Bye Bye Gas and Diesel

I will say that although living out here in the west and enjoying road trips makes the model X not the rig for me. Tesla is doing some things right and I firmly believe the autopilot can change the way we deal with traffic and commuting.

lindenengineering

When you are at the super charging station the advertised rates are for only one car. Add 2 or 3 more Tesla’s and you can see MPH charge rate drop a significant amount. I want to say the one at the Budweiser event center when it was full I was seeing 20% of the normal rate. It was an hour and half to get enough charge to get the X home. Longer if I was going over 80% because Tesla backs down the electricity as the battery is charged.

The DIA super charger off of pena wasn’t as bad but it is only 4 cars vs the 8 at the Budweiser center.

I read somewhere an average American neighborhood with half the homes charging a Tesla during the summer would collapse the grid!!! It’s pretty vague on facts but something to think about for sure.
OK I agree with what you are referring to . That boiled down is utility company infrastructure, and investment .
The issue locally if we focus in on Denver is the local utility that has almost a monopoly and resistance up upgrade what it already has.
The spectre in all this is that if the population moves massively to electric car usage the system cannot cope.
The second is that if upgraded, and everyone uses electric cars in urban environments then car can potentially be used as a peak storage battery unit feeding the grid when you aren't using it.
That power source would be offset against your bill at peak rates credits. Then when the car is charged back at off peak rates there is a net gain to the car owner. Obviously the utility company stands make less of a profit, or not break even.
Its the ultimate corporate nightmare. It simply cannot fit into their current business & one built on tradition.
AND
If you haven't though that the utility company hasn't thought about all this then you would be wrong.
Dennis

steved57

Not sure if it's been mentioned but what do we do with the millions and millions more batteries that will need to be disposed of when no longer any good if electric vehicles took over ? Will they be recyclable or will there be tons more hazardous waste ?

lindenengineering

Well so far they get snapped up like hot cakes or they from part of a recycling program by the manufacturers.
The core credit on a Toyota Panasonic NimH traction battery is $1000.
Dennis

lindenengineering

For those of you interested in how some of these Hybrid electrical / mechanical systems work take a look at the Toyota Prius based transmissions found in Ford Fusion/ C Max , Lincoln MKZ, & Chrysler Pacifica.

We have a noisy C Max in the shop at the moment with bearing collapse because the fluid ran low & it overheated MG1 & MG2 stators.

As you can see, (I hope) Sprinter transmissions are old fashioned fruit "cake" to fix compared with the combination of Electric motors and mechanical gearing.
Enjoy the video if you are a resolved "resolver circuit minded" gear head like me !
Dennis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZf_BUuW5Qg&feature=youtu.be

When it can haul and tow uphill 3000 lbs. the same distance or greater than my current ICE van in the same amount of time, I’ll gladly trade. I don’t see that happening anytime soon.

lindenengineering

Well to respond to that in a light hearted manner I did see a newspaper cutting of about 1903 era and Vauxhaul 3hp two seater tourer.

The comment was that two dray Clydesdales and 3 ton of beer in barrels would easily out perform the Vauxhall on pulling loads up a grade.

Of course things move on and by 1914 the ICE truck would easily out perform the horse on the battlefield! By 1917 British Tommies were scrounging the Manhattan LIBERTY truck from the American forces to do heavy hauling in the Flanders mud.
Nicknamed the Bulldog Truck by British soldiers my grandfather stated it was an ugly bastard but it would do work that even heavy horses couldn't accomplish.
Its called progress, so just hold your horses for a while until a new electric Bulldog appears on the scene. (As it surely will)
The Manhattan by the way became the MACK truck in honor of British soldiers fond enthusiasm for the brand.
Dennis

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ima...CQ#imgrc=FIj0ONz4YrRf_M&imgdii=3yakqfEsDQaGpM

Dennis

OffroadHamster

Tesla Cybertruck - 2021 - 400+ mile range, 11K lb towing.

If it is half the car my Model 3 Performance is, Ill be buying one and an off road trailer, selling the van, setting it on Autopilot and having a way more relaxing vacation.

Best car Ive ever owned. 38K miles, charge for free at work, tires and wiper fluid are the extent of maintenance costs. 0-60 in 3 seconds flat. Can cover 200 miles and charge from the resulting 15% state of charge back to 85% in the time it takes me to stretch, pee and grab a snack. Rinse and repeat. Takes me 18 minutes longer to drive the 340 miles to Mammoth Lakes than it does in my Van.

