All-electric RV Coming to Market

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Neat. I suppose in theory you could "simulate" a power failure using the breaker panel.
Fortunately both the refrigerator and freezer plugs are easily accessible. In previous power outages I have run an extension cord into the house from a generator. To test just unplug them and use an extension cord from another outlet with the Kill-a-Watt meter to determine the power requirement. Will know soon. Using the van will be quiet and easier than the generator.

Last edited:

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD

P.S. Today I installed the female plug at back of van on the passenger side. Now I need to wait for PG&E to have one of their power outages so I can power our house refrigerator and freezer from the van inverter. Still need to use the Kill-a-Watt meter to determine if I can run both at the same time.
That is also my plan. We had two power failures last week. But both were only for a few hours. If/when we get another longer outage I plan to run refrigerator in garage off the van's inverter, bcaked up by 440AH AGM battery pack and 400 watts of solar. If it gets really bad I could run the generator to top off the batteries.

I could do a test run to see how well my van can keep a standard refrigerator running. I might also use my Kill-a-Watt meter to run the numbers.

A few summers back we lost power for nearly 5 days in this suburb of Baltimore. We seem to have a third world power grid at times. :hmmm:

P.S. I just bought a Chevy Bolt EV as our town car. After two months fo use it appears to be the perfect vehicle for my use in this urban/suburban area. For long trips I just use the Sprinter.

WayneinPD

Live in a California desert community that I try to leave in summer. Last year couldn't and my (ex) 2016 Electric Ford Focus that, until then was a joy to skip gas stations with, decided that 110+F wasn't to its liking. The mileage dropped to 1/2 and to 1/3 on gradual hills. Once the last mile to home was on Empty, and another time it dumped us 10 miles from home when the round trip distance showed 10 miles surplus. Most charging stations enroute were incompatible. Then circumstances changed to where I would need to use it almost daily. It's gone. So will I be if California mandates those things.

Kosinar

2017 Unity TB Silver
Yeah. Idea of electric car with gas price at $1.87 and likelihood of Trump getting rid on any electric car subsidy does not sound that good anymore. Just my opinion. Not that I would consider buying one ever.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Yeah. Idea of electric car with gas price at $1.87 and likelihood of Trump getting rid on any electric car subsidy does not sound that good anymore. Just my opinion. Not that I would consider buying one ever.
Going electric isn't about your pocketbook--it is about your grandchildren's well-being.

Kosinar

2017 Unity TB Silver
It is always about children when we are told to pay for some hoax or give up some of the freedoms. It never fails. As far as not being about pocket book? There are a lot of people that have to mind their pocket book in order to have their future and children's future at all. Electric car is not going to be for masses for a long time as long as there is a more economical alternative. Just saying.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
It is always about hoaxes and given-up-freedoms when we are told that being responsible humans isn't important. It never fails. If you can't afford to do your bit, then don't. All the more reason for collective action.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
All the more reason for collective action.
In other words a reason for the government to reduce our freedoms further.

If you want to save the world please work on the source of the problem. When you reduce vehicle pollution by 10% and the population increases by 20% then I suspect you are losing the battle. People cause pollution!

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
In other words a reason for the government to reduce our freedoms further.
Correct. "Freedom" is not an absolute good. We don't have "freedom" to steal from each other, for example. Nor should we have freedom to steal from our progeny. I am libertarian right up to the line of the freedom to harm others.

If you want to save the world please work on the source of the problem. When you reduce vehicle pollution by 10% and the population increases by 20% then I suspect you are losing the battle. People cause pollution!
You keep saying that, without suggesting how.

The fact is that developed societies automatically lower their birth rate. It is reaching crisis proportions in many countries. The growth problems are all in the third world and are due to poverty. The only fix is to turn them into prosperous societies. The best way to do that is to trade freely with them. This would be a good idea even if it cost us money, which it does not. People with economic ties tend not to attack each other. This is why isolationism may well be very the worst part of the entire mess we are currently in (and that is saying something).

