Canadian vs US Sprinter prices - huge differences

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
I know and no one is enforcing it ,there are many ways around it be registering your name as a resident at a Friends place in the US the law is full of flaws
but that's not going to stop the tide is it, as that dollar keeps on going up and the Canadian Government refuses to address the problem the worse its' going to get.

Also thinking when in BC I use local license, Aus license international license or diplomatic license The local fuzz have not the time to bother, honest. unless your in a Major accident then your in a tricky spot, but that depends on who's pushing the investigation.
I do not condone it , Bit humans are humans, if there is a will they will find a way.
Just My opinion
Richard

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
Sprinter
Super Moderator

Posts: 2,250 Re: Canadian vs US Sprinter prices - huge differences

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mercedes-Benz v Dodge Freightliner two different set ups
Sprinters are not sold via Mercedes_Benz in Canada but through Dodge Freightliner outlets.
just to bring a Bent Benz into Canada costs Ca $500 at your local Benz franchise just to look at it then they charge like bulls to bring it up to compliance MB in US is different to MB Canada.
The last Sprinter to head into Alberto was this time last year he saved 7200 on a standard LWB 2005 Plated Sprinter . went through the same exercise found a dealer to deal paper work dodged up rubber stamped of he he went back through the by roads on a US tagged Sprinter he jumps borders every three months just to keep it legal.
Imagine all of the Canadians buying over the boarder man all hell would break lose on that one, Yeah Go for it, but watch out for the State Troppers cover your rear end on everything , just to keep the ball in your court.
Richard

Richard: by federal Canadian law, as a Canadian with a Canadian drivers license it is illegal to drive a US plated vehicle in Canada. Cheers cl
How about a rental car with US Plates on it you drive across the border, what then?

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Tourist visa or apply for imagination
The funny part of that one is I'm driving a RHD Sprinter from Washington DC back into Canada and I don't need a permit
Diplomatic Immunity
Sometimes in life I have a little fun and dam I love stirring the Local fuzz up with these.:smilewink:
Richard
usdip2007.jpg

rvdriverca

Richard
After I moved back to Canada, about 6 months later I went to pick-up my car in Ohio around the holidays with my son. Because I now had a Canadian drivers license my son, who still lived in Ohio at that time, had to drive the car from the border to my house, by customs order. BTW better get a new diplomat plate as that one expired last March. cheers cl.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
:thumbup:It has been ,we have to move the US based Sprinters currently in storage in Washington,back into Canada by the 20 th Dec or they get reborn as Coke Cans.
Asked the embassy, they said the same 'use a tourist visa' it's good for 12 months.. different provinces ask you ,to drive out and back to keep the books in order, they will turn a blind eye, especially in Alberta.
Richard.
Adding to the comment the latest Canadian update and I know this for fact If you have a temporary work permit in the US you can apply for a drivers license depending on your occupational status This is where the trick is you drive in to Canada with the US ID and you can have a temporary permit to drive US plated vehicles for a period of 12 months the above vary in different provinces and that depends where you reside some back water blocks no one gives a rats tail what plate your on when just about every vehicle is out of rego true.
Capping on what I have said before I have dual citizenship under the old commonwealth act ...the rights of Canadian citizenship... can not be with drawn... even though my permanent residence is in Australia, I still have residential status in the US, because it is required under US law so the embassy in Washington is my residence ,I could nominate either the US or Canadian embassy, or even the Australian embassy.
my parents and are still alive in Vancouver so my home address is there for Canada not that I've been back much , I had issues with them, but that's being sorted at Christmas I hope.
I have Australian and Canadian driving licenses, US and international license, including the Joker trump card diplomatic status.
If I drive my sprinter :thinking:well it's not mine That belongs to the ETC in Hague at the Netherlanders but I am in charge of it I can get through many roads without out customs check points, if I go through a designated customs border check point, and the local customs officer decide to do his job and look at the paper work , I would be cleared through without delay , However If by the odd chance some newbie tried to stall me on a technical point of entry! I will give him two choices.
Clear me through now, or face the singular option ...Rule 303. it never fails:lol: Just to make it a little more complicated I have a green card and that was only issued because of different states with different employment regulations Like an old union rule if your working on the tools show us your union card, we covered every angle possible because of the contentious issues we were dealing with last year, and riding shot gun was real in some of the lesser states ,some of them good ol' boys were not to keen to come clean .
Richard
canada1.jpg

