Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Advanced RV

Old 05-29-2019, 03:40 PM   #61
MobileCabin

Default Re: Is Advanced-RV now offering the shorter 2500 Sprinter 144" wheelbase?

David,

You mentioned.."I have a detailed spreadsheet list of everything they install with actual or estimated weights".. Without giving away too much detail, are there any items that account for over 25 percent of mass? Are the filled fresh water and the waste tanks the big culprits? I sometimes think that it would be helpful to have access to the early design memos for the lunar lander to get a feel for how a start from the beginning with weight minimization in mind for a "class B space van". Maybe there is something that the van manufacturers might be able to not install or replace with different version on the assembly line if an upfitter or group of upfitters could figure out that it would result in a lower total and be significant to the point that all upfitters would want that option.

Pat
MobileCabin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:36 PM   #62
Davydd

Default Re: Is Advanced-RV now offering the shorter 2500 Sprinter 144" wheelbase?

Curb weight is the turned over weight built by the upfitter. The van a 144 2WD 2500 Cargo Van as delivered from Mercedes Benz is 5,016 lbs. Assumed in that is a full tank of diesel. The upfitter improvements are 2,351 lbs. or a delivered weight of 7,367 lbs. which is 33 lbs. under the allowable curb weight of 7,400 lbs. The van's GWVR rating is 9,050 lbs. leaving me 1,683 lbs. to be able to add. Water is one and I think I will end up with a 36 gallon freshwater tank so the added weight will be about 288 lbs. Grey and black will be a trade off with use with the freshwater for the most part so doesn't add to the total. I will have about 26 gallons of grey and 12-15 gallons of black. We can only carry the two of us. So I will say that will not go over 350 lbs. In our last trip I think we had less than 300 lbs. of clothes, food, blankets, containers and equipment, etc. That leaves me 745 lbs. under the GWVR weight. After delivery I could safely add such things as VB Air Suspension, EP levelers and front bull bars. I could have built with a 2018 Sprinter with less GWVR but wouldn't have the luxury of adding those goodies if I wanted.

It is not a matter of eliminating anything and I got everything I designed into it. The van is what it is and nothing can be done to deliver less than 5,016 lbs. especially in a bare bones cargo van and the curb weight is 7,400 lbs. whether it is a heavier 4x4 or a SuperSingle which would boost the GWVR to 9,900 lbs. I have ordered the heavier reinforced front axle which boost the front axle weight carrying capacity but doesn't boost the total GWVR. That's the way I understand it.

This is interesting. The total 828ah Lithium battery assembly is 425 lbs. I couldn't get 1/3 the ah capacity of lithiums in AGM batteries and stay under the curb weight.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 01:59 PM   #63
Davydd

Advanced RV informed me the color I chose is no longer available. I went online and saw they had reduced their color choices in the build your own. So I changed to the premium color Iridium Silver which my wife liked better and was my second choice. Stubbornly, I had a silver van already (GWVan Legend) and didn't want to repeat a color choice. I learned two things -- delivery will be in October and to the end of the year production will be 2019 model year by MB.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:27 AM   #64
Boxster1971
2012 Sprinter 3500 Ext

Glad you have finally received a delivery date. Other threads on this forum have indicated colors are now limited to white, black and silver.
The Following User Says Thank You to Boxster1971 For This Useful Post:
sassyinpink (09-02-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 02:32 PM   #65
Davydd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Glad you have finally received a delivery date. Other threads on this forum have indicated colors are now limited to white, black and silver.
They are probably right if they want to get a van now. My original choice was still listed and made the cut in colors. Since it was my wife's preferred choice I guess it is a win-win. :D
The Following User Says Thank You to Davydd For This Useful Post:
sassyinpink (09-02-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 03:46 AM   #66
sassyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
cool! i am thinking really hard to order a black one heehee. the only thing is, for those used to black, does it heat up really warm interior in the sunny days?
i have been driving a white car and not sure if a black one does get hot?
sassyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:03 PM   #67
Twinbridges

I have a black one. Very handsome but a bear to wash. Shows dust and water streaks. Next one will not be black! Hand drying is not a lot of fun. Ladder moving a drag.
Twinbridges is offline   Reply With Quote