South America

tiktaalik

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this forum and thought I'd introduce myself. I don't own a Sprinter yet but I am planning to buy one and build it out in the coming year. I'm currently in information gathering and research mode. My current adventure vehicle of choice is a 1984 Mercedes 300GD with 5-cylinder turbo diesel, safari roof and three fuel tanks.

I would love to hear from those of you who have taken your Sprinter down to Mexico and South America in terms of general practicalities. What considerations should be made when traveling with a Sprinter in this part of the world?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Visit www.ramblinglarder.com for (at least) one US-bought 2005 Sprinter's adventures down there.

Since the US Sprinters frequently have parts that the rest-of-world doesn't, they occasionally required "grey imports" from the US, even though MB has a Sprinter assembly plant in Argentina. They seemed to find the best service (i.e. mechanics who knew and could repair the Sprinter) in Chile.

--dick

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Any idea how do the newer bluetec engines handle the variety in diesel quality?
No *specific* idea, but i think a number of the folks "going south" have had their DPF (maybe) and DEF (certainly) systems disabled (reporgram ECU).

You'd hate to be XXXX km from nowhere and have the display say "10 starts left" :tongue:

--dick

Top Bottom