Cross-Country driving

Nate

Hello all, I know many of you have driven across the country in your vans.

I plan on going from the North East to Yosemite national park in the spring and I'm looking for route suggestions for the way back or for must see destinations to visit.

So does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

Nate

Nate

It will probably be a solo drive to Yosemite where I'll spend 2 or 3 days there with my wife. We plan to do some hiking and camping.

The trip from Yosemite to CT is fairly flexible on the amount of time it can take. She would probably like to go to some National parks on the way back across. Flexible for us is probably 6 or 7 days to make the trip back.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I'm not sure if you been to some of these places, but I'll mention them...

If going the Northern Route to or from Yosemite, I would hit places like...

Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier, Devil's Tower, Rushmore.

If going the Southern Route to or from Yosemite, I would hit places like...

Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Moab, Bryce Canyon, Zion National Park.

Having 2 to 3 days drive to Yosemite doesn't give you much time to sight see in. :hmmm: The 6 to 7 days would probably be doable for the Northern Route. The drive from the Eastern side of Yellowstone to Cody is definitely worth it.

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
If by "camping and hiking" you include backpacking, here's a terrific hike in Yosemite.

Start from Tenaya Lake and hike over the top of Cloud's Rest and then hike to the top of Half Dome and then into the valley. I've always used three days for that trip, but someone younger could do it in two. You would have to use Yosemite shuttle buses to get back to your van at Tenaya Lake.

On the way home, there are many, many "must sees". They aren't all "doable" without spending a lot more time.

For a more or less direct route I suggest Grand Teton, Yellowstone, the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody, Wy, Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse, Gettysburg if you haven't been there.

On a southern route you could go to Zion National Park and the north rim of the grand canyon and Mesa Verde and the Great Sand Dunes NP, Dodge City, St Louis (for the arch).

glasseye

I'm not sure if you been to some of these places, but I'll mention them...

If going the Northern Route to or from Yosemite, I would hit places like...

Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier, Devil's Tower, Rushmore.

If going the Southern Route to or from Yosemite, I would hit places like...

Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Moab, Bryce Canyon, Zion National Park.

Having 2 to 3 days drive to Yosemite doesn't give you much time to sight see in. :hmmm: The 6 to 7 days would probably be doable for the Northern Route. The drive from the Eastern side of Yellowstone to Cody is definitely worth it.
Or, if you're smart, like sikwan, you'd do a circle route and catch 'em all. I wouldn't want to miss any of those fabulous locations. The higher elevation locations may be problematic if it's early spring. The North Rim of the Grand Canyon, for example, will be probably closed until late May.

Nate

Great info guys! Really apreciate it.:thumbup:

On the way out I'll be solo as my wife does not want to drive both ways.
I'll meet her at Yosemite and then probably take the northern route home as we have already been to the Grand Canyon, and Hoover dam.

I may do the hike that Bill mentions as one of the r4easons for going is to hike the half dome. Does anyone know when that opens up in the spring?

I hoped to go by Yellowstone and Rushmore so that stuff around there is great.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
If you're doing half-dome, hopefully you'll hit it off peak season and on the weekdays.

This was sent from a friend who did it on a weekend with his 9 year old.
trafficjam.JPG
Normally it takes around 30 minutes to go up. Because of the jam, it took him and his son longer and most of time he was holding on. A lot of energy was wasted here when he could've use it for the trip back down.

I haven't done it myself, but maybe one day...on a weekday. :smilewink:

Nate

Uh, wow. That is one heck of a line.

I think that the plan is to get there on thursday or friday. We may try and adjust the schedule after seeing that picture.

Thanks Sikwan.

Nate

If by "camping and hiking" you include backpacking, here's a terrific hike in Yosemite.

Start from Tenaya Lake and hike over the top of Cloud's Rest and then hike to the top of Half Dome and then into the valley. I've always used three days for that trip, but someone younger could do it in two. You would have to use Yosemite shuttle buses to get back to your van at Tenaya Lake.
Baywood Bill, Is there a trail name for this? We are quite interested in doing this while there. When you do it in 3 days when during that time do you hit the Half-Dome?

Thanks,
Nate

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
Hi Nate,

Truly, that line going up Half Dome is hideous. Definitely have to do it when school is out and not during Spring Break.

Here's a link to seasonal conditions in Yosemite National Park. As they say, the Valley is open all year round, it's the higher country that's problematic. Both times I did the hike I mentioned was in September. As for when things open up in the Spring depends on the snow pack.... there aren't snow plows on the trails. The starting point for the hike is Tenaya Lake and that's on the road that eventually goes over Tioga Pass. It would be good if that road were open when you leave to go east because it would save you quite a bit of driving.

