Serenity Trunk epoxy fix?

Cobalt

My trunk is held in a 90 degree position by 2 wire guys. The eyelets on each guy is attached to a metal rack which also holds the awning openers, fishing poles, etc. The rack is attached to the fiberglass door with epoxy. I want to repair but want to make sure the epoxy I use does not react badly to the fiberglass. Has anyone else had this issue?

Here two images of the door with the rack in place and pulled aside to show where it bonds.

Attachments

geds

2018 Serenity
The aircraft cables used for the trunk are insufficient to support the weight of the trunk. Just one drop of the trunk door can and likely will break the cable attachment points. To solve this, go to an auto parts house and purchase two tailgate cables that are the same length. It should cost about $15. Replace the aircraft cables and you should be good to go! If the hinges have pulled through the fiberglass, that can be repaired with bolts and a metal (I prefer stainless) backing plate as LTV's hinge screws just go into the fiberglass. I added epoxy into the screw holes to ensure a permanent fix.

hoosierrun

I built my own soft close system for that rear door. I think I mentioned in another post that it is a bit complicated. I relocated the wiring harness that routes across the back, purchased a soft close (spring loaded) cabinet bracket and had to use a shelf bracket slide. The wood upright will eventually be replaced by aluminum stock, but I wanted to be sure to get the holes exactly right, so wood allowed me to re-drill a bit if I need to offset the holes a bit. The spring loaded bracket hinge has an extra strong spring so I only needed it on one side. I got shorter stainless steel cables so they act as a stop with the door 90 degrees open. So far this has worked like a charm. In one of the pictures below, the door is at 45 degrees and it is not being held except by the soft close bracket spring.

In my opinion, the factory setup is terrible. I think the first time I accidentally dropped the door, the cables pulled out and the door smacked the bumper, putting a couple of nicks in the paint.

Attachments

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
Very interesting. I didn't get the cables, I got chain on my 2007 model. So when I drop the door the links expand and then the chain can come undone. Will be interested to see the final product.

How is the seal around the door holding up for you? I had to take caulking to re-seal the seal to the RV as I was getting all sorts of water in there.

-Randy

hoosierrun

Very interesting. I didn't get the cables, I got chain on my 2007 model. So when I drop the door the links expand and then the chain can come undone. Will be interested to see the final product.

How is the seal around the door holding up for you? I had to take caulking to re-seal the seal to the RV as I was getting all sorts of water in there.

-Randy
At one time we experienced a torrential rain storm so strong that the back of the Serenity was like a waterfall. I did get water into the back hatch. I'm not sure if I had a towel stuck in the weatherstrip or if it was a real leak due to a bad or unsealed strip. I have my door latches tightened to the maximum they will go. So far no more leaks and we have had some good rains but nothing like the one where I had the leak. I may need to re-seal eventually.

What product did you use on the weatherstrip/gasket?

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
I cannot recommend it as I don't think rubber and caulking go together, but I haven't had issues since I sealed it. The rubber seal literally torn along the line where the two pieces met. I assume that LTV wants us to just order another seal.

-Randy

Top Bottom