Full Size Parabolic Mirror

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I had already ordered the factory parabolics that mounted on top of the big mirrors and found that I use them more often than I did especially for the right side.

Then I saw this post...

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205

...and didn't even know MB produced the big mirror as a parabolic. Needless to say I wanted one because the big bottom mirror was useless to me.

I called multiple dealerships in my local area and the prices were a far cry from the stated $59.81. It was more like $97.41. :eek: I normally shop around for items locally and online, but for some reason, either the planets were not aligned or I was just feeling dumb that day :snore:, I just went for what the local dealers had. If I had shopped online at...

http://www.newmoparparts.com/mopar-parts.htm

...which was recommended here...

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213

...and typed in p/n: 5103760AA, I could've purchased the mirror for $57.34 +$7 shipping, no tax. I was not in a hurry and I still had to wait 5 days for the dealership to get it because it was a special, pay-now-in-person-at-the-dealership-because-we-don't-accept-credit-cards-over-the-phone, order. :thumbdown:

Anyways...
IMGP0003.JPG
...here's what I got when I went to the dealership to pick up my mirror.

IMGP0004.JPG
Back of mirror. Notice the electrical tabs for the heating element.

IMGP0005.JPG
Mirror side.

IMGP0012.JPG
Old mirror has to be positioned with the top all the way out so that it can be wiggled up and out.

IMGP0013.JPG
Don't forget to loop the heating element wires through the hook (red arrow) before installing new mirror. I almost forgot.

IMGP0015.JPG
Notice the line running down the mirror. I thought this would be distracting, but I can hardly see it from the driver's seat.

side2side.JPG
The old and the new side by side.

As you can see, I can see more of what is on the right side of the van. I was hoping that I would see as much or more than the small parabolic on top, but this is better than the stock non-parabolic.

:cheers:
Seek

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
Seek,

let me just say that this site is awesome!

The information and pictures really make it great

Cheers
George

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Update on the new parabolic mirror.

I highly recommend this mod. :thumbup: I can see the right side of the van and more of what's coming up on the next lane over. The only thing to get use to is the rightmost part of the mirror that is separated by the vertical black line. That part of the mirror is more convex than the area left of it.

Seek

MerlinB

Expediter
Hi All,
I ordered the big mirror from newmoparparts dot com on Dec 19th. It was shipped on the 26th and I received it yesterday (29th). Installation was a "piece of cake."
Mine does not have the vertical line like the one in Seek's photo. It will be a few days before I have a chance to drive with it but I think I am going to like it a lot.
Just a side note on the cost: the message I received advising it had been shipped stated the cost as $57.34 plus $8.50 for shipping; total $65.84.
The invoice and credit card receipt I received with the package shows the mirror cost as $43.84 plus $8.50 for shipping; total $52.34. An even better deal than I thought I was getting.:clapping:

Regards,

MerlinB

Expediter
I have now driven about 4000 miles, both day and night, since I installed the full size parabolic mirror and I do really like it. Between the full size mirror and the smaller, wider angle mirror on top you get very complete coverage of the dreaded right side "blind spot."
When you switch from the flat mirror to the parabolic you must remember "OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR" and drive accordingly. When passing another vehicle be sure you look hard and don't pull back in line until you are absolutely clear of the other vehicle. You can't go by the size of the image in the mirror until you get well adjusted to it---specially at night.

Regards,

I put the replacement glass on the right mirror on the 2003. I have not noticed any improvement at all. the mirrors need to be larger in the horizontal dimension for better visibility.

Douglas HIcks

chaozz

anyone ever mount a camera to the right side and run it off
the same monitor as the backup camera.
been thinking about that.

xtraworx

Master Craftsman
My cab over chassis Sprinter did not come with the wider angle mirror on top of the side mirrors. I've been using the fish-eye paste on things you can get at the auto parts store and the discounters. Found OEM top mounts on ebay and installed them today -- less than 5 minutes a piece.

I know this has been a discussion about a parabolic large mirror, but for those of you who don't have the top mounts, I can now recommend them -- much wider view than the fish-eyes.

Oh, and the instruction were in 6 languages -- even Australian! :smirk:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
My cab over chassis Sprinter did not come with the wider angle mirror on top of the side mirrors. I've been using the fish-eye paste on things you can get at the auto parts store and the discounters. Found OEM top mounts on ebay and installed them today -- less than 5 minutes a piece.

I know this has been a discussion about a parabolic large mirror, but for those of you who don't have the top mounts, I can now recommend them -- much wider view than the fish-eyes.

Oh, and the instruction were in 6 languages -- even Australian! :smirk:
That'll keep

Richard

Toyman

There are 2 mirrors listed under this P/N 5103760AA on the moparparts web site _ which do I need for an 06, with the small top mounted parabolics ??

Dave W

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Just pick one Dave. They're the same part number and only differ by the description and the catalog (oem vs collision).

If you're not sure, call them.

Seek

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
I know this is an older post, but I am the type that hates to make a new post when one is already made on the subject. I was wondering where I can order this mirror from. My local dealers want to sell me a whole new mirror assambly not just the glass. The link Seek gave is no longer valid.

Thanks in advance everyone.

elysium

I know this is an older post, but I am the type that hates to make a new post when one is already made on the subject. I was wondering where I can order this mirror from. My local dealers want to sell me a whole new mirror assambly not just the glass. The link Seek gave is no longer valid.
You can try http://www.dodgepartsonline.net/

If you search using part numbers, I see the passenger side curved glass for $61.92 + $11.95 (ups ground).

I've ordered parts from them before without issue (DodgePartsOnline.net is a division of Wyatt Arp Chrysler Dodge Jeep, Inc. in Texas).

Last edited:

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
I know this is an older post, but I am the type that hates to make a new post when one is already made on the subject.....
...And I'm the type who appreciates someone who can actually conceive the possibility that someone else may have already had the same issue, and can be "bothered" to use the search function:clapping: Thank you! Good, informative threads should be bumped from time to time:thumbup:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Is there a curved mirror glass for the driver side too? If so, anyone know the part number?
You could try ordering a passenger side glass from England?
(the name of the helpful UK parts source is not coming to mind)

--dick

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
I got my new mirror today. It has the line in it like other posted. But it works great. I love the view it gives. Thank you all for posting this great find and giving me updated links to the sellers of this product.

Top Bottom