The Future has been here for a while. Its fabulous, its fast, and it is quiet. If I didnt have free charging at work, the 7.5kw solar system on my roof would power my house and 18,000 miles of driving my Tesla like a jackass a year.

SOCAL2015

Nice pic (If I may ask, what rims are you using on your M3P? They look great - 18”?). Completely agree with you - I also have a Tesla Model 3 performance. Best car I have owned as well (had 3 and 5 series BMW’s, several C class and E class Mercs). Our old IS 300 was a real gem with regards to reliability.
I have a deposit on the tri-motor Cyber Truck. 500 mile range will probably equal 350 real mile range on Highway (not EPA) which is plenty. Hard to go back to gas and can’t see myself getting another ICE.
Come on Elon and Merc, build us a proper electric Sprinter with decent range and I would buy it. The all electric Semi truck would also make a great RV conversion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 50714

Although not as prestigious and performing as a Tesla, I enjoy my Nissan Leaf, had it 7-years, used, 23,000 mikes, paid cash. Only expense, R&R chassis battery, not to be confused with traction battery which, is getting tired but still gets us around. Maintenance; air tires, windshield fluid. Only used for local errands which, eliminates the necessity of warming-up an infernal ICE for a short trip to the store.

Researched traction battery R&R, doesn't seem insurmountable. The only road block is registering the damn battery with their stupid diagnostic equipment. I'll run it until it quits and certainly buy another.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
BoB - I have a 2109 Chevy Bolt and use it like you use your Leaf. Great solution for a city/suburb car.

- - Mike

MobileCC

Tesla Cybertruck - 2021 - 400+ mile range, 11K lb towing.

If it is half the car my Model 3 Performance is, Ill be buying one and an off road trailer, selling the van, setting it on Autopilot and having a way more relaxing vacation.

Best car Ive ever owned. 38K miles, charge for free at work, tires and wiper fluid are the extent of maintenance costs. 0-60 in 3 seconds flat. Can cover 200 miles and charge from the resulting 15% state of charge back to 85% in the time it takes me to stretch, pee and grab a snack. Rinse and repeat. Takes me 18 minutes longer to drive the 340 miles to Mammoth Lakes than it does in my Van.

The Future has been here for a while. Its fabulous, its fast, and it is quiet. If I didnt have free charging at work, the 7.5kw solar system on my roof would power my house and 18,000 miles of driving my Tesla like a jackass a year.

I cant say enough good things about the model 3 yea it has a few problems ..but it changes the way you feel about driving enough said..i will never purchase a gas or diesel again ..ever it changes me for good .. i will be selling my van soon ..you guys can continue to support mercedes Super Bowl ads ..meanwhile Elon hasn’t spent a dime on advertising ..that alone should tell you what kind of person Elon is

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 104427

For what it is worth. I'm still looking for the late-night trash driverless trucks picking up cans along the streets. I have not seen the NEW ELECTRICAL CHARGING LANES along the American highways to exit the main roadways, pay a toll and get charged after driving 500-Miles as I do with in a GAS Vehicle. Have not seen them new Solar Electoral Parking lot parking lots. YES, I have seen them POLL STATIONS. I'm referring to Solar parking lots. Where you just park and car is charged via the pad you're parked on with NO cords/wires attached to the vehicle.

So far in our evaluation of solar, I've seen nothing that can turn a vehicle around as fast as GAS can.

Now that said, I have NOT seen electrical collection stations that dispense power to vehicles like it appears to only be coming from power plants. MEANING GAS, COAL, WOOD, some solar spots.

I feel we're still a ways off from the "TRUE electrical VEHICLES"

To get there we need to drive 500-MILES with less than 15-minute Charging time.

Let us go to MARS, so we can fix stuff as we did with the first space program. Microwave, tinfoil and so much more stuff.

D

Deleted member 50714

For what it is worth. I'm still looking for the late-night trash driverless trucks picking up cans along the streets. I have not seen the NEW ELECTRICAL CHARGING LANES along the American highways to exit the main roadways, pay a toll and get charged after driving 500-Miles as I do with in a GAS Vehicle. Have not seen them new Solar Electoral Parking lot parking lots. YES, I have seen them POLL STATIONS. I'm referring to Solar parking lots. Where you just park and car is charged via the pad you're parked on with NO cords/wires attached to the vehicle.

So far in our evaluation of solar, I've seen nothing that can turn a vehicle around as fast as GAS can.

