Valvoline super diesel

316cdi

Hi all,
I recently purchased a 2003/4 316cdi ex-ambo with the 612 engine and did an oil change using Valvoline super diesel which on the label says mb228.3 CH-4.
I call the valvoline tech line to make sure and he said i should be using a CH-I oil and synthetic also.
My question is does anyone else use Valvoline super diesel in their sprinter?
Also going by the mb228.3 rating it should be suitable.
This is my work van so it's operated in normal conditions on the NSW mid-north-coast and will do around 15,000kms a year.
Cheers Alex

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
there is two of magnetic both gas and diesel and super magnetic Diesel only CH4
note this is a long range H/D performance oil for extended mileage and oil change intervals. it is similar to both Mobil Devlac 1540 and BP C6 15 40 both are semi synthetics.
If your only doing 15 thuo a year I'd personally consider using Mobil 1 0-40 with supersyn GOLD as it exceeds all requirements for long and short haul runs under any temp hot or cold and does not mind staying idle for a month or two the plus is this oil will hold for a 12 month period it also is a fuel saver combined with BP 10/ppm NSW has both Winter fuels, Alpine and Winter grade fuels check with BP as to your area of fuel quality assurance.
This product is five star rated but costs 90 dollars for 5 litres if your silly enough to buy retail, so buy direct from Mobil distributors the savings are massive. it is rated MB 229.3/229.5 meets API SM/CF and ACEA A3/B3&A4/B4
Ring Tech line 1800 033 863
Consider the alternative.
Richard
PS log onto valvoline Lube site Aus and look for oils suitable for your sprinter.
v1540 (Custom).jpg

Last edited:

316cdi

Thanks for the reply Richard.
I have the service books that came with the van and it say's oil with MB228.3/229.1 which on the rear label of the valvoline super diesel it say's it meets this standard.
So why would this oil not be suitable for a 316cdi sprinter?
Cheers Alex

PS What i am trying to understand is valvoline have an oil they say meets the MB specs but then turn around and say you should be using this other oil. If MB say use a certain spec oil and the oil i have say's it meets the spec's on the label but the oil company say use something else, what's going on!!!!

I am happy to change to an other oil if it's not suitable but as the van had a Valvoline service sticker on it i assumed whoever serviced it last used a valvoline oil, so i used an oil that said it met the specs required.
Hopefully someone can make sense of all this.
Cheers Alex

Last edited:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Fair question so I'll give you a controversial answer.
Oil technology changes faster than a book eg; manual stays trapped in time. as in history it's a reference only pertains to the specific time frame. Example I have a 313 and from the first oil change used Mobil Delvac extra 15w-40 MB 228.3.229.1 new Cl-4 formula
switched and stayed with BP Vanellus 15W-40 MERCEDES BENZ SHEET 228.3/229.1
THESE OILS ARE FOR H/d USE AND THE SPRINTER IS CLASSIFIED WITHIN THE RANGE for long service oil change intervals in 4 years not once has the van failed or ever had injection or fuel issues not once.

The last scan European set for my Sprinter zero trouble codes.
As the van is no longer being used full time I'm switching to Mobil 1 gold super synthetic 0-40
I have a relationship with both Mobil and BP techs Quote Oil standards vary as to ASTM standards based on the grade of oil used as to six base crude oils available for re-processing to a formula.

I asked both techs this question define the grade of oil for a Sprinter!..AS to Chrysler Australia MB's specifications as to where an oil grade suggested is no longer applicable as to it's tonnage rate.
There of course was no answer.

I re-defined the question,as to what is written on the sheet as to vehicles using the said oils this is the standard Mobil1 oil
Answer from Techs Porche MB sedans light commercial usage,etc.
I then asked for the limit of tonnage! there was no answer until I directed this to MB Germany and it stops at 3.2 Tonne.
Our vans are two tonne through to 6 tonne and there is no way those basic oils can handle the high Australian temps we have from 45C to minus 20C in the outback the values of the basic oil will not perform in the longer term where the H/D 15-40 mineral or semi syn and full super syn 0-40 will.

It's not a glitch in the system or even a mistake, as this is the prescribed formula to MB service personnel at most outlets as to fast short range oil changes with a 50% mark-up on oil 50% on parts and high labour rates. this is not on for a MB owner as MB states the higher value oils are for extended oil change ranges for fleet operations, hence less than 50% of Sprinters are actually serviced at a franchise outlet. 40thousand plus between oil changes is available not 15 or 20 thou.
However I was the Guinea pig and the principle of long range oil change usage is proven as the van over a 4 year period is mechanically perfect. not a leak not a squeak from the engine.
If you link up to any Australian lube service chart from any of the oil manufactures every one uses a as similar reference chart even authorized MB mechanics not affiliated to a MB franchise use 15-4 in the three ranges available and 90-W gear oils.and again there are three grades in the same range.

Each of the three oils I have used are Sprinter designated after 3.5T.
I do use an upper cylinder lubricity agent as a fuel enhancer, as BP backed the product and guaranteed the fuel as both being comparable as to MB Australia saying Quote: ask your local refinery for additional information.

If an oil matches MBs specks use it, as there are varying qualities you get what you paid for as Castrol says Oils ain't oils.
please search the Australian oil sites and look for yourself then make your decision.
Richard
dscn1737or3 (Custom).jpg

mobil1.jpg

mobil2.jpg

mobil313.jpg

mobil sprint.jpg

316cdi

Thanks again Richard.
I will do a search for what's available.
I used the Valvoline Super Diesel because it was the only oil i came across that met the MB specs but i will look around abit more to see what else is available.
Funny thing is only the 20ltr drum of VSD says it meets the spec, the smaller containers don't mention it.
cheers alex

Top Bottom