New Roadtrek post receivership does not honor warranty for 2nd owner

Just want to share my experience calling Roadtrek a few days ago. I inquired about the 6-year warranty and first person I spoke with said there's no warranty after the receivership. Then I spoke with another person whom said the warranty only applies to the first owner -- in other words, the warranty is non-transferrable. Besides, there's no warranty post receivership and they now only offer 2-year warranty.

Most of the issue is surrouding the Ecotrek system, and the technician whom I have spoken with did not appeared to be genuinely knowledgeable about the system. I am just curious, what are your thoughts about Roadtrek overall? So far, I have not been impressed and after having invested so much time an money fixing small issues here and there, it would be crossed off my list when I do wind up getting rid of the Agile and shopping for a new B-van. I went as far as to remove all the Roadtrek labels from the Agile, it looks much cleaner now. The more and more I dig into it, it's just very poor quality overall for a $100K plus (new) B-van. Honestly, I think Winnebago Travato is much better in terms of quality/workmanship (house part) than Roadtrek -- though it is now either Transit or Promaster based.

Moral of the Story; should've went with Pleasure-Way from the beginning.. oh well.

Last edited:

rosswilliams

I think its important to realize the Roadtrek brand was sold by the receivership and is now owned by an entirely different company. So I don't expect them to honor an old warranty from the bankrupt company.

We bought a used 2015 Roadtrek Etrek and have been very happy with it. I haven't noticed any build quality issues, but I really don't have anything to compare it to. I am certainly happy to have an all-electric coach that runs off batteries. We don't need propane and we don't need to plug in. I think Winnebago may be offering something similar now, but it sounds like they are having some of the same "teething" problems with lithium batteries that Roadtrek had to start with. I haven't seen a Pleasureway without propane yet.

Last edited:
I agree that it's an entirely different company, but, seems like they will continue on with the brand Roadtrek in the mean time. However, I wasn't quite impressed with how they brushed me off that I am second owner; let alone, right from the start, they wanted to ensure that I understood that there was no warranty whatsoever after exit from receivership. But this is all subjective, maybe they were getting tired of explaining the situation for customers that are calling in about issues they are having and already upset that they lost the 6 year warranty. Anyway, this alone would be enough for me to look at other brands when I've just had it with this Sprinter based Roadtrek. Sprinter's DEF issue is another headache.

Yes, the Ecotrek system was working fine for a bit until the belt broke at around 30K miles. I've read somewhere that the premature belt breakage may in fact partly due to the UHG not aligned correctly from the factory. After it was replaced, it has been working okay until the Lithium stopped charging one day. Now for some reason, I am not getting voltage from the ignition wire (Brown) on the Balmar, so trying to isolate this issue, but the spaghetti of wires underneath the driver's seat makes me cringe each time I have to look in there. This tells me that the builds were either rushed or may have been trying to cut corners during the build.

So, yes, I will likely be looking at other Non-Roadtrek models when I am ready to go shopping for replacement.

I think its important to realize the Roadtrek brand was sold by the receivership and is now owned by an entirely different company. So I don't expect them to honor an old warranty from the bankrupt company.

We bought a used 2015 Roadtrek Etrek and have been very happy with it. I haven't noticed any build quality issues, but I really don't have anything to compare it to. I am certainly happy to have an all-electric coach that runs off batteries. We don't need propane and we don't need to plug in. I think Winnebago may be offering something similar now, but it sounds like they are having some of the same "teething" problems with lithium batteries that Roadtrek had to start with. I haven't seen a Pleasureway without propane yet.

rosswilliams

We haven't had any DEF or other issues. We have been extremely pleased with it. The new company is using the same models and designs, at least to start, and I certainly would not be discouraged from buying another one because the new company wasn't honoring Hymer's warranty. Try calling Thor, that bought the parent company, Erwin Hymer Group, and see what response you get.

Moto Vita

RVB: Has there been a resolution regarding the Roadtrek warranties?

Reuer: Yes. We will honor warranties, of course. However, we will not be able to honor the previous six-year warranty. Instead, warranty claims will be honored for a two-year period commencing on the date of purchase up to a maximum warranty claim amount of $1,500 per unit. New units will have a two-year warranty.

Excerpted from here
https://rvbusiness.com/rapido-group-is-focusing-on-resurrecting-roadtrek/

We may have to vote on how many folks in the Sprinter world has DEF related countdown/sensor issues including many other factors. Just an after thought, I love the Sprinter, just don't like the diesel MB Sprinters due to AdBlue or DEF. Prior to that Dieselgate related mods that started all this, loved diesels. In fact, I mostly owned diesels up until about 2012 after I sold my last VW Beetle TDI.
We haven't had any DEF or other issues. We have been extremely pleased with it. The new company is using the same models and designs, at least to start, and I certainly would not be discouraged from buying another one because the new company wasn't honoring Hymer's warranty. Try calling Thor, that bought the parent company, Erwin Hymer Group, and see what response you get.

rosswilliams

We may have to vote on how many folks in the Sprinter world has DEF related countdown/sensor issues including many other factors. Just an after thought, I love the Sprinter, just don't like the diesel MB Sprinters due to AdBlue or DEF. Prior to that Dieselgate related mods that started all this, loved diesels. In fact, I mostly owned diesels up until about 2012 after I sold my last VW Beetle TDI.
This thread started with a complaint about the lack of warranty on the old Roadtrek company's units. Problems with the emission systems, including DEF, ARE warrantied by Mercedes. even on those units. Like a lot of new technologies, the emissions systems had some bugs to start. It appears those are fixed.

Agreed, it is complicated trying to appease the both tree huggers and torque lovers at the same time.
This thread started with a complaint about the lack of warranty on the old Roadtrek company's units. Problems with the emission systems, including DEF, ARE warrantied by Mercedes. even on those units. Like a lot of new technologies, the emissions systems had some bugs to start. It appears those are fixed.

rosswilliams

Agreed, it is complicated trying to appease the both tree huggers and torque lovers at the same time.
I don't know if old-fashioned diesel fumes killed any trees, but they were certainly very unhealthy for anyone exposed to them. If it weren't for the modern exhaust systems, including DEF, I wouldn't own one.

As for torque, I have yet to hit a mountain or hill where the cruise control didn't hold its speed.

So I am a happy camper on both scores.

Top Bottom