Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Advanced RV

Old 06-28-2014, 02:40 PM   #111
sailquik

Thanked 5,491 Times in 3,331 Posts
Default Re: Living With My New Advanced RV

Davydd,
Yes, the wheels in your photos are the std. MB Silver 3500 5.5Jx16 516/519 (3500 in the USA) series wheels.
As far as rotating the tires correctly using 4 alloy wheels and 2 steel wheels, yes they have to be dismounted and
remounted to stay with the MB recommended rotation schedule.
The reason you cannot just put 6 or 7 Alcoa Alloy wheels on a Sprinter and then rotate them normally is that the
hub centric lugs on the end of the full floater axle, and the rear wheel studs are too short to accommodate the
thicker hub web of a stacked pair of the Alcoa wheels.
The stamped steel OEM 5.5Jx16 MB 516/519 series (3500 USA) are thinner and can be stacked/paired and still
engage the hub centric register diameter on the ends of the rear axle, and also have a few threads showing outside
the lug nuts on the 6 wheel mounting studs.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Suspension Seats, Active Safety Package +, Parktronic, OEM Hitch/wiring
OEM back up camera, Bi Xenon light package, fog lamps, headlight washers.
Had 2006 T1N 3500/158|2010 NCV3 519/3500/144|2011 & 2012 NCV3 519/3500 170
sailquik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sailquik For This Useful Post:
Davydd (06-28-2014)
Old 06-28-2014, 03:08 PM   #112
Davydd

I guess aluminum alloy is out. Imagine the cost for a tire rotation. I now have Michelins from Discount Tire and they give life of the tire free rotation. I wonder if they would do so if they had to remount tires? I got very frustrated with the nearest Freightliner dealer. They said they couldn't rotate tires on a Sprinter that was clearly indicated on the M-B service schedule. I didn't argue with them as I had the Discount Tire deal. So my last service was at a new Mercedes Benz dealer in Rochester, MN 100 miles away. Not too much of a problem since it is on our frequent route down to La Crosse, WI and we could just hang around for a couple of hours with a Target, Dick's and Lowes next door.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:27 PM   #113
bobojay

David, just for curiosity, how's the service prices at MB Rochester compared to your Freightliner dealer close by?
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:39 PM   #114
Davydd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
David, just for curiosity, how's the service prices at MB Rochester compared to your Freightliner dealer close by?
Unfortunately it was more expensive but they were also way more thorough, explained all their services, washed the van and even cleaned the inside of the windshield, and served free coffee and powerbars. :)

BTW, the Freightliner dealer is not exactly close. They are 40 miles away on the same highway we take to Rochester. We have a Mercedes Benz dealer about 8-10 miles away that has a subsidiary that sells Pleasure-way Class Bs. Ironically, after two years doing that they still don't service Sprinters. A Sprinter service for a Mercedes Benz dealer is supposedly a million dollar investment said the M-B rep at Advanced Fest.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:58 AM   #115
bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Unfortunately it was more expensive but they were also way more thorough, explained all their services, washed the van and even cleaned the inside of the windshield, and served free coffee and powerbars. :)

BTW, the Freightliner dealer is not exactly close. They are 40 miles away on the same highway we take to Rochester. We have a Mercedes Benz dealer about 8-10 miles away that has a subsidiary that sells Pleasure-way Class Bs. Ironically, after two years doing that they still don't service Sprinters. A Sprinter service for a Mercedes Benz dealer is supposedly a million dollar investment said the M-B rep at Advanced Fest.
I wish the MB Sprinter dealer here in Kansas City was that thorough. Feels like a regular Chevy or Ford dealer in their waiting room. No extras....
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:25 PM   #116
Unity Traveler
2013 LTV Unity Twin Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondsea View Post
I have 4700 miles on the rig. A couple of days ago I drove down a very steep private drive and upon startup to leave a check DEF message came on. From my readings on this forum I thought that was premature mileage wise. I decided that the sensor in the DEF tank might have been left "exposed" above the fluid level due to the extreme grade. Anyway at my next fuel stop at a typical 7-eleven type gas station that sold diesel fuel I asked if they sold DEF. Sure enough I was surprised that they did near the motor oil and it was just over $6/gallon. It was branded "PEAK" which is a name I am familiar with for products like washer fluid. It was labeled "Blue DEF" although it was clear, not dyed. The gallon jug had no special spout or opening but I was able to pour it in carefully without spilling a drop. Upon startup I continued to get the check message, but the message did not appear after the next startup and it has not returned.

I guess I will never know if the level was really down or if the very steep grade had fooled the tank sensor. My driving is mostly highways with little stop and go city type driving. I was thus surprised to add the fluid at 4700 miles so I tend to believe that the steep grade fooled the system. Does very cold weather use more DEF?
We have replaced our Def Fluid three times & each time the mileage was approximately at the 4500 mile level. Seems to be the norm for us.
Entertainment Center
Macerator
Side Turn Cameras
Unity Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:13 PM   #117
hein
Van Guru

Thanked 1,818 Times in 1,029 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I wonder if they would do so if they had to remount tires
I am a dedicated Discount Tire customer. The manager at my store said they would be happy to dismount the tires to rotate them. I probably won't rotate my MS/2s although I might rotate the spare through front wheels if that's an acceptable practice.

Flying J truck stops are an easy place to get DEF at the pump, BTW. I'm sure others have it also.

Last edited by hein; 12-05-2014 at 05:16 PM.
hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:14 PM   #118
Davydd

You can get DEF fluid at almost any auto store like NAPA, Advanced, O'Reilly, etc. and just about all truck stops. Sometimes you can at regular service stations but only likely if they also sell diesel. When the light comes on you have plenty of time to find a store.