Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Airstream > Sprinter Westfalia

Old 06-08-2018, 10:41 AM   #1
BellaMarSpirits

Default Roof AC Shuts Down

Picked up a Westi and noticed the roof AC isn't working. Plugged into shore power it will turn on and then at night within 10 minutes it's shuts off and just the fan runs. During the day less than 3 minutes of run time. (We were in Las Vegas)

I tried running the generator and it seems like power consumption is too high for the generator and it shuts off as well.

Not sure where to start looking or what to test. Any advice would be welcomed.

Cheers!
BellaMarSpirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:42 PM   #2
onemanvan

Default Re: Roof AC Shuts Down

Poke your head out the upper Skylight and confirm the fan on top of air conditioner is operating they are prone to failure.

Use a DC clamp-on ammeter 2 measure current going to DC motor should not be more than 80 amp.
onemanvan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to onemanvan For This Useful Post:
BellaMarSpirits (06-11-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 10:12 PM   #3
OldWest
T1N Westfalia

Just to clarify, there are two fans. The fan on the outside for the condenser fins is the one One ManVan is talking about.

The other fan blows air out of the little vents in the AC cabinet. Interestingly, one can turn the temperature knob all the way off, past the detent, to just have the blower fan run without the AC running. Another Westy owner found this out and posted. Presumably, the temp control is set at a good temp for AC to run.

Also, make sure fan belt is not slipping (good tension and not glazed) and is in good condition. Can see fan belt with AC cover off (BEWARE of moving parts). Figure if orlginal, fan belt is quite old.

Anything more complcated, One Mandan will have to advise.

Last edited by OldWest; 06-08-2018 at 10:20 PM.
OldWest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldWest For This Useful Post:
BellaMarSpirits (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 07:27 AM   #4
BellaMarSpirits

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWest View Post
(BEWARE of moving parts).
Well as luck would have it my hatch won't open. I changed the batteries to the remote. I pulled the fuse and when I plugged it back in the red light blinked several times but the hatch won't open with the remote....Sorry for being a NEWB & TIA everyone.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:15 PM   #5
OldWest
T1N Westfalia

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...8&postcount=12

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...kylight+remote

Looks like you tried the above.

Red light blinked so under Cabinet switch must have been on?
Skylight lights turn on/off with remote buttons?
Try remote when weather is cooler--when circuit board in Skylight is hot, may not work as well.
Remote buttons may be wornout. Open remote and see if pushing innards manually works. Someone posted a fix by adding something to the innards to make buttons work better.

Please post what you find.

Worst case scenario, buy another Heki 4 plus or a manually operate Heki 3 plus.
The Following User Says Thank You to OldWest For This Useful Post:
BellaMarSpirits (06-12-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 03:03 PM   #6
Tortuga44

The factory rooftop AC is unique to the Westies in that it is a DC voltage unit. It can run on shore power (through the inverter), or off the van's alternator. They are two separate systems controlled by the Kissling relay (this is in the small compartment that also gets you to the back of the water heater & the 120VAC Inverter). The Generator is not powerful enough to run the AC (this is in the manual somewhere).

I had trouble with my roof ac for the last few years. Mine works fine on shore power, but stopped working when the van was running. I thought my issue was the Kissling relay, but it worked fine. I think there is a voltage regulator somewhere by the interior AC control panel. I've heard clicking coming from the interior roof AC vents when I tried to turn on the AC, and it didn't work. I think if you don't have enough voltage, the system will shut down. I cleaned all my electrical contacts- on the roof, and at the kissling relay Then I cleaned the 100A fuse under the hood (this one is just above the battery) on the right hand side. And now my AC works while driving! This is what makes me think there's a part I've been missing when troubleshooting the AC.

If your system runs for a little & then shuts down, it could be that the system is old & needs some attention. Try cleaning all the contacts and lubing with dielectric grease. Then it could just be a matter of load on the motor. See if you can reduce the temperature settings to get the AC to run the motor for as long as possible. This may help get the system loosened up. If you can run for an hour or two, then try increasing the load by changing the temperature.

If it'll help, there's also a link to the Westfalia wiring diagrams and repair manuals. These will show you some of the details to help track down your problems. Best of luck.
Tortuga44 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tortuga44 For This Useful Post:
BellaMarSpirits (07-06-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 03:18 PM   #7
Kiltym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga44 View Post
The Generator is not powerful enough to run the AC (this is in the manual somewhere).
We run our AC off the generator every month for ~20 minutes to "exercise" the generator. Always works for us OK, except when at high alt (8000'+) when the generator does not provide enough output. At 10,000', our generator will not start.

Never saw a mention of not running the AC on the generator in the manual (but certainly could have missed it). In fact, to me, it seems the entire reason that Airstream install the generator was for the AC.

If there is indeed a reason to not run the AC off the generator, please let me know!

Last edited by Kiltym; 06-13-2018 at 03:20 PM.
Kiltym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:23 PM   #8
OldWest
T1N Westfalia

The Westfallia manual does not mention the Airstream added generator, unless there was a later version of the manual.

Lots of folks run the coach Kerner AC off the generator. The only downside is the propane tank may not last long (8-10 hrs?) and for the price of propane, may be better to find and pay for a hookup.

There may be some caution in the Onan manual about not running big AC units.

Also, one should start generator and let it run for a minute or so or more? Before putting a big load like the air condiitioner on it.

Running the microwave and the air conditioner together may be too much of a load for the generator, especially if the battery charger is also recharging depleted coach batteries.

Exercise generator for 2 hours every months, ideally under a load. Although ours is propane and not likely to gunk up like gasoline, running generator dries out ambient humidity/condensation (as recommended by an Onan rep at an RV show).

Last edited by OldWest; 06-13-2018 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:15 PM   #9
OldWest
T1N Westfalia

Skylight remote control repair of buttons from Autocamp''s blog:

https://eat-drink-men-women.blogspot...words.html?m=1
Old 07-03-2018, 08:03 PM   #10
BellaMarSpirits

Made the decision to remove the AC unit and run a Dometic Penguin II 11k BTU unit. For those who have already done this, what suggestions do you have? Ideally, I would like to be able to run the AC while the van is on (will upgrade the alternator to a 280 amp unit). I would also like to maintain the option to run the unit with the Onan gen or shore power when plugged in. I have reviewed different posts and most have gone with a Magnum inverter but after talking to a sales rep at http://donrowe.com He made the comment, "why spend all that money when there are options that will work for 1/2 the price". Thoughts/opinions (I'm sure they are out there).

Thank you!