Next Westy Map - see all Westies on one US Map

jamescook

Hi folks,
after traveling 48,000 miles thru the US and meeting dozens of other Westy owners, I collected a long list of cities and names.

Now I put it all together on a single map. I call it the "Next Westy Map". It is meant to be used on mobile devices. If you allow your browser access to your current location, you can see where you are and where the next Westy owner is. So if you're traveling and see another Westy owner in range, you may call or mail and arange a meeting. We did this 45 times on our two trips and met incredible people! Some of those people sold their Westy, but that didn't matter. For that reason, I keep them on the map as well. They have a Westy icon with the letters "EX" on it. That way you won't be disappointed, when you visit and can't have a look at their van.

I take the protection of private data very serious. The map doesn't contain any data without explicit permission. I also don't want the map to be read by google or other robots. For that reason, I don't post a link here.

I'm happy to send the link to any present or former Westy owner. Just send me an email to nextwesty@djc5.de and ask for it. Find out, if you are already on the map. Without permission, you will just see a blurred icon and no contact info.

Along with the link to the map, you will also get a link to a form, where you can provide your phone-number and email-address, so others can reach out to you if they are close enough. Please don't share either of the links and don't put it anywhere on the internet. Let's keep the spam robots out. Just share these lines, including my email-address nextwesty@djc5.de (this is a forwarder, that I just delete, if I get spammed).

This project is just at the beginning. Please tell me, what you think about it.

My goal is to put all 237 Westies on the map, that have ever been exported by Westfalia. I need your help for that!

Enjoy
Peter

Attachments

jamescook

We have to thank. We visited 45 Westy owners on our two trips and experience a great hospitality. This is my way to say thank you :)

Peter

PS: please use only the sign-in-form, that I will send you. I need all your permissions on one place.

jamescook

I'm still learning, how to handle things with the Next Westy Map.

Now I created a public link to the map: http://nextwesty.djc5.de

This leads to a public version of the map, without any private data. So everybody can check it out live and decide wether to be at part of it or not.
If you own (or did own) a westy, and didn't sign up for the map yet, you can do this here: http://eepurl.com/cpIEqn

All registered owners will get (or already got) an email from me with a link to the private version of the map. This link contains a key to unlock the private data on the map.

Peter

jamescook

Hi
I just added a new entry in Illinois. That reminds me (and you), that there are still many blurred icons of Westy owners, who didn't sign up for the map yet.

Peter

PS: some statistics: we have 51 entries including 3 ex-Westies. And there are 64 blurred icons including 11, that I met personally.

Riptide

Great resource, Peter. Sorry we missed you in CT...

How much does it cost to ship one's Westy from Europe to US each way. Keep meaning to ask...

Pat

Riptide

It's roughly 3000 $ each way.
That's about what I figured. So you can imagine the shock I got when I looked into how much it might cost to ship my Westy to Iceland...

$30,000.

Each way.

That was from the one company that apparently has a route from the USA to Iceland...

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
That's about what I figured. So you can imagine the shock I got when I looked into how much it might cost to ship my Westy to Iceland...

$30,000.

Each way.

That was from the one company that apparently has a route from the USA to Iceland...
So why not ship your Westy to mainland Europe, eg Rotterdam or one of the German ports then drive circa 600 miles to Hirtshals in the North of Denmark and catch the Smyril Line ferry to Iceland for approx 3,200 USD return. The crossing is 48 hours and you get the option of spending a few days on the Faroe Islands on either the way there or back. It is a truly amazing journey and one you will never forget.

Keith.

Last edited:

Riptide

So why not ship your Westy to mainland Europe, eg Rotterdam or one of the German ports then drive circa 600 miles to Hirtshals in the North of Denmark and catch the Smyril Line ferry to Iceland for approx 3,200 USD return. The crossing is 48 hours and you get the option of spending a few days on the Faroe Islands on either the way there or back. It is a truly amazing journey and one you will never forget.

