DPF CAUSES AND ACTIONS.

• Thread starter Deleted member 50714
  • Start date

Winterbagoal

2018 Winnebago Navion 24V on a 2017 Cab Chassis
What's "Full-Load Operation"? No regen required because of engine/vehicle speed or highway style performance? No build up of particulate on filter, for same reason?

D

Deleted member 50714

What's "Full-Load Operation"? No regen required because of engine/vehicle speed or highway style performance? No build up of particulate on filter, for same reason?
Good question. As far as I can ascertain, Sprinter's do not passively regenerate.

lindenengineering

Bob
I swear you are menace', well intentioned menace perhaps but a menace nonetheless..
(I sincerely hope folks like you didn't have anything to do with this Boeing fiasco.):laughing:

The system DOES passively re-generate as it does on all all diesel light duty vehicles.

For reference go back to the bulletin Sprintguy has given you and published this thread theorem of yours .

Your attention is drawn to the last page and requirements to auto regenerate.
So in short if its got faults it will not regenerate.

Cheers Dennis

D

Deleted member 50714

Bob
I swear you are menace', well intentioned menace perhaps but a menace nonetheless..
(I sincerely hope folks like you didn't have anything to do with this Boeing fiasco.):laughing:

The system DOES passively re-generate as it does on all all diesel light duty vehicles.

For reference go back to the bulletin Sprintguy has given you and published this thread theorem of yours .

Your attention is drawn to the last page and requirements to auto regenerate.
So in short if its got faults it will not regenerate.

Cheers Dennis
Is this the section to which you refer Master Po...er...Poopoo? :smirk:

"In the full-load range, secondary injection is not active, as the normal exhaust gas temperatures are sufficient to achieve the PM burn off temperature in the DPF in this case. The arising ash remains in the DPF. The temperature sensor upstream of the CAT and the temperature sensor upstream of the DPF monitor the exhaust gas temperature during regeneration. The differential pressure sensor determines the pressure difference between the exhaust pressure upstream and downstream of the DPF via the exhaust pressure lines. Soot particle loading in the DPF is determined via a performance map based on the pressure differential and the mass exhaust gas flow calculated by the CDI control unit.
The following key data of the last DPF regeneration are stored in the engine management memory for diagnostic purposes:"

In addition of not knowing if the source of info provided by Sprint guy is a righteous MB training publication, still not certain.

For example, please define "Full load conditions" that raise DPF temperature to "...approx. 700 °C (1292°F)" required for regeneration or, more accurately, particulant matter (PM) burn-off?

My EXPERIENCE, observing DPF temperatures via Scan Gauge II, have never witnessed "load conditions" (6% grade on Interstate 5 Grapevine, CA) have any effect increasing DPF temperatures any where near 1292°F.

And...if I am wrong, always remember this.

People make mistakes or overlook things--its human nature
Dennis
Ciao,

Grasshopper

Last edited by a moderator:

Winterbagoal

I asked because my SGII hasn't detected a DPF Regen for thousands of miles, as indicated by my "DST" X-Gauge. Likewise, I typically monitor "DPF" (Regen on/off), and oil/water/transmission fluid temps, and last year when driving (when it was still almost brand new) I'd occasionally catch a regen in progress while sailing down the freeways, and noted the elevated temps of the oil and water corresponding in part, I suspected, to the increased exhaust temps required to do the regens. Now I rarely see those temps any more, whether the DPF Regen on/off X-Gauge tells me there's one in progress or not. It hasn't seen a regen since last year sometime and maybe 10,000 + miles of travel. I'll also say (knock on wood) that I haven't seen any fault codes or CELs on this thing, except one to do with excessive curb roll very early on. It was an ESP error code or something that cleared on it's own. It still drives like it did when we first got it, performance-wise.
So, does the dpf regeneration happen while I'm driving, primarily on the highway at 65mph (average)? My Sprinter based Navion doesn't see much lengthy idling, nor city driving, it's almost all highway driving when we're on our way to wherever for a vacation.

