270 doors

126v8

My doors don’t open 270 degrees
Is it just the hinges that allow them to open wide?
Where can I get them to buy?
Thanks

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
Thanks
Daimler changed the rear door hinge design on the new VS30 Sprinters. The 270 deg hinges are now a $340 option
W54 Rear Doors, Opening to Side Wall

Info from 2019 Equipment Book attached. . .

Attachments

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I note that the option book entry says no magnetic bumper ... i must admit i'd still put in a "plain" rubber bumper to handle a wind-blown door.

--dick

Boxster1971

I note that the option book entry says no magnetic bumper ... i must admit i'd still put in a "plain" rubber bumper to handle a wind-blown door.

--dick
The new hinge has a stop built into the hinge itself. I saw one on an Airstream Interstate Nineteen at Hershey RV show last week. Airstream added an extra block of steel to the passenger side lower hinge to prevent the passenger side rear door from hitting the slider on that 144" WB short Sprinter.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
It will cost abooot $750 - $1,000 to replace the existing with the 270 hinges from the dealer, painted and installed.

GLJones

I ordered them becuase we are on loading docks all the time. I also don't understand why these are not just standard. They cannot cost much more than the regular parts, especially in large quantities.

drbutton

Thanks
I noted the 270 degree opening doors were optional on the DOG, which surprised me. I agree with other writers that Daimler has made several items on the VS30 Sprinter "mules" optional to lower the cost of the base van to a competitive level. The "other guys" throw that stuff into their cheapest white bare-bones fleet vans. And unlike some carmakers, with Daimler there are fewer intuitive "packages" designed to incorporate a variety of upscale options that make sense to buyers (i.e. you'd think a power sliding door always goes with power retracting step...and they DON'T).

As with so many other things on a vehicle, aftermarket upgrades are painful and expensive (sound-system upgrades, LED headlights, 120V plugs, etc.). If you miss something on the complex and cryptic DOG, you'd better hope its not something critical to you. Buyer beware.:cry:

Last edited:

Boxster1971

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
Hi, any sane way to have a rear ladder with the W54 hinges?
Swap one door's hinges with standard ones??

Also, without the 270 hinges, how well do the doors stay open when parked? Will a moderate wind slam them closed?

Thanks!

72chevy4x4

they don't feel secure at 90 degrees with wind. they also don't fold as flat and neat as the old ncv3 hinges, which will be a bit more difficult when backing into a dock.

Onefin

Thanks
All the Owl Vans Tire and Gear carriers require the 180 degree hinges.
Tons of their customers swapping their 270 for 180 Hinges.
I would think a “wanted” ad on sprinter-source and the Facebook groups would get you the 270 hinges you want.
With enough patience you can likely get them in your van color.

I would think $100-$150 a pair would be FMV on take off 270 hinges.

hilld

I am wondering if you can do 180* hinges on the door that gets the ladder and the 270* hinges on the other door. I just put down a deposit on a 170 (non ext) sitting on a dealer lot, but it doesn't have the W54 option. I thought I would want that, but after reading some of the comments about ladders, I am thinking I might want to go mixed. The primary door (won't have a ladder) and could perhaps get the 270* hinges, while the ladder door gets the 180* hinge. Am I weird for thinking this?

Top Bottom