Maintenance: Oil/Fluid Testing

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
http://m.blackstone-labs.com/

Any Westy owners use?

Folks on this overall forum have been using Blackstone Labs to test their oil and other fluids. Why test?

[Quote from Blackstone website:]

Oil analysis is a quick way to gauge the health of an engine by looking at what's in the oil.

People use oil analysis for different reasons: to see if there are any problems developing, to see if their oil is working well in the engine, and to see if they can run longer oil changes.

[End Quote]

1. Oil Changes by ASSYST (Sprinter computer which tests certain qualities of oil) or 10,000 Mileage.

Is it okay to go with the mileage recommendations of ASSYST or should one go with a shorter 10,000 mile oil change interval?

Comments in the overall forum seem to suggest that the Blackstone Lab oil analysis shows one can go by the mileage ASSYST intervals (usually longer than 10,000 mile intervals).

My ASSYST intervals have usually been 13-14 thousand miles or so.

Blackstone also tests the oil additives to see if can extend oil change interval.

2. Oil Changes by ASSYST or Minimum One Year.

If one drives less than the ASSYST oil change interval, must one still change the oil every year as set forth in Owners Manual?

No answers reported on forum based on Blackstone Lab tests.

Some folks only drive a few thousand miles a year or less (Westy in winter storage).

3. What is condition of engine?

Nice to know. Especially if may have ignored one year oil change intervals on low mileage Westies.

Or if just purchased a Westy.

If selling a Westy, might be reassuring info.

4. Automatic Transmission Fluid Change

Although DaimlerChrysler recommends 80,000 mile transmission fluid changes, Dr A and others say this interval is much too long, especially for heavy RVs.

25k intervals may be better; up to 40k for some Sprinters depending upon type of driving.

I went with 25k intervals at @25k and @50k miles, and based on condition of fluid (not lab tested) at @75k and @110k, received suggested interval of 35-40k for me would be fine.

Doesn't look like any reports from Blackstone Labs on transmission fluid reported in forum.

5. Worthwhile?

For fleet operators and others trying to establish norms, can be very useful.

For new owners of preowned vehicles, may provide peace of mind (or not).

For lightly used RVs, might be useful to know if one can rely on ASSYST and might extend oil interval to more than one year.

6. Free Containers

Blackstone will send free sample containers to collect oil or other vehicle fluids.

mogul2us

Mine goes in for a transmission fluid change later this week at the Sprinter (former-) dealer in this area. This will be the 2nd fluid change in 110 Kmi; first was at 60Kmi.

When I had it in back last fall before winter snooze for a transmission sending unit leak (the 2nd since we've owned it), they said that the trans fluid should be changed based on appearance and smell. This is a good service spot (used to do FedEx Sprinter service) and I trust them.

The transmission fluid change is not cheap...around $600.

mogul2us

Top Bottom