Now that said, I have NOT seen electrical collection stations that dispense power to vehicles like it appears to only be coming from power plants. MEANING GAS, COAL, WOOD, some solar spots.

I feel we're still a ways off from the "TRUE electrical VEHICLES"

To get there we need to drive 500-MILES with less than 15-minute Charging time.

Let us go to MARS, so we can fix stuff as we did with the first space program. Microwave, tinfoil and so much more stuff.

Hate to break the bad news to ya, but present standard of living cannot be sustained indefinitely. The fundamental flaw of capitalism, not possible to sustain infinite growth with finite resources.

Especially with buffoons like this in government.

davisdave

2005 140 tall passenger
if you have a sprinter already, you would be better off just driving that to town to save the planet?

$27000 electric car/$3.30 per gallon = 8000 gal of dino juice. 8000 x 15mpg = 120,000 miles. That would be a lot of miles around town, no? I guess the electric car would move the pollution else ware, so its all good:cheers:

I have electric bicycles. I pick up the kids from school and roll to the park on an electric cargo bike. I dont kid myself that i have reduced my emissions. Them bikes/motors/batteries are super expensive and i will never recover the cost (emissions) from using them. Fun...yes!

If i ONLY had an electric bike and lived a small world monk-like existence, well that would be "progress":tongue:

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
if you have a sprinter already, you would be better off just driving that to town to save the planet?

$27000 electric car/$3.30 per gallon = 8000 gal of dino juice. 8000 x 15mpg = 120,000 miles. That would be a lot of miles around town, no? I guess the electric car would move the pollution else ware, so its all good:cheers:

I have electric bicycles. I pick up the kids from school and roll to the park on an electric cargo bike. I dont kid myself that i have reduced my emissions. Them bikes/motors/batteries are super expensive and i will never recover the cost (emissions) from using them. Fun...yes!

If i ONLY had an electric bike and lived a small world monk-like existence, well that would be "progress":tongue:
Gawd. Is it really that hard to understand the difference between necessity and sufficiency? This constant repetition of "the energy came from coal" is just ridiculous. Nobody with any sense believes that electric cars are sufficient to solve the carbon problem. But they ARE necessary--one important piece of the puzzle. We are making good progress on renewable energy, but it is a hard problem and takes time to solve. When we do, we will be lucky that we had the foresight to develop the technology and infrastructure to use the clean energy where we need it. Everybody who buys and drives an electric car is contribution to the solution. People who keep driving their diesels beyond their natural lifetime are not, no matter how much carbon they save by doing so.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 50714

Not interested in "Saving the planet" leave that for youngsters.

First, didn't pay 27,000, paid 15,000.

Second, I keep my autos as long as possible and no desire to assume and service unnecessary debt to impress others I do know, with prestigious and expensive automobiles I don't need. My vehicle purchases are based on utility not prestige.

Third, I do agree that it moves to pollution to else ware [sic] which is just fine with me, gotta go somewhere. Not sorry.

Fourth, was the consumption of diesel fuel to transport and deliver fuel to gas to the nations approximately 155,000 gas stations included you calculations???

How about the fuel for all truckers to commute to work? in addition, employees related to fuel delivery? Such as the legions of commuting workers required to manufacture and service the national fleet of Dino delivery trucks?

This, in addition to all of the passenger vehicle repair facilities.

I understand each drill rig employs about 1,000 people, more dino fuel consumers.

IMHO, you calculations may be a bit flawed. Dunno.

So, you polluted the planet with more carbon producing consumers. Thanks a lot most selfish one. More CONSUMERS is the last thing MOTHER EARTH needs.

Monk-like existence coming sooner than you may realize.

Double :tongue: back at ya.

D

Deleted member 50714

Oh yeah, electric bicycles??? Sounds kinda oxymoron, no? I will be 62 soon and ride my bicycle daily and see no need for an electric bicycle. Just more to maintain. Jettison the ebike and improve your health.

:hugs:

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Oh yeah, electric bicycles??? Sounds kinda oxymoron, no? I will be 62 soon and ride my bicycle daily and see no need for an electric bicycle. Just more to maintain. Jettison the ebike and improve your health.

:hugs:
I bought a 250 watt foldable bike that fits inside the van across the back at the rear doors. Cheap $600 Taiwan built bike that seems to be high quality. Works very well to keep a 81 year old riding a bike. I am impressed with the bike and what it allows me to do. Can climb hills that would be impossible without the assist.

Top Bottom