Keith.
Well, I think because I am not an EU resident, the requirements are a bit stricter. My vehicle has to be at the port like 10 days in advance on both ends, or something like that. Pretty much burns up my whole vacation...

sdratwa

Hi Everyone,
I am glad to announce that I finally got my Airstream Westfalia! I started using it in grand style by bringing it from Mechanicsburg, PA to Vancouver, Canada - a total of 2450 miles, 5 days drive.
I am not sure how I can discover which number is my Westy. Any tips?
Roland did an excellent job of keeping and maintaining the van. The van looks almost brand new.
Here is a picture of Roland (on the right) passing the `baton` to me (Sergio, on the left).
I would like to thank you in advance for the valuable information on this blog. I will definitely need to reach out for more knowledge and tips in the future...
Regards from the new family member, Sergio

Attachments

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=446955&postcount=1

[Quote below from administrator of the James Cook Forum. Photos in link above. Lots of Westy owners in Seattle area and also a Westy owner-technician who can fix Sprinter and Westfalia stuff.]

Hello,
some of you post your westy# in your signature, some don’t.
Just in case you don’t know your westy number, I can tell you where to find it and shed some light on the meaning of the different numbers.

Win was so kind, to take some photos of his westfalia sticker on the c-column (visible, when the sliding door is open).

On his sticker, you find two blocks of numbers.

[282 035] and [4.00083]
282 = James Cook
035 = model version NAFTA
4. = model year 2004 (does anybody have a 5. = 2005?)
00083 = serial number within the model year
This makes it westy #083

I know about numbers between #006 and #246

Cheers
Peter

Rosewood

Hello from Canada

We were lucky enough to find and purchase a Westy (three miles from our house) in Vancouver BC Canada last summer.
I am trying to find the 0 to 250 production number. I can see remnants of the sticker on the C column but it is not readable. Would the VIN reveal the Westy number?

It has 111,000 miles on it and is in very good condition. We had the brakes replaced for the first time, I replaced the original Espar heater with the new M2D4R unit with the Easy Start Pro control unit. I replaced the original water heater with the electric start model, replaced the turbo-resonator, and I did a major service on the transmission, replacing the conductor plate, it seemed to lag shifting into fifth after climbing a hill. Is that typical of the Westy?

We are eager to get out on the road as soon as the virus ramps down and travel restrictions removed.

Regards

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Welcome.

1. Would prior owner know?
2. Try Airstream in Ohio and give them VIN and also the number on the sticker on the inside closet door with the weights?

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54669&highlight=Vin

3. Perhaps Peter (James Cook administrator) might have a contact at Westfalia in Germany.

4. Using the VIN, you can ask for the full data card from members here (Sailquik). The VIN will give you the date the Sprinter portion was manufactured, options, etc.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83612&highlight=vin+datacard

A Westfalia datacard:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=382552&postcount=44

There is a West Coast gathering for this summer near Portland, Oregon, at AutoCamp's and the regular annual get together on the East Coast over Labor Day in early September. Don't know if these may have to be cancelled.

CaptnALinTiverton

xT1N Westfalia
Well, I think because I am not an EU resident, the requirements are a bit stricter. My vehicle has to be at the port like 10 days in advance on both ends, or something like that. Pretty much burns up my whole vacation...
Perhaps a new thread should be started for shipping Westies. A quick two points I'll make:

US citizens have three months in EU countries for travel without a formal visa (considered tourist) so if your vacation time-off allows or if retired, there is ample time to do such trips. You can also jump to the UK for three months, then go back to continent countries for another three, and so forth. . .

The real cost is $6,000 shipping both ways plus vehicle insurance which is another $4,000/year. Expensive but a lot cheaper than a year's worth of hotels/B&Bs.

The down sides are language barriers, especially when service is required, and forced virus lock-downs. The latter is a real bummer when governments stupidly close all the campgrounds. You don't have the option of just quickly returning home. (Just ask us about it)!

AL

Top Bottom