Good luck.

Nate

Thanks for the link Bill.

What I meant on the timing was, when you leave the lake at what point of the 3 days do you reach the Half dome?

I've been reading quite abit about it and did see that there could be some issues regarding weather and when it would be possible to do it.

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
Thanks for the link Bill.

What I meant on the timing was, when you leave the lake at what point of the 3 days do you reach the Half dome?

I've been reading quite abit about it and did see that there could be some issues regarding weather and when it would be possible to do it.
Sorry Nate, I missed that request.

The first night we set up camp just before going over the top of Cloud's Rest. The second night we stopped at a little campground near the junction with the John Muir Trail and not far from the trail up Half Dome. The next day we went up Half Dome (we stashed our packs in the bushes along the trail leading to the Half Dome stairs and cable. That night we camped at Little Yosemite Campground and the next day we went down to the Valley Floor. It would not have been a great burden to have gone right on down to the Valley floor after going up and down Half Dome, but it would have been too late to go get the car.
You could go from Tenaya Lake all the way to the camp ground by the John Muir Trail the first day and then go up Half Dome on your second day.

Of course, you could leave your car on the Valley Floor and take a shuttle to Tenaya Lake instead of the other way around. It's good to get an early start on Half Dome because you can beat all of the day hikers who start from the Valley floor in an effort to get up and back all in one day. Some of them are most ill prepared.

You probably already know you need a wilderness permit to do any backpacking.

This is a link to an interactive map. When you look at it, it may still be enlarged and placed as I left it. You can see Tenaya Lake and a dashed line headed south from the lake. There's a branch to Sunrise Lakes -- that you don't take. Just keep heading south. At the start of the hike from Tenaya Lake you go level a ways and then come to nearly a cliff that the trail zig zags up for about a mile. At the top of this cliff, if you walk over to the right just a short distance, you can have a spectacular view.

On the map you can see where the trail goes over Cloud's Rest, which is sort of like a Stegasaurus's back; there is a drop off on both sides.

Any more questions? It's an unforgettable hike going that direction. I mean, it's unforgettable enough just going up the Half Dome Cables and standing on top of that thing, but to have come over Cloud's Rest before hand is the frosting on the cake.

Nate

Bill, Thanks again for the help with this.

I really apreciate it.

I am aware of the permits being required and needing to get those well in advance. My wife is also picking up a book.

Thanks again.

Nate

Since this thread has covered Yosemite I thought I would ask a question.

To any that have parked their van in the park, did you worry about bears if there was a grill or some other cooking device inside it?

Are bear attacks against cars something that happens?

Should I be concerned about any food stuffs left in the van?

Thanks

sikwan

06 Tin Can
To any that have parked their van in the park, did you worry about bears if there was a grill or some other cooking device inside it?

I've never parked overnight at a park with bears. I did for pigs.

I heard some ruckus outside and I thought it was neighbors making noise.
IMGP0049.JPG
Someone woke me up about the noise and we found this. Everything was up on the table. I guess it wasn't high or locked down enough.

Couldn't do much of anything because it was dark and cold.
IMGP0051.JPG
The next morning.

Ironically I had pork chops the night before the attack.
IMGP0024.JPG

All I can say is take the precautions to avoid it. I don't want pigs, much less bears, waking me up in the middle of the night tearing into the Sprinter for food. It's not worth it when prevention is so easy to do.

Oh btw, free weekends coming up for National parks...
  • June 20-21, 2009 (Father’s Day weekend)
  • July 18-19, 2009
  • August 15-16, 2009
http://www.nps.gov/findapark/feefreeparks.htm

List of parks...

http://www.nps.gov/findapark/feefreeparksbystate.htm

cedarsanctum

re: Member
Since this thread has covered Yosemite I thought I would ask a question.

Thanks
You shouldn't worry too much about the bears, they might look in at stuff, but they haven't figured out door handles yet.
They can open coolers left on the table, though the method they use often leaves the cooler useless.

Jef

maxextz

Rollin Rollin Rollin.....
wow:eek: you guys are so lucky living on turtle island id love to go to some of those places you all mention, id love to go to dakota and some day i will, and wounded knee yellowstone and crazy horse memorial in the black hills,an appropriate gesture to a great people"imo the other faces on there should have been blown off years ago and dont belong there" :wtf:

enjoy your trip and keep away from those bears.:shhh:

max.......

Attachments

Top Bottom