Last edited:

jacques1111

I bougth a brand new 2008 Sprinter in USA this spring. I had the intention to transform it in a small camper. Prices in Canada were too high for my budget so i decided to buy in USA because of "the huge prices differences". The dealer advised me, when i took delivery of the vehicule, that the warranty would not be applicable in Canada , but the price difference was so important and i was already in USA at the dealer store so i decided to take the risk. In my view, it was not a so big risk, i usualy buy used vehicule without warranty and a new one should have less issues than a used one.

Today, the vehicule has only 1300 miles (2300km), i went to the chrysler dealer because of a lot of noise coming from the power steering and the good new i had: the rack and pinion seal was leaking and i need to replace it. The cost of the rack and pinion : 5000$ plus labour.... and no warranty from chrysler Canada. I will have to pay the full price. The price of the part is so disproportionnate considering the quality of the product "1300 miles (2300km)" and you have to put it in the garbage where it should have been at the begining.

I understand now why chrysler and mercedes have so poor quality feedback from their customers. A manufacturer ,who is supposed to be one of the best in the world, who did not have the pride to correct that kind of errors is astonishing. chrysler did not gave me a rebate because i am Canadian and not eligible for the warranty, i pay the same price as USA residents pays for the vehicule. Their is a price for the warranty and it is included in the price they charge for the vehicule. They put the money back in their pockets and do not give the warranty. Chrysler should do a lot of advertising in Canada to sell their Sprinters with no warranty they will be a lot more profitable than to sell to USA citizen.

I totaly lost confidence about this vehicule and at the price simple part as this one is sold i want get rid of it . If someone want to buy an unwarranted mercedes and take the "huges riskes".:thumbdown:

Last edited:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Would the warranty be honored in the USA if you transported it to a US dealership? Or does the fact that the vehicle is registered in Canada void the warranty?

Last edited:

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
I bougth a brand new 2008 Sprinter in USA this spring. I had the intention to transform it in a small camper. Prices in Canada were too high for my budget so i decided to buy in USA because of "the huge prices differences". The dealer advised me, when i took delivery of the vehicule, that the warranty would not be applicable in Canada , but the price difference was so important and i was already in USA at the dealer store so i decided to take the risk. In my view, it was not a so big risk, i usualy buy used vehicule without warranty and a new one should have less issues than a used one.

Today, the vehicule has only 1300 miles (2300km), i went to the chrysler dealer because of a lot of noise coming from the power steering and the good new i had: the rack and pinion seal was leaking and i need to replace it. The cost of the rack and pinion : 5000$ plus labour.... and no warranty from chrysler Canada. I will have to pay the full price. The price of the part is so disproportionnate considering the quality of the product "1300 miles (2300km)" and you have to put it in the garbage where it should have been at the begining.

I understand now why chrysler and mercedes have so poor quality feedback from their customers. A manufacturer ,who is supposed to be one of the best in the world, who did not have the pride to correct that kind of errors is astonishing. chrysler did not gave me a rebate because i am Canadian and not eligible for the warranty, i pay the same price as USA residents pays for the vehicule. Their is a price for the warranty and it is included in the price they charge for the vehicule. They put the money back in their pockets and do not give the warranty. Chrysler should do a lot of advertising in Canada to sell their Sprinters with no warranty they will be a lot more profitable than to sell to USA citizen.

I totaly lost confidence about this vehicule and at the price simple part as this one is sold i want get rid of it . If someone want to buy an unwarranted mercedes and take the "huges riskes".:thumbdown:
Why dont you drive back to the nearest US dealer and have it worked on........under warranty. You still are entitled to warranty, just in the US however. Most canadian live within 150 miles of the border. Borrow someones US plate when you take it in just to not have any hassles...if need be.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Why dont you drive back to the nearest US dealer and have it worked on........under warranty. You still are entitled to warranty, just in the US however. Most canadian live within 150 miles of the border. Borrow someones US plate when you take it in just to not have any hassles...if need be.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the warranty is now void ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BORDER.

Top Bottom