The best Scan tool for 2006 Dodge Sprinter

Sprinterimpulse

I am reading that the DAD supply dried up. I wanted to be able to get all functionality from a scanner . I own a Snap-On Red Brick at this time . I am reading a lot of Limp home Mode posts. I want to be able to reset .

surlyoldbill

Any OBDII scanner, including phone app like Torque and a ELM327 adapter, will reset codes and turn off CEL. They won't tell you the deep info or perform specialized functions, though.

I spent $15; $10 ELM327 bluetooth OBDII adapter, $5 Torque pro app. Measures and displays anything with a sensor, better and prettier than any scangauge or OBD scanner, and infinitely upgradable.

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
Any OBDII scanner, including phone app like Torque and a ELM327 adapter, will reset codes and turn off CEL. They won't tell you the deep info or perform specialized functions, though.

I spent $15; $10 ELM327 bluetooth OBDII adapter, $5 Torque pro app. Measures and displays anything with a sensor, better and prettier than any scangauge or OBD scanner, and infinitely upgradable.
Yes but can it clear LHMs?
The basic CEL stuff is just the beginning, when a Sprinter decides u only get 2nd gear and reverse until the TCM is reset that is when things start to suck.

As a point of clarification.

No scan tool can "Clear LHM's".

Limp Home Mode LHM is a reduced power mode enabled to protect the drive train from severe damage. It is set by a module(s) when certain unusual vehicle operating conditions are detected.

LHM response can range from simply disabling the turbo (reduced power) to setting engine RPM limits to limiting the transmission operation. The transmission operation can be limited to Park/2nd gear/neutral/reverse, and in the most severe lockout, no transmission drive response at all.

Repairs or other corrections to the vehicle need to be effected to restore operation. Once the offending problem is corrected, or if the detected problem just goes away (for a time), most all lower level engine related LHM modes will be cleared (normal operation returned) without clearing the DTC's aka codes.

Transmission LHM
Even after repairs, to restore proper operation transmission related LHM generally does require accessing the TCM to clear the transmission related DTC's. A Sprinter specific scan tool aka "higher level" is needed to access the TCM to clear those DTC's. Clearing the companion DTC's found in the ECM aka ECU is not enough.

There is a danger in not fully recording the DTC's before clearing a module history. DTC's can be cleared which may never again present to help aid in troubleshooting. A failing part can trigger a DTC and then not be noticed again by module monitoring after that failure.

Loss of history using a generic OBDII scan tool can be even more devastating to troubleshooting. A generic tool has the ability to clear codes which it can't even display.

If under warranty I would never clear ANY DTC history. The dealership often needs that information to apply warranty repairs. That can include mandated emissions control related extended warranty.

The act of clearing DTC's with a scan tool of itself is not a repair. Not all lack of power situations are computer set LHM.

:2cents: vic

Last edited:

MAALI278

It depends on. However, most cheaper OBD2 scanner run slowly and have little functions. On the opposition, if your budget is around $200, the OBD2 scanners is always satisfing to the most extent. At previous BLACK FRIDAY, I boudget Launch X431 OBD2 Scanner Viii https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EN7JPIOat lower price, and is very happy with it. Its design is more exquisite and more comprehensive than other OBD2 scanners I ever used.

It depends on. However, most cheaper OBD2 scanner run slowly and have little functions. On the opposition, if your budget is around $200, the OBD2 scanners is always satisfing to the most extent. At previous BLACK FRIDAY, I boudget Launch X431 OBD2 Scanner Viii https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EN7JPIOat lower price, and is very happy with it. Its design is more exquisite and more comprehensive than other OBD2 scanners I ever used.
One post eh.
Please tell more about this particular eml327. Some are better than some.
I am looking for a reliable one, obd2world seems good.

cmderden79

Today I am returning this Scanner. After reading numerous threads I ordered Autel MD802
About to be a new sprinter owner and a scanner is definitely one of my first purchases. Question on the MD802. Amazon has both a diaglink version for 99$, and a MaxiDiag full system for 228$. Is the full system what everyone is purchasing? Is there a huge difference between the models as they relate to sprinters?

I was looking at blue driver as well, what made you decide to return it?

toast

About to be a new sprinter owner and a scanner is definitely one of my first purchases. Question on the MD802. Amazon has both a diaglink version for 99$, and a MaxiDiag full system for 228$. Is the full system what everyone is purchasing? Is there a huge difference between the models as they relate to sprinters?

I was looking at blue driver as well, what made you decide to return it?
Which did you end up going with? Trying to decide between the MaxiDiag Elite MD802 or the cheaper Diaglink version.

Specifically going to need the Exceptional Brake Bleed functionality

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Well, the original thread was 9 months ago, but no one seemed to mention what the Dodge and Freightliner dealers were *using* (and the service manuals discuss) "back in the day"

Their scanner was the DRB-III, with the add-on Sprinter multiplexor/cable/adapter.
About $6000 new, somewhere around $2500 used circa 2006.

So if you wanted to do everything a dealer could on a T1N (see next paragraph), that would be the device to have.

"everything": even with the above, there were still a few items that required the dealer's "StarScan" system.
Mostly that involved changing the paid-for options that the Sprinter would be willing to perform, such as Cruise Control.
I *think* the DRB-III was capable of entering the magic codes for enabling those options, but the StarScan was required to *get* the codes from Daimler/Chrysler.

--dick

toast

Well, the original thread was 9 months ago, but no one seemed to mention what the Dodge and Freightliner dealers were *using* (and the service manuals discuss) "back in the day"

Their scanner was the DRB-III, with the add-on Sprinter multiplexor/cable/adapter.
About $6000 new, somewhere around $2500 used circa 2006.

So if you wanted to do everything a dealer could on a T1N (see next paragraph), that would be the device to have.

"everything": even with the above, there were still a few items that required the dealer's "StarScan" system.
Mostly that involved changing the paid-for options that the Sprinter would be willing to perform, such as Cruise Control.
I *think* the DRB-III was capable of entering the magic codes for enabling those options, but the StarScan was required to *get* the codes from Daimler/Chrysler.

--dick
Yes, the DRB-III is the holy grail of code scanners for the T1N (There's one on ebay right now for $3,200) but what's the best bet for around $200? The Autel MD802 has since been discontinued and all the ebay sellers offering it for sale have all told me they are permanently out of stock.

How's the diaglink? What about newer Autel offerings? Specifically need something that can do "Exceptional Bleeding" for bleeding the ABS brakes

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
808 Pro is the new 802 and priced like the 802 was, shop around, under $200 somewhere. Don’t think it cycles ABS, most here just drive it on a dirt road to cycle the abs.

... Don’t think it cycles ABS, most here just drive it on a dirt road to cycle the abs.
Not that anyone asked...

The ABS aka CAB aka HCU pump activation for bleeding the brake system is not worth a DIY owner spending big bucks to get.

A 2 year standard brake flush maintenance schedule without pump activation is sufficient to maintain the brake system to proper standards.

Fact.
The Sprinter ABS aka CAB aka HCU module is a Bosch design.

Fact.
The Bosch design module is used in other brand vehicles.

Fact.
Other vehicle manufacturers using the Bosch design recommend a periodic brake fluid flush schedule with no mention of pump activation.

My opinion.
As a practical matter the pump activation isn't necessary. The MB recommended procedure requiring pump activation is either another example of Mercedes penchant for needlessly specific detailed maintenance, or a ploy to assure that more Mercedes vehicles return to MB dealerships for service.

As an aside, MB also includes an unnecessary red tamper proof clip on the transmission dipstick tube for similar reasons.

:2cents: vic

Top Bottom