BTW: We are going to have to do a LOT better than reducing vehicle pollution by 10%.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Correct. "Freedom" is not an absolute good. We don't have "freedom" to steal from each other, for example. Nor should we have freedom to steal from our progeny. I am libertarian right up to the line of the freedom to harm others.

You keep saying that, without suggesting how.

The fact is that developed societies automatically lower their birth rate. It is reaching crisis proportions in many countries. The growth problems are all in the third world and are due to poverty. The only fix is to turn them into prosperous societies. The best way to do that is to trade freely with them. This would be a good idea even if it cost us money, which it does not. People with economic ties tend not to attack each other. This is why isolationism may well be very the worst part of the entire mess we are currently in (and that is saying something).

BTW: We are going to have to do a LOT better than reducing vehicle pollution by 10%.
I think you are correct. We need to export birth control methods to these counties. Even if we have to trade "freely" with them.

I do keep saying that population on the earth needs to be reduced. Not an easy solution with the religious and cultural restraint's.

Reducing vehicle pollution 10% is easy. Just destroy 10% of the vehicles. To start, get rid of our van conversions that serve no useful purpose. Oops, that will cause an uproar. Easier to reduce the population.

TwoClinks

2016 Unity TB
From the same car company that brought you the electric Smart car. It failed miserably and is no longer sold or supported. Where did they all go? In the plastics recyclable bin!

Last edited:

Klipstr

2018 Wonder FTB
Man down, man down! Oh gawd did I laugh.

I was hoping for a spectacular collision with parts flying everywhere. Once can barely call that a collision. I did feel a little sorry for the little guy. He couldn't put his little T-Rex robot arms out to catch himself!

autostaretx

Erratic Member
From the same car company that brought you the electric Smart car. It failed miserably and is no longer sold or supported. Where did they all go? In the plastics recyclable bin!
Perhaps they were reborn as Fiat Lounges, of which 500 (yes, the model number, but also the count) are available for rental here in Seattle:

LimeCar.jpg

Lime is one of the drop-it-anywhere bike/e-bike/scooter rental companies.

--dick

Last edited:

TwoClinks

2016 Unity TB
I'm thinking the Smart batteries that no owner owned in their car are being repurposed & installed in the new EV Sprinter.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Lime bikes in Seattle as street art:

eBikeArt.jpg

--dick
p.s. eyeballing those, none appear to be their e-bike version

Last edited:

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
Speaking of All Electric Appliance RVs, for those interested in diesel or gas chassied Class B van builds, that can be run solely by shore power or Lithium batteries (600ah), Coachman and American Coach are the only manufacturers who have van builds that boast they can fully run the coach, including operating the AC, for more than 8 hours. The models are Coachman Beyond Li3 (Ford Transit Eco Boost gas), Coachman Galleria (Sprinter) and American Coach All Electric PATRIOT Eco Freedom (Sprinter, Sprinter 4x4, and Ford Transit Eco Boost gas) Class B Van's. They have second alternator charging so neither offer generators with their Li models and American Coach doesn't include a propane tank since none of it's appliances operate from propane. Both have a number of versatile floorplans to choose from. There are a few other manufacturers offering some smaller capacity amp hours of Lithium battery builds but none that include operating the AC for HOURS. Class B Van's are small and the wet bath would take some getting used to, but the All electric appliance and up to 8 hours of coach operations (including AC) provides the kind of cordless autonomy that you could accept as trade offs to more independence and freedom. I like the idea of buying an RV that meets all your technical expectations and can immediately be used for adventures versus all the work, time, $$$ my Unity has taken to become the right RV for me! I hope higher tech features start to find their way into the wide body Class C Sprinter builds, hint hint Leisure! For people who have ordered and are waiting the 12-18 months for a new 2021 Leisure, one of these maybe an alternative to rent or buy while you wait because they are available now on dealers lots, no waiting!

For anyone interested in the Ram Promaster chassis builds, the Coachman Nova and Fleetwood IROK are also all electric appliance and 600ah Li Battery Class B builds. The Fleetwood IROK is the first more luxurious build I have seen in a Ram Promaster van. The Winnebago Travato doesn't offer all Electric Appliances but does have a large Lithium battery bank and high tech features.

Last edited:

Top Bottom