D

Deleted member 50714

There's an X Gauge "EUP", i.e. Exhaust temperature upstream of DPF. That is what alerted me to a regeneration. I could not get X gauge "Regn" (on/off ) to function.

My experience, interrupting a regeneration three times will throw a CEL and log code P2459. It can take 100+ Highway miles for the CEL to clear and 40 key cycles for the code to clear.

Winterbagoal

There's an X Gauge "EUP", i.e. Exhaust temperature upstream of DPF. That is what alerted me to a regeneration. I could not get X gauge "Regn" (on/off ) to function.

My experience, interrupting a regeneration three times will throw a CEL and log code P2459. It can take 100+ Highway miles for the CEL to clear and 40 key cycles for the code to clear.
I just checked both the X-Gauge coding sheets I have ("2014+ Mercedes Sprinter 3.0L Diesel" and "2015 Sprinter 3500 Chassis") - there's some differences in the naming convention of the various X-Gauges, and I now understand I'll need to redo them. I used the "2015" coding sheet from the iRV2 forum discussion including comments by GChapell and James DeLong, downloaded to enter my custom gauges, and the 2014+ sheet has the same codings mentioned, but with different identification names. Neither has the "EUP" XGauge identifier included, but both have the "DPF" identifier used for the Exhaust Temp Upstream of Particulate Filter, that you mention.
Both sheets have the XGauge "DPF" identifier used for 2 different codings. I recall at the time, I think I used the coding for the particulate filter load %, instead of the coding for the upstream exhaust temperature from the filter "EUP". I never bothered to follow up on it because the "RGN" and "DST" XGauges both worked for me. Now they don't seem to work. I recently had a recall ECU flashing done at the dealer # 2018010004. I wonder if that porked some of my XGauges? My 3 temperature XGauges TfT, fWT, and EOT still seem to work.
- Which version of the Sprinter XGauges codings did you use? My DST and RGN gauges did work for a while.
- Is there a newer definitive XGauges for 2014-present Sprinter 3.0L 3500 chassis?
- As stated, I've never had any CEL codes thrown for anything to do with the DPF/REGEN process. At least that I've noticed in 21,000 miles of driving.

- Just checked Linear Logic's Scangauge II Xgauges and they've changed. They're now listed as 2011+ Mercedes Sprinter 3.0L Diesel. On their "new" list of Xgauges, your "EUP" gauge is listed as "DPF". On the 2015 list I have from iRV2, particulate filter load is listed as "DPF" and on the LLSGII "new" list it's "PFL". WTF?
Seems we have some inconsistencies of Xgauge Identifier names across the various flavors of coding sheets/locations.
I guess I'll try to recode some of the ones that aren't working, to see if that corrects them, and will rename the ones I have with duplicate names to unique names of my personal preference, when coding them. I'll probably use the LL Scangauge II 2011+ list names, as my base list.
Oh my....

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 50714

I tried looking for the version I used but couldn't find them.

Winterbagoal

I tried looking for the version I used but couldn't find them.
No problem. I'll probably try the codings for the ones from the LL website, "2011+ Mercedes Sprinter" or whatever they titled it.
When I get a chance.

At a glance, most of the 2011 codings look identical to the "2015 + Sprinter" versions I used that I downloaded from the website, that were part of the discussion thread including a PDF file and comments by GChapell and JDeLong of LL, last year. I had to get my old SGII flashed to 4.22 + for them to work. Theoretically, of course.:hmmm:

Winterbagoal

Thanks. I'll try to see if the "2011+ Mercedes Sprinter 3.0L Diesel" codes work. When I get to it.
As for the RGN gauge, it worked for a while last year, then I had an (early) Service A done back in January before we set out on a long trip. While they were changing the oil, they applied a pending recall 2018010004 to my ECU, and the DST and RGN gauges don't seem to work any more, so I was thinking maybe the reflash did something to disable them.

It might just be a case of finding them in my X-gauge list and recoding/re-entering them. When I get around to it, I'll update this thread.

