DEF Engine Shutdown Countdown after fluid level ran low

Hi All,

I have recently got lazy and did not top off the DEF fluid and the low level indication came on along with number of starts before shutdown message along with CEL.

I see some tools on eBay that is simple as plug and play to reset the error but somewhat expensive versus having to go to the dealer to have the code reset.

Can anyone share some experience with this? I was also looking at Carsoft MB-II OBD-II unit on Amazon for about $160 but not sure if it will reset the code.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
This would have been better asked on the NCV3 Talk sub-forum as it's base vehicle rather than conversion related.

And I'm sure there is already a thread running on a Dongle which can remove the count downs.

Keith.

Thank you Cheyenne. Yes, I did some research and have decided to get a plug in device that basically resets it. Thought that it would be a worthwhile investment to have it in the glove compartment in case I run into this issue while travelling. I also saw a ECU reprogrammer that essentially defeats the whole DEF system but thinking it's a bit drastic for a minor annoyance for now.
This would have been better asked on the NCV3 Talk sub-forum as it's base vehicle rather than conversion related.

And I'm sure there is already a thread running on a Dongle which can remove the count downs.

Keith.

SD26

2012 NCV3 3500
Thank you Cheyenne. Yes, I did some research and have decided to get a plug in device that basically resets it. Thought that it would be a worthwhile investment to have it in the glove compartment in case I run into this issue while travelling.
Will follow to hear your feedback on it.

Okay, just received the count down reset tool and it worked! I was bit nervous because I had to drive a bit then pull over, then insert the tool, then let it reset. My count went down from 7 to 6, I was getting really nervous, but it actually worked. It reset the CEL and also removed the Countdown. First when I tried it on my driveway and it first reset the CEL but not the DEF countdown. Then I drove to Home Depot and ran the same sequence and it worked. Not sure if it will work at Lowe's however (jk...) I am a happy Roadtrek camper!

Operation is very simple.

1. Turn on Ignition (do not start the vehicle).
2. Plug dongle into OBD-II port lower left of the steering column. You would need to open the access cover by pressing the thumb screw and rotating. Then pop off the cover.
3. Wait about 20 seconds and it will start the program cycles. It will go through at least 5 cycles while the glow plug light flashes and while displaying the DEF and Countdown screen. Each time it goes through the cycle, it will beep multiple times, this is normal.
4. When complete, the glow plug (looks like a short spring) light flashes 5 times.
5. Wait about 10 seconds then turn off the ignition and remove key.
6. Remove the dongle.
7. Wait about 30 seconds.
8. Start vehicle.

One thing, if it resets CEL but the DEF message still persists, you may need to drive the van a bit then pull over then re-start the sequence.

I purchased mine on eBay and it will be a permanent resident in my glove compartment.

Good luck!

Will follow to hear your feedback on it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Top Bottom