Congo allowing child labor."

I suggest comes back to 'supply and demand'......................especially from the Western world.

And then there is the (some would say) twisted ethics/morality that most of us are guilty of in that if it occurs in someone else's backyard its not our problem because its not our doing even though OUR purchasing of the products with its 'content' drives the demand for such practices as child miners.

And yes...........Lithium batteries are not going to go away any time soon because of the money there is to be made and every money making exercise usually has some collateral damage and that is more to the point of this little rant of mine because on the one hand we have folk chest beating about their savings ($'s) with their beloved Prius and also how it is supposedly making this BIG difference in reducing the worlds pollution levels and then there is a 'dark side' to the exercise which you and me and probably many others are happy to ignore or claim its not our problem!

Does Hypocrisy come to mind??

Drink and be merry for tomorrow we could be dead!

:cheers:

Last edited:

Davydd

Fake news because it is a hit piece on England's decision to go EV by 2040 and Tesla in particular. Facts are EV are a drop in the bucket for the Cobalt problem and Dorsen is not going to be saved by England's rescinding EVs which is the point of the article, thus fake news. That's a human rights issue to be resolved by the UN or other countries to changed to Congo's ways. Besides, Cobalt is available in several other countries.

bladerunner

Fake news because it is a hit piece on England's decision to go EV by 2040 and Tesla in particular. Facts are EV are a drop in the bucket for the Cobalt problem and Dorsen is not going to be saved by England's rescinding EVs which is the point of the article, thus fake news. That's a human rights issue to be resolved by the UN or other countries to changed to Congo's ways. Besides, Cobalt is available in several other countries.
Curious...............like to list for us what is not fact in the article as opposed to your opinion ???

Davydd

Fact and fake are not the same. Factually if you take it at face value with the figures and such there is nothing wrong with it. As to if it is news at all relative to EV cars it is fake news. Logic tells you when breaking down those factual numbers, 91 billion Kg cobalt for smartphones alone let alone all lithium battery use vs 7 million Kg cobalt for EV is preposterous if you think Dorsen's plight is going away with England rescinding their EV car mandate. If it is not fake then it is stupid news for thinking EV cars are an issues at all in this. And if you fell for it for that reason in reposting then that is on you. Dorsen's plight is a separate issue, and blaming cobalt mining vs. the government, I'm not seeing you very alarmed. That's the hypocrisy.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I have to admit being amused by the claim " Smartphones contribute to 91 Billion Kg of Cobalt " ...
(although there's the weasel-word "contribute" ... thus he's not really saying that 'Smartphone ate all 91 Billion Kg', merely that they took a mouthful or ten)
Then there's the "annually?" or "in total"? issue...
If the entire population of the planet each bought 10 smartphones since their introduction, that would still work out to over a kilogram of Cobalt per phone (if Smartphones ate it all).

--dick (quick Googling suggests that the Democratic Republic of the Congo supplies 60% of the world's current cobalt production)

Top Bottom