Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Write-Ups

Old 09-19-2017, 04:00 AM   #11
slamit
www.cacampervan.com

Default Re: MOAB Adventure Wagon Bed Install and short review

I think the way it attaches if fine with the way the load is. The plus nuts I think will interfere with the hidden sheet metal wall that you put the riv-nuts in. I would move that mount/l track a few mm to the rear to avoid this wall...just a few mm should clear it otherwise its a super close fit. You could instead use a riv-nut instead of the rivets they use for the rear L track. I am not a big fan of the rivets, but they make the install really easy for sure.

I was invited to do the clinic but way to busy to spend the weekend on short notice to do so but installing these type of components isn't much of an issue for me to begin with...one of the easier things I have done for sure.
slamit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slamit For This Useful Post:
Dhan (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 07:05 PM   #12
Dhan

I put a deposit on the MOAB and awaiting its arrival, but just realized that the windows (Hehr 10x36) that I'm getting ready to install may interfere with the rear vertical L-track for the bed. Do you recall what the distance of the rear L-track mounting points are from the rear doors?
Dhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:02 AM   #13
Dhan

Unfortunately, the mounting system/bracer for the MOAB interferes with the sliding windows on a 170, so it's the bed or the windows! I guess I'll be looking for a new bed system.
Dhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:12 AM   #14
julie777
Julie

Very interesting looking. Thanks for the review.

I spent some time looking at the Adventure Wagon web site and videos. I am still left with questions.
What do they mean when they talk about reinforcement?
Is it for the rear vertical L track?
Is there a backing plate behind the L track?
The horizontal rail looks like they have welded supports to L track.
It the horizontal L track actually used as L track?
Is the horizontal rail supported just by the two tabs on each one?
Old 09-30-2017, 02:44 PM   #15
slamit
www.cacampervan.com

Julie...I would contact the manufacture. They are best to answer your questions. You just cant usually "bolt" stuff in a van just like you can't generally bolt stuff into your house walls. Depending on what you are mounting you may or may not have to reinforce the wall. This is why many builders state "mount to existing sheet metal" only. General reinforcement for L track usually requires welding when dealing with van sheet metal. Now for "light duty" use like bikes and such, this is fine. Heavy items like motor bikes and sleds...totally different story. The kit supplied (bed only kit) has the needed support for the bed and light duty use. When I do custom beds that are different I reinforce with 3/16th steel welded in, then I bolt to that. This bed however doesn't do that as it's "DIY" engineered for ease of installation and light duty. Fine for a bed within their weight specifications.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:58 PM   #16
michaeldorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamit View Post
Bed Review for those thinking about a MOAB Adventure Wagon Bed

Just finished the install of this bed in a recent build for a customer. I was able to get a bed on the 2nd run they did so I thought I could give a non biased review that might help others as I haven't found much on this bed since they are so new. Quality is nice. Installation is straight forward but some special tools are needed: Riv Nut Tool, Rivet Tool, nice bits, sheet metal bit, hole punch...

It works just as the video on their website suggest. The quality fit and finish is nice. Yes it's expensive, but it is not mass produced and the quality is superior to any other adjustable bed and it does exactly as they promise. Fit and finish is excellent which makes installation much easier. No "massaging" was needed for the install however there are a few pitfalls if you are not careful so I would not recommend the install to someone who is not very familiar with tools, riv nuts, and precise drilling and measuring. The height can be adjusted within the L track height, but to truly get a nice system you need 4 rails so you don't deal with bolts.

Install time is about 3-5 hours depending on skill level not including any wall panels. This was the first one I have installed so it took me about 4 hours from start to finish including set up and clean up not including wall panels that I had to cut. I did have all the tools and a very good knowledge in how to use them so this could take a day for someone whom is a novice. On a 1-5 difficulty its a 3.5; actually its easier than that, but if you mess up your holes you can be in a bit of a mess (really screw up the install) so I give it a .5 higher. DIY-A-BLE for sure for those who are used to dealing with tools and working on cars beyond an oil change. Take your time follow exactly how AW suggest installing in the sequence they suggest. Use the right tools is a must. Its unlikely you would have some of the special tools; but they would not likely exceed $100-150 for average quality ones.

I would recommend this bed for sure if you need an adjustable bed and can afford the premium. Premium price however comes with premium quality. (I am not the manufacture, but I see a lot of beds so this is my honest opinion)

Some pics for those thinking about this bed. Hopefully AW can reduce the lead time and get these in stock; the most frustrating part was the long lead time and the heavy deposit to wait for the bed. Its a semi custom product not massed produced, I am sure this will change in the future, I know they are working on it.

Rating:

Quality: 9
Ease of Installation: 7 (No welding involved, Semi Skilled DIY Focused)
Functionality: 9 (I haven't seen anything that works THIS smooth that is adjustable on the market)
Value: 7 (Hey it's a bit pricey; but when you gotta have this feature, you gotta have it...add a mattress and it gets really expensive compared to other options like building your own or a fixed bed)
Engineering: 8.5 (Only suggestion is they could make the attachment stronger...but that requires welding and is beyond most DIY, this is one of the best "bolt on" solutions going currently and is by far the cleanest engineered beds in the market)

Hope this helps if you are thinking about this bed. You will not be disappointed. I had good support as well from AW once my order was in place for the install. I think they will have a video for those who purchase a bed to help in the installation for DIYer's.
How's the bed holding up? Does it rattle at all?
Old 10-11-2017, 02:29 PM   #17
mtbboy2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhan View Post
Unfortunately, the mounting system/bracer for the MOAB interferes with the sliding windows on a 170, so it's the bed or the windows! I guess I'll be looking for a new bed system.
Was thinking that same set up, windows and this bed? What was the reason that the bed interfered with the windows? I have a 170 4x4. Just curious, tx, I have not put the windows in yet.

tx
mtbboy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:33 PM   #18
slamit
www.cacampervan.com

So far customer has not said anything about noise...they address this with felt lining on the contact points. Have no idea about windows...you will need to contact them for technical questions. This install had no windows but I think they might interfere with the rear support bar depending on window...did not take those measurements to check clearance. Would be easy to check.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:58 PM   #19
Tower4pe

Slamit: Who did your ceiling?
Tower4pe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:53 PM   #20
pdxkid
2004 118" High Roof Pass.

@Tower4pe it looks like slamit is a professional van converter so he likely did it himself. www.cacampervan.com
2004 Dodge Sprinter 118" Wheelbase High Roof Passenger Van in Black. Bilstein 5100 F&R. Camper conversion by Basecamper Vans in SLC. 80,000 miles and counting. SOLD! SOLD! SOLD! Looking for a new van now. I foresee a Transit in our future.
pdxkid is offline   Reply With Quote