Trying to find the courage to do a 170WB build

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
Try to find someone else in the Bay Area to visit with as well. The more you see of different builds the clearer it will be with what you want. I also highly recommend going to the Sprinterfest West in Tualatin Oregon this year. When I was starting the first conversion, Sprinterfest was invaluable.
I think we need a norcal meetup to help this guy out. I don't mean to take this thread off-topic...so carry on!

Wirelessness--sent you a PM.

dttocs

I think we need a norcal meetup to help this guy out. I don't mean to take this thread off-topic...so carry on!
+1 - I’m at an earlier build stage than you, but should have composting toilet in place and cabinets reassembled by this weekend or next. I’d be interested in seeing what others are doing in person too...

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton

Wirelessness--sent you a PM.
Where and when do you want to meet? One location that would work is Marina Green in SF. I think it would be beneficial to Wireless to see different builds. I know I benefited going to the Sprinterfest meets in Oregon.

Asimba: Is your Avatar location Avila Beach?

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
Where and when do you want to meet? One location that would work is Marina Green in SF. I think it would be beneficial to Wireless to see different builds. I know I benefited going to the Sprinterfest meets in Oregon.

Asimba: Is your Avatar location Avila Beach?
Good eye, avatar is Avila Beach.

I wonder if there will be a Sprinterfest in Chico again this year...

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Good eye, avatar is Avila Beach.

I wonder if there will be a Sprinterfest in Chico again this year...
I lived in Avila for 3 years after finishing college at Cal Poly. My dog Boss was the "mayor" for those years.

Believe Dale is planning on another meet.

ThomD

While i like the idea of a meet up, I have lots to do on the van before my trip in June. So, mid-late Summer would be better for me.

mtbkers

I'm in the Bay Area too!

We had Outsidevan build us our dream machine for four people and an 80lb lab to live in for 5 months as we didn't have the time to tackle that big of a project with the time we had. I read somewhere on the forum that they spent over 1000 hours on their build (I can believe that now. I spent over 20 hours just making curtains). We only had the two seater bench, but you could travel with 5 people if you had a 3 person bench. We stored 6 bikes under the bed and all the other crap that goes along with full time van living.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51001178@N02/sets/72157655192712530/

We sold it when our kids got to be 13/14 and preferred to spread themselves out in a tent. When they were little, they slept sideways. This was a big help.

Your kids are so small, they could probably fit in these:
http://www.cabbunk.co.uk/

The thing we learned from our dream van was that it was over the top for weekend warrior/vacation situations. Some people absolutely love complicated electrical stuff. Some people are master carpenters/CAD experts and others can weld. Not us. When my husband and I decided to buy another van and attempt to do most of the work ourselves, we had to be realistic about our abilities and time. Simplicity was key. We bought a lithium Goal Zero for the fridge and laptops, and had a local guy fit an aux battery that runs off the alternator for the half a dozen LEDs and Maxxair fan. Probably not the cheapest way to go, but super flexible as we can take the fridge/GZ out and put it in the garage if we don't need it (or put them in another vehicle if another member of the house is going camping). After spending hours running wires/conduit all over the place, we ended up pulling them back out again as we agreed that we don't need light switches at every door, or 10 USB ports. We built a simple table for inside from parts available from UK conversion companies and at some point will build a simple galley with hand pump water.

Just Do It! It's fun!! (just be aware that there will be a lot of arguing and a mind numblingly large amount of trips to Home Depot/Fastenal and this forum).

I'd be up for a Sprinter meet :)

Last edited:

Markus Robinson

Your wish list is SO extensive I found myself almost laughing at what you want to fit into your build; seems to me that you need a genie's bottle. The time you take planning is the MOST important time you will invest in your build. Know EVERYTHING you want to put in before you start. That way you won't find yourself spending days retrofitting lines behind walls and insulation or finding that what you bought doesn't fit. Use a decent layout tool, be prepared to make multiple iterations. I spent well over a month just doing design (while at the same time building a parts list of components that would be integrated into the build). I went through seven major version revisions. Do "traffic" studies with full size bodies in your plan to see whether there is really enough space. Remember the dirty little secrets of Sprinter conversions few people talk about out loud... WEIGHT LIMIT... My 4x4 170" 2017 Sprinter 2500 has a Maximum Payload (occupants & cargo) of 2,431 pounds. That's for everything!!! people, toys, food, water, batteries, bikes, etc., etc., etc. And I'm building for two people. You for 5. You will certainly need a 3500! STORAGE VS. OPEN SPACE. The vast majority of Sprinter DIYers fill their vehicle up with cabinetry. It ends up being really cramped and HEAVY... If you are interested in seeing my design doc. drop me a line at markusfrobinson@gmail.com and I'll send you the latest iteration.

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
Your wish list is SO extensive I found myself almost laughing at what you want to fit into your build; seems to me that you need a genie's bottle. The time you take planning is the MOST important time you will invest in your build. Know EVERYTHING you want to put in before you start. That way you won't find yourself spending days retrofitting lines behind walls and insulation or finding that what you bought doesn't fit. Use a decent layout tool, be prepared to make multiple iterations. I spent well over a month just doing design (while at the same time building a parts list of components that would be integrated into the build). I went through seven major version revisions. Do "traffic" studies with full size bodies in your plan to see whether there is really enough space. Remember the dirty little secrets of Sprinter conversions few people talk about out loud... WEIGHT LIMIT... My 4x4 170" 2017 Sprinter 2500 has a Maximum Payload (occupants & cargo) of 2,431 pounds. That's for everything!!! people, toys, food, water, batteries, bikes, etc., etc., etc. And I'm building for two people. You for 5. You will certainly need a 3500! STORAGE VS. OPEN SPACE. The vast majority of Sprinter DIYers fill their vehicle up with cabinetry. It ends up being really cramped and HEAVY... If you are interested in seeing my design doc. drop me a line at markusfrobinson@gmail.com and I'll send you the latest iteration.
I agree with your points of planning, space versus cabinets and weight. Perhaps you could start a build thread instead of emailing.

Akula Calhoon

I bought a 2007 170 sprinter in Dec. of 2017, I'm just getting to paneling the walls, I have not experience or even a proper place to build, no garage, I have to keep everything in my van. My biggest mistake so far, was not checking the side trim panels for leaks, had to stop pull lower 1/3 of wall out and rebuild. Most of my time is gathering and learning how to do the phase, which always starts out slow and confused, by the end I'm moving at a good clip and I still always think the next phase is going to be sooo easy, which is never has, not one part of this process has been easy, all of it worth it but hard. As for electrical, when I started I thought I needed to do a full build, what I ended up doing was the basic DC wiring and using a harbor freight battery charger as the power source, over time I've slowly built up electrical components, now I'm at a Battle Born 12v 100 amp, inverter, battery monitor with NOCO G15000 charger to charge it.

Point is, if I can do it you can too, it will be hard, theres a lot of resource out there, if you want to do it, you can do it.

Top Bottom