Winterbagoal

I recoded/reentered/renamed/saved several of my X-Gauges, DPF, EUP, RGN, and DST with the parameters from the 2011 MB Sprinter section of the LL website. I noticed most of them are identical to the 2015+ GChappell/JDeLong parms. Alas, no change, DST still doesn't increment, RGN ON/OFF doesn't ever change, and the EUP is a mildly fluctuating decimal number near 6.0.
I think the DPF (Particulate Filter Load on my SGII) number is around 50 which is a percent, so it may be accurate. I don't know.
Overall, the gauges that worked prior to applying MB recall 2018010004 (ECU reflash) no longer seem to work.
I may try reloading some of the ones I got from the 2015+ pdf file, but most of them are the same as the ones I just refreshed.

Winterbagoal

You were able to get this feature to work?
These are the parms for the RGN X-Gauge from the GChappell/JDeLong list
Regen Status (On/Off) 07E02220A5 C32320000000 2F01 000100010000 RGN
4.22+
Required

I used these last year when I first added the Sprinter specific X-Gauges.
As previously stated, it worked for a while, and with corresponding observed EOT and fWT temperature increases, during the regens.
Maybe I'll try your parms.

jwright9541

Have any of you who seem to be knowledgeable about the operation of the DPF system ever run across a flow chart that depicts the interaction between the various components if the system? I would be willing to bet the MB engineers have such a flow chart as it would be a valuable tool for conceptualizing how the on board ECU/ECM is connected to the various pressure and temperature sensors and the DPF, and how it activates the DEF reservoir to initiate a regeneration cycle. I am looking to buy a used Sprinter and have realized that the DEF system is an Achilles heel that one should understand. I find that I cannot understand complex systems such as this unless I can draw a flow chart that makes clear what happens as various components and detectors communicate, or fail.

220817a

Independent & Self Reliant - From Chattanooga TN
Have any of you who seem to be knowledgeable about the operation of the DPF system ever run across a flow chart that depicts the interaction between the various components if the system? I would be willing to bet the MB engineers have such a flow chart as it would be a valuable tool for conceptualizing how the on board ECU/ECM is connected to the various pressure and temperature sensors and the DPF, and how it activates the DEF reservoir to initiate a regeneration cycle. I am looking to buy a used Sprinter and have realized that the DEF system is an Achilles heel that one should understand. I find that I cannot understand complex systems such as this unless I can draw a flow chart that makes clear what happens as various components and detectors communicate, or fail.
DPF and DEF are completely independent systems. The injection of DEF happens practically all the time and it is controlled by the slave DEF control module. The DPF regeneration happens periodically and it is controlled and triggered by the ECU... Didn't quite understand what you meant by "and how it activates the DEF reservoir to initiate a regeneration cycle"... I think you are misunderstanding it a bit.

jwright9541

DPF and DEF are completely independent systems. The injection of DEF happens practically all the time and it is controlled by the slave DEF control module. The DPF regeneration happens periodically and it is controlled and triggered by the ECU... Didn't quite understand what you meant by "and how it activates the DEF reservoir to initiate a regeneration cycle"... I think you are misunderstanding it a bit.
Thanks Dima74, I see now that the DEF system injects the fluid downstream of the DPF. I had thought it was part of the soot removal process, I see now that its purpose is for breaking down NOx. But this illustrates my purpose in asking my question: Does anyone have a good flow chart that shows how all these systems and the various sensors interact (or do not interact)? Having such a visual aid would make discussing these complex systems far more easy to follow.

jwright9541

Here are a couple of nice illustrations of the Sprinter pollution control system that I think makes it easier to at least visualize the components, if not the logic of how re-generation cycles for the DPF or injection of AdBlue fluid, which I think happens somewhere between the DPF and the SCR-Selective Catalytic Reduction Catalytic Reduction Filters. The illustration called "DPF-filter-sensor-details (1) shows locations and names of the various sensors. This gives me some idea of how failure of these sensors could lead to the system not functioning properly, and are perhaps hard to diagnose. At least, I have been seeing some complaints that sometimes mechanics are not always successful in fixing a malfunctioning DPF system.

Attachments

Top Bottom