Places to park while using SF, NYC, DC mass transit

G

Gsand31415

I would like to visit some large cities using their mass transit and were wondering if there were convenient places to park close to transit entry points, including commuter trains. Please list pro and con with suggestions.

I would like to visit some large cities using their mass transit and were wondering if there were convenient places to park close to transit entry points, including commuter trains. Please list pro and con with suggestions.
First. Your question is quite nebulous. You might try to narrow down the scope by mentioning some of the cities by name or at least a general area.

You may get more play on the question if you post the new details here.

About that Adventure
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=185

Added:
Oops. Clicked the arrow, so missed the thread title.
Places to park while using SF, NYC, DC mass transit
I moved the question for you.

Have fun

vic

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 50714

Not sure how secure mass transit parking lots are here in Commiefornia. Always be cognizant of potential smash and grab. Used to be able to park the car and go for day hike. Not now without risk of vandalism. Friends daughter's car got driver's smashed and inside ransacked at a Bart station.

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
In Washington DC most of the outer, end of line stations have plenty of parking, but some are parking garages. The Metro web site has lots of info for trip planning...

https://www.wmata.com/index.cfm

The Greenbelt station has the most ground level parking. I often park my long Sprinter there when going into the city.

https://www.wmata.com/rider-guide/stations/greenbelt.cfm

Not sure how secure mass transit parking lots are here in Commiefornia. Always be cognizant of potential smash and grab. Used to be able to park the car and go for day hike. Not now without risk of vandalism. Friends daughter's car got driver's smashed and inside ransacked at a Bart station.
It seems that often mass transit lots are not in the best area of town.

Depending upon the length of time the public transportation is planned to be used, I would consider finding a more secure nearby parking lot and use Uber to get to the public transportation wanted. Walmart, hospital, or other lots come to mind.

That little bit of overhead may add a bunch more peace of mind and security.

:2cents: vic

autostaretx

Erratic Member
When we visited DC a few years ago (2013)... we flew in, but friends with a van drove in to play with us.

There are (at least for DC) find-parking websites that have maps (and frequently height-clearance info) of the lots around town.
Just Googling "parking washington dc" found the websites, many (most?) of which were independent of any "brand" of parking lot.

We managed to find locked underground parking with 9 feet of clearance (for one floor of the lot, the rest was 6.5') a few blocks inside of Q street, almost due north of the White House. It was priced competitively with "just plain cars" parking, and worked out well for the 5 days they were with us (they slept in the AirB&B apartment we had).

If you'll fit under 9 (or was it 8'?) feet, it could be an option (i'll try to re-find the lot's address)
added: it was at roughly 1447 P Street NW, directly across from the Whole Foods.
In this google map street view, it's the "tunnel" directly behind the guy striding towards the right.
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.909...4!1spK-OsoAHMnFjWEMqJPfzBg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

--dick
p.s. the websites also listed some locked surface lots, but two of them (when we visited) had been torn up for new building construction.

Last edited